• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAF 878 Available - Anyone already using it?

ukxmrv

I've changed the way I take the MAF878 now (after watching the Ruggiero video on the Patiant Advocate website).

I'm holding it in my mouth longer and even gargling with it briefly. When I took the MAF314 I had an intense throat / tonsils and neck gland activation but only a small amount with the MAF878 so far. Nothing like previous.

Now on day 5 of the "new" regime I'm beginning to get throat symptoms and feel horrendous today. Was so wiped out that I left the flat to get my mail and managed to leave my keys in the lock of the mailbox. Not good!

http://cfspatientadvocate.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/professor-marco-ruggiero-on-maf-314.html

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Yes, that video is well worth watching - he said also that you should take the MAF with a high-fibre meal such as a large salad because fibre protects the MAF in the stomach, enabling it to make its way to the gut where it does some good.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
This is my second day of taking MAF - a third of a dose yesterday morning and a two-thirds dose this morning (working up slowly just in case!).

A very small wart which has been on the side of my wrist for maybe a year or so has just detached - am wondering if this could be anything to do with the MAF, but that's probably just wishful thinking, especially after such a short time!

Anyone had anything similar?

I'm sure this has been covered,but I havent gone through all the threads. What is the exact difference between the two?
Why is one better than the other form? thanks

ukxmrv

Don't think that anyone knows Lerae. They are from 2 different sources and I'm not aware of any attempts to compare the ingredients/methods and efficiency.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
So, Day 5 of MAF and feeling worse - stuck completely in the flat most days, largely horizontal, sore ears, throat, sneezing, aching, exhausted, zero brains - have I just got a bug or is this like anyone else's experience with MAF?

:ill:

ukxmrv

It was similar for me on the MAF314 day 5 I started to sneeze and got the start of sore throat/glands. Day 8 it hit with a vengence.

This is where the pain was coming from. I had my other-half take a look and it was red and swollen. so was my face and glands in my neck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldeyer's_tonsillar_ring

With the MAF878 my first month of symptoms are harder to seperate as I got a flu that was doing the rounds and my whole family was sick with that.

Any sign of spots on the face and / or irritability?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Yowser - not looking forward to Day 8, then! :eek:

In Prof Ruggiero's video he says that you should swish the MAF around in your mouth because the pharygeal area has lots of macrophages waiting to be activated - maybe the pain in your pharynx could be a sign that things were starting up? A good sign?

So hard to know with these things what's a good sign and what's a bad one.

No spots or irritability (yet).

ukxmrv

I hope that we're all start to get more good days. With the MAF314 that started within the first month but with a lot of other symptoms around those precious better days.

When I saw the Ruggiero video I realised that maybe I should have taken the MAF878 more slowly but I find the taste so bad I was nearly throwing up. The MAF314 was easier with taste so I probably did drink it more slowly.

The MAF878 (maybe for that reason) just didn't return the acute throat symptoms I got with the MAF314.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Glad you had some good days in the first month - that's very encouraging! I feel like c**p today so I'm very grateful for that. :ill:

I think my MAF's taste is getting stronger even while it's in the fridge - this morning's first spoonful tasted like vomit (there has always been a vomit aftertaste but it's more upfront now!).

So, top tip: I mixed this morning's dose with cinnamon and cocoa powder, which was an improvement, but what made the real difference was adding three drops of stevia. Much more pleasant. Still not what you'd eat for fun but it really took the edge off and I was able to get through it much quicker. The taste has been slowing me down before - I've been trying to swish it round my mouth for a few seconds as per Ruggerio but needed a bit of a rest between spoonfuls because of the taste.

I used stevia because it's the only sweetener I've got in the house but hope to be able to get out to buy some honey today and will use that tomorrow. I'm just adding these things in straight before I take the MAF - I wouldn't want to add it to the big jar in the fridge in case it alters the culture or something.

ukxmrv

Hi Sasha, thanks for the tip for things to mix with the MAF878 to try and take away the sick smelling awfulness of it.

The MAF314 returned some immediate good effects in the first month. The MAF878 however, is proving either to have little effect on me in a good way OR is just slower to show these good effects.

I think that I might improve my chances by doing the swishing around the mouth though.

For the past few days I've not taken any MAF878 as I developed terrible pain from my spine and radiating down my arms and legs. Been very weak on the right side even down to my hands and legs. Black spots before my eyes. Could have been the MAF878 or something else. I'm not sure.

Starting again today and I hope I have some stevia to add to it.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I ordered my MAF 878 through my naturopath. His office just called to say that it arrived leaking badly and unsafe for sale. I think I've read comments about others experiencing broken seals on arrival, so I'm raising the safety concern. The packaging obviously needs attention. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the problem myself.

Can't remember if I already mentioned this but my MAF starter arrived leaking from a tupperware tub with lock-down tabs which were in place - I couldn't understand why the still-sealed tub had leaked, until I rinsed it off and left if out on the kitchen counter. I heard a sort of squeaking noise, went to investigate, and found that the tub was leaking from the lid even though all the starter was in the bottom of the tub. I unlocked a couple of the tabs and was promptly sprayed by starter fluid because it was under pressure - it was culturing and expanding, which is presumably what causes the leaks in transit no matter how well sealed the packaging is (it's leak or explode, I suppose).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Sasha, thanks for the tip for things to mix with the MAF878 to try and take away the sick smelling awfulness of it.

The MAF314 returned some immediate good effects in the first month. The MAF878 however, is proving either to have little effect on me in a good way OR is just slower to show these good effects.

I think that I might improve my chances by doing the swishing around the mouth though.

For the past few days I've not taken any MAF878 as I developed terrible pain from my spine and radiating down my arms and legs. Been very weak on the right side even down to my hands and legs. Black spots before my eyes. Could have been the MAF878 or something else. I'm not sure.

Starting again today and I hope I have some stevia to add to it.

Hi uk - this morning I used a giant, heaped tsp of nutella (a chocolate & hazelnut spread) and 2 tsp of honey plus some cinnamon. It's not delicious but it's not vile either. I hope you can find some combo of things to add in that make it palatable for you.

Other people have mentioned this horrible spine pain and the other symptoms - I'm sorry to hear you've got that. I wonder what it's all about? I wonder if it's a good sign or a bad sign? I'm not looking forward to it!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Day 19 of MAF today - I've found that after about ten days of feeling horrible (which could have been a bug but I sort of doubt it) I was back to baseline for a few days and then for the last couple of days I've been feeling horrible and mostly stuck in bed again, with a slightly runny nose. I take this to be a good sign (because it's change, at least, and a runny nose = immune system doing something, for a change).

Anybody else having/had these kinds of ups and downs in the first few weeks on MAF?

ukxmrv

I couldn't really tell as I had the flu a lot in the first few weeks. The rest of the family had it as well (and the extended family). This made it had to tell what the first MAF878 reactions were.

Is it possible to re-culture from the starter dose? (ie; use some of the yogurt you make to make even more yogurt) the way you would do with any other ferment/culture? Or do you have to order a new starter every month?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Is it possible to re-culture from the starter dose? (ie; use some of the yogurt you make to make even more yogurt) the way you would do with any other ferment/culture? Or do you have to order a new starter every month?
Hi erist - I don't know for sure but I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forum that you can't reculture - it gets further and further from the original culture.

However, if you really can't afford to keep buying the starter, maybe recultured starter is better than nothing. I don't know what I'm talking about, though!

maddietod

Dr. Enlander says you can't reculture, period.

But if you want to research it, look into adding colostrum to the mix........I have some niggling memory that it's the colostrum that gets reduced too far.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
In Prof Ruggiero's video, he says that colostrum in mammals is produced for the first few days after giving birth to support this precise mix of bacteria in the newborn gut, to provide it with that aspect of its immune system. I imagine the colostrum in the starter culture is therefore pretty important.