• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation: From feeling FANTASTIC back to Square One

Also zinc is dangerous when taking large amounts over a long period. (I can handle no more than 2 days in a row of 50mg per day before I get extreme sick.)

hi @knackers323--

The 23andme test is now an "dna ancestry test". It is not the ancestry info you are seeking from this site; it is your raw data from the test that you download from the 23andme website, and then run it (the raw data) through one of the analysis programs mentioned (GeneticGenie, Livewello, Prometheus, etc.--which can contain cut and paste information from other databases like the U.S. government's dbSNP). Often these analysis programs will format your information into a nice chart/table that you can print out and pore over.

Dr. Yasko uses "Nutrigenomic testing" (http://www.holisticheal.com/health-tests/nutrigenomic-testing through a lab she contracts with.

I don't know what Ben Lynch uses.

The big difference between 23andme and Yasko's tests is simply the price. 23andme is $99.00 and Dr. Yasko's test is $495.00

People who choose 23andme (and then an analysis program) are left to figure out for themselves what the results mean.

People who choose Yasko at least have the benefit of her analysis and recommendations. You need to read about her and figure out if she is the person to help you with all of this stuff.

I don't know if one is better than the other. All of these ideas about methylation snps and how to treat them are still in their infancy, and we are all guinea pigs in our own experiments.

Cheers,
Silverseas2014

@caledonia has a brilliant link at the bottom of her posts that can help you a lot with these questions.

knackers323

@silverseas2014 Thanks very much for the help. Do you happen to know where I can find a list of the current recommended supplements to use at the moment? I remember it kept changing.

If I were taking the supps it shouldn't effect the two tests you mentioned should it?

Hi @knackers323

I know of no "current list of recommended supplements."

The 23andme test is a genetic test---genes are basic units of heredity--that is, you are born with them. I doubt a few supplements will interfere with them.

Please go to @caledonia's links for Methylation---they will help you a lot.

Bottom line: I can't --nor should I--tell you what to take. These are all decisions you need to make. When you find out what works for you please share them with the forum.

Cheers,
Silverseas2014

knackers323

Hi as yep I know that. I actually meant what brand of each supplement. I remember there was a big discussion about what was the most effective brand of methyl b12 as one company changed their product

Valentijn

People who choose Yasko at least have the benefit of her analysis and recommendations. You need to read about her and figure out if she is the person to help you with all of this stuff.
Her analyses is frequently baseless and often directly contradicting the published scientific research into the SNPs.

Her test also tests a few dozen SNPs, versus 23andMe which tests about 600,000 SNPs.

Her analyses is frequently baseless and often directly contradicting the published scientific research into the SNPs.

Her test also tests a few dozen SNPs, versus 23andMe which tests about 600,000 SNPs.

I suppose you could say - she only tests the genes concerned with the outcome of poor methylation. ie. which is where she feels people who suffer chronic illness should focus on.

I don't know as I haven't gone as far as Amy Yasko analysis and help yet - but - I would have thought - if it is better than this other guy's demo - who is not a doctor - it must be pretty good I would have thought.

Valentijn

I suppose you could say - she only tests the genes concerned with the outcome of poor methylation. ie. which is where she feels people who suffer chronic illness should focus on.
Well, most of the ones she tests are on genes which can impact methylation, however many of those specific SNPs tested have no impact.

Valentijn

@Valentijn -- Since I am also homozygous for the MTHFR C677T gene, should I not be taking methyl folate
MTHFR is involved in converting inactive forms of folic acid into active folate. Being +/+ for MTHFR C677T reduces the activity of MTHFR to 30% of ideal. So supplementing with inactive folic acid is probably less effective than supplementing with an active form, for someone who has that MTHFR variation. But there's no indication that anything larger than a normal dose (400mcg or dutifully eating your vegetables) is at all helpful.