• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Level of Activity and Sleep

Treeman

Hi, I've been seeing some small improvements recently with my health. What I've also noticed is that the less active I am the better I sleep and the more active I am the poorer and more disturbed the sleep is. Does anyone else see that, and does anyone have a theory on the under lying cause? Thanks.

BrightCandle

Absolutely. The further from PEM I am the better things get and the more I can do. Sleeping well at the moment!

There are a million theories, my pet one is ammonia build up and removal being too slow but I suspect its downstream of the cause of this package of misery.

xebex

I’ve always been like this even before i got sick which suggest to me that’s it’s a neurotransmitter issue. My daughter is also like this- the more active she is the more hyper she gets and the less she can sleep - she’s not sick (yet but is showing some very mild signs) I do wonder if people who experience this have the COMT slow gene (met/met) which means they struggle to break down dopamine fast enough which would cause that revved up feeling after exercise.

wabi-sabi

What I've also noticed is that the less active I am the better I sleep and the more active I am the poorer and more disturbed the sleep is.
Yes, I have this too! For me, poor sleep is part of PEM. Ironically, the more tired I am and the more I need sleep, the less I can sleep- gotta love the disease, right?

Sometimes worse sleep is the first/most mild sign of PEM. It's totally the opposite of what happens in healthy people where exercise promotes good sleep. I just think of it as PEM messes with everything.

lenora

Exercise is only sleep inducing if it isn't done near bedtime. Laughter can also leave me awake for an entire night, and then the following, etc. Right now I've been in a period of sleep, but it will end and then the long nights will appear again. It's a nuisance, for sure.

I think eating also has some connection, but I couldn't tell you exactly what. I don't like milk, but find that warm almost milk (almond, for example but it could be any type), vanilla & a small amt. of sugar will help me fall asleep. The rest is up to my body. I'll often wake up 2 hrs. later, but then I often have to urinate anyway.

I haven't been able to get answers at the sleep clinics (waste of time for me and countless others) and we all leave with prescriptions for trazodone, which doesn't work for me at all. For the most part, no sleep med works after the first night. I don't even bother any longer....at least I can't be accused of being addicted to them.

I've learned to live with this now....know it comes from the sleep center (close the brainstem, where I have had surgery) and know that a lot of us live with this problem. I used to exercise in the morning, but it's been awhile and I can't say that things were any better then. I wish......! Yours, Lenora.

Rufous McKinney

Sounds just like a typical issue that we do best staying with in our envelop. Going out side it, is tricky and just very likely to lead to PEM.

so only a tiny increment of Push on Activity is allowed.

Wishful

For me it's activity--physical or cognitive--after 2:30 PM. That will induce insomnia in the wee hours of the morning. Activity before that, even if quite strenuous, doesn't harm my sleep. I don't get PEM anymore, so I don't think it's linked directly to that.

lenora

Hello @wabi-sabi.....I'm a great reader and find that helps me tremendously. Now a truly exciting ending won't do it, that's sure to keep me awake reading, but history and slow paced things help. As a matter of fact, I know I couldn't sleep unless I had a good 2 hrs. or more of reading tucked in there (after watching TV). Some nights we just read and listen to soft music....nothing too hyped up. Magazines are also good, especially business ones. Informative on many fronts, but not too exciting and it's good to finish an article and then doze off. My husband's hooked on things that are business related. The New Yorker & Atlantic are also good for those who don't really like to read but do like to stay informed. Boring couple, huh? Yours, Lenora.

lenora

That's a good idea....books on tape. If reading gives you PEM, then listen away! Yours, Lenora.

kjetilv

kjetil
I’m sorry for that @wabi-sabi. It’s the same for me for the most part, luckily on some days I can read for shorter periods of time. I find that reading hardback books are better, I can lay on my side and keep the book open with a hand or two, and a pillow behind the book. A bit more relaxing for me than sitting and reading, which I rarely can do because of PEM. I’m sorry if this too is too tiring @wabi-sabi, I hope you get better. All the best. Kjetil

Woof!

I’m sorry for that @wabi-sabi. I can lay on my side and keep the book open with a hand or two, and a pillow behind the book. A bit more relaxing for me than sitting and reading, which I rarely can do because of PEM.
Hi Kjetil.
Since reading a good book helps me get to sleep, and since I can sit to read when propped up by pillows and something that supports my lower back but PEM often makes it impossible for my arms to support the weight of a book, what I've found works well is a lucite plate-holder placed upon a bed-tray (tray with legs). The plate-holder holds the book up and open, so all I need to do is turn the pages. It's a life-saver, because reading lying down is a no-go with all my neck issues.

Woof!

For me it's activity--physical or cognitive--after 2:30 PM. That will induce insomnia in the wee hours of the morning. Activity before that, even if quite strenuous, doesn't harm my sleep.
That's an interesting observation!

I try to be productive (either physically OR mentally, depending upon energy level and brain fog) from early morning to around 1 o'clock, when I frequently head to bed to try and regain some energy, but sometimes the presence of other people pulls me out of this time zone and I wind up being active later in the day. That happening every once in a while has seemed to be something I could get away with, but I might be wrong - your point is well taken.

Right now I'm dealing with the second week in a row of disturbed-sleep nights where I wake sometime between midnight and 3:30 and I can't get back to sleep, night-upon-night. Putting things together, I wouldn't be surprised if this is occurring because I've pushed myself beyond 1 or 2 o'clock.

Crap. :oh-dear: I've got a few days ahead of me in which I am hoping to push myself some more... (prescheduled; I can't do anything about it). Oh well. I promise to pay my energy reserves back with sufficient rest when it's all done.