• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long COVID ME/CFS patient goes into remission after 3 weeks on the antiviral sofosbuvir

Osaca

Wanted to give a short update regarding my Sofosbuvir attempt. Unfortunately, I had no improvement after 28 days. But if I had Long Covid, it would probably be the first thing I would try. In my case, I do not assume a latent RNA virus.
Thanks for informing us! Since every failed and often expensive attempt is always a bit dissapointing, I hope this won't dent your motivation to keep on self-experimenting.

Hip

Another long COVID success story:
I've been taking Sofosbuvir for a week now, and seeing great improvements. Wanted to get an early post out so that anyone on the fence has one more data point.

My mental clarity, energy and libido are up. Libido is higher than during the entire sickness. My muscles don't tire as quickly. First improvements noticed on day 2, and libido has stayed high for five days now, so it's not some one-off random event.

Hip

Another long COVID patient has success with sofosbuvir, see his story here.

However, this patient did not have the ME/CFS form of LC, but was suffering from low libido and short-term memory issues. He found sofosbuvir fixed these issues incredibly quickly, in a matter of a few days.

Another long COVID patient has success with sofosbuvir, see his story here.

However, this patient did not have the ME/CFS form of LC, but was suffering from low libido and short-term memory issues. He found sofosbuvir fixed these issues incredibly quickly, in a matter of a few days.
Sofos is active against many viruses including dengue. My CFS was caused by dengue virus. Can i be a perfect candidate for sofosbuvir?

hapl808

I didn't know anything was effective against dengue in vivo? People I know in endemic regions who have gotten it only received supportive treatment - no antivirals.

BrightCandle

Drug
Sofosbvir with Ledipasvir.

Started initially with just under a month of 1 tablet a day and then 2 tablets for the first 30 tablets. Constantly checked kidney and liver function with urine sticks to make sure I was processing it well.

Then moved onto 10 days at 3x a day for the final 30.

Total 60 tablets of (90mg + 400mg).

Side effects
massive sleep disruption. Brutal vamparic shift and split sleep, felt tired most of the time had a lot of trouble getting enough sleep.

Benefits
None whatsoever. No difference same as I was when I started.

Last edited:

Hip

Benefits
None whatsoever. No difference same as I was when I started.

Can you remind me, did your ME/CFS arise from catching SARS-CoV-2? Or are you an existing ME/CFS patient who later caught SARS-CoV-2 as well, and got worse?

BrightCandle

Very disappointing to hear that sofosbuvir had no benefit for you. I was hoping this drug might fix the worsening of my ME/CFS that arose after catching COVID.
Given the anecdotes and my personal view this is a viral persistence issue I had high hopes for it as well. That is my third antiviral and none of it has done anything. I think what I want to do next is monoclonals that strikes me as the last obvious thing to try.

Wayne

I was hoping this drug might fix the worsening of my ME/CFS that arose after catching COVID.
Hi @Hip,

Just to mention, I had a number of ME/CFS symptoms worsen after COVID. Most very gradually improved over the next year or so, but the worsened vertigo was very persistent and not improving much, if at all.

It wasn't until I started some low-dose methylene blue in February of this year that things began to improve. My vertigo was back to baseline within about 3-4 weeks, and has improved from that baseline in the past few months. -- Good luck finding something that works well for you. -- Best.