• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My fatigue is gone. My poisoned feeling, gone. PEM, what PEM?

Aidan Walsh

Didn't Alain Moreau mention cumin might be worth trying.
It is anti- parasitic too

An anti-parasitic medicine called Fenbendazole is an animal medicine used now by many to kill Cancer cells see the Joe Tippens Cancer story...Maybe it is not killing parasites at all but regulating the immune system response

Wishful

Do I have to take 1 tsp raw or can I just cook a 1 portion meal

Either should work. The amount needed for an individual might vary, so experiment to see what works best for you, assuming it works at all.

Hmmm, I wonder how many people tried it and found no effect at 1 lvl tsp, but who might have found an effect at higher--or even lower--dosages. ME can't have a theoretical optimum dosage for an individual, since there aren't any reliable theories for how ME or its treatments work.

xebex

I am definitely having some positive affect from Cumin. It’s seems to be clearing up PEM however I’m not a very reliable test subject because I was already seeing some improvement with niacin SAMe (plus zinc and Selenium but not sure they are doing anything) the other thing that’s helping immensely is posture correction. I’ve been trying to improve my posture (minuscule stretches) for 2 years and not really getting anywhere mainly because if I stretched the tiniest bit outside of my limit I’d crash. But the combo of niacin, cumin and SAMe seems to be allowing me to do these stretches better, I do believe fixing my posture (and strengthening the muscles around a slightly unstable T4) is reducing the strain on my nervous system/basal ganglia. It’s all a bit of a headf*ck really but whatever I’m doing cumin is involved and I’m seeing improvement.

Last edited:

SnappingTurtle

Either should work. The amount needed for an individual might vary, so experiment to see what works best for you, assuming it works at all.

Hmmm, I wonder how many people tried it and found no effect at 1 lvl tsp, but who might have found an effect at higher--or even lower--dosages. ME can't have a theoretical optimum dosage for an individual, since there aren't any reliable theories for how ME or its treatments work.
I have been occasionally adding cumin to my marinades and sauces. My kids did not like the change in flavor profile. I am certain any effects I might have gained were diluted, so, I tried a whole teaspoon unground in with the batter for the last waffle yesterday. It tasted pretty good, like a savory bread, so I think I have my cumin delivery system. Will pair nicely with some kind of protein.

I felt better throughout the day while snacking on the waffle (it was huge). Too early to say during this PEM crash but I am hopeful for its PEM relieving properties.

Thank you @Wishful for bringing this to our attention. Anything I can add to my pem-battling arsenal is great.

Wishful

I'm glad it's helping at least a few other people. I ate a lot of cumin pancakes too, but decided that just swallowing the ground cumin was preferable. I got tired of the taste in pancakes.

Woof!

I've suspected that the autonomic nervous system is behind a lot of my symptoms - forgetting to breathe when falling asleep, or thinking I can't breathe when falling asleep but I just need to swallow.

Smiling at anything - it doesn't matter where - also triggers natural breathing. Smiling works so well, it's the basis for a new (and quite practical) approach to dog training. In dog training, smiles work by relaxing our muscles, increasing our endorphin levels and stimulating relaxed breaths. (If you have a dog, check out www.givesmiles.us)

SnappingTurtle

I'm glad it's helping at least a few other people. I ate a lot of cumin pancakes too, but decided that just swallowing the ground cumin was preferable. I got tired of the taste in pancakes.

I just tried tea: steeped 1 tsp whole cumin seed in boiled hot water 2 mins, then strained. To the strained liquid, added dash of ginger, half a lemon and honey to taste. Very good!

godlovesatrier

I had some basic improvement when I tried cumin as suggested on this thread but sadly I had violent diherrea and didn't think to incorporate it into feed to get rid of that issue!! So going to try again from scratch by incorporating it into a soup.

I've found chicken broth soup with fresh garlic and fresh ginger a long with loads of other things has calmed my stomach issues down entirely, although probiotics had done that too but anyway it's helped.

Really hope the cumin works, I've been having trouble getting PEM free lately, started after I tried lomatium dissectum tincture...guess it woke something up :/

I'll let you know how I get on.

Garz

i have been trying this and wanted to update those here who are following

after an encouraging first trail for around 5 days where i felt it was increasing my physical capacity - but then i stopped due to getting a virus and feeling off but not knowing what was going on.

so after that settled down i started cumin again - this time i have this time been taking 2.25g of ground cumin seed with lunch every day for around 2weeks

but in the last few days i have been finding myself increasingly distracted and frustrated and just off - getting out of my normal routine and finding it difficult to get my planned tasks done - my days also became more offset and then as often happens when i fall out of my routine, my general wellbeing went downhill.

i wasn't expecting anything like this from taking a common dietary spice - and being as it was an effect that built up gradually - it kind of crept up on me - and took me a little while to figure out what was going on.

looking at my notes from my earlier short trial i think the same was starting to happen there after a few days. things had ben pretty stable before this so i am pretty convinced it was caused by the Cumin seed

i stopped a few days ago and am happy to report that this effect seems to be dissipating relatively quickly.

just thought that i would mention it in case others wish to try it and can at least look out for these unsettling effects.

it might be possible to get the positive effects, without these over stimulated effects, by dosing once every 3 days or some other reduced schedule - as was suggested by the author of the original thread - but for now i will need to give it a break.

Wishful

Delayed reactions and slow build-up or wearing off does complicate experiments. With results that you aren't completely sure of, waiting a while and trying again might weed out some extraneous factors. I try to test things at least three times, but if the first trial gives a strong negative effect, I might not.

Garz

Delayed reactions and slow build-up or wearing off does complicate experiments. With results that you aren't completely sure of, waiting a while and trying again might weed out some extraneous factors. I try to test things at least three times, but if the first trial gives a strong negative effect, I might not.

yep - its tricky - but over the years i have developed a way of tracking trials and responses graphically that gives me a pretty reliable picture after a couple of attempts.

for me the benefits seem to peak at around 5-7 days of constant dosing at 2.25g a day - more energy, faster walking pace, productivity increases - even small increase in my average sleep - and after that the adverse effects rapidly start to outweigh the positives

its a shame there seems to be a narrow margin between the dose that is helpful and that which causes the adverse effects - i am pretty sure half the dose would do the same thing to me - just take a bit longer to kick in and maybe be a bit milder - but not much help in the long run

doing the same dose every 3rd day might be worth a try for me - similar to your own approach

its a bit surprising as this dose must be well within the range eaten daily by people in regions where it is a common spice in cooking - eg India - and i found numerous trials that were using higher doses long term for effects on blood sugar, IBS etc -

i guess its just testament to how everyone is different ....

Wishful

i am pretty sure half the dose would do the same thing to me - just take a bit longer to kick in and maybe be a bit milder - but not much help in the long run

My experience was that a level tsp of cumin provided 100% effectiveness lasting 3 days. Less than that wasn't fully effective. More than that only increased the duration slightly. I prefer to find the minimum dosage that works, to avoid possible side-effects or possible failure of it. I hope you can find a dosage regime that works for you.

I still get a smile from thinking about the 'soaking your feet in it' post. :)

vision blue

I took cumin yesterday morning and the morning before. Then 24 hours later, it had raised my blood pressure considerably. Is it possible some of you benefit from that effect?

Wishful

Is it possible some of you benefit from that effect?

I can't say that it's not possible, but if it was from BP increase, then other foods and activities that affected BP should have affected my symptoms, but I didn't notice anything of that sort.

Also, the cumin worked effectively when taken sublingually, which seems to imply an effect on the brain. I've found several papers about cuminaldehyde's effects on brain cells, so another so-far unknown one is a reasonable possibility for why cumin blocked my PEM.