• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jarred younger herbal supplements for neuroinflammation

Sarah94

So I found (on health rising website) this is the list of herbs that Jarred Younger is looking at for potentially reducing neuroinflammation. Have you tried any of them and did they help?

Cucurmin
Luteolin
Resveratol
Gastodia Elata
Obovotal
Inflexin
Pipera kadsura
Ganoderma lucidum
Berberine
Isodon japonicas
Epimedium brevicornum
Stephania tetranda
Stinging nettle
Fisetin
Pycnogenol
Boswellia
Kratom

I have tried the first three. Strong positive effect from curcumin. Small positive effect from resveratrol. Not sure if any effect from luteolin.

Wolfcub

I did experiment with a few anti-inflammatory herbs (non specific) but they were
Rosemary
Lemon Balm
Meadowsweet
Licorice.
Ginger
And added Astragalus.
I noticed no ill effects, but not much improvement either, if any. I refrigerated the mix and it did make a lovely cool refreshing drink though.
I noticed some slight benefits from Astragalus last year during a very bad phase (though that isn't listed as an anti-inflammatory) But the third time I tried it, not much benefit.

cb2

Yes, yes, yes. Ganoderma lucidum has taken away 90% of my brain fog, depressions during crash, has made my OI way better and it's bringing me from moderate to mild. I take it in combination with Cordyceps sinensis, which is great for mito support and gave me also very important improvements (from severe to moderate).

@poetessinmotion do you mind sharing which brand you have found helpful? and how much you take? I believe Host defense makes something with reishi and cordyceps..but not sure how effective it is.
congratulations on going from severe to moderate..that is amazing! wondering how long it took?
thank you

JES

Ganoderma lucidum (reishi or lingzhi) and astragalus are considered immune stimulators, as the polysacchardies they contain actually stimulate the production of inflammatory cytokines. So the mechanism by which these work is probably not through reducing neuroinflammation, but rather by helping the immune system in some other way.

There is little evidence that most of these herbs are of much use in reducing neuroinflammation. The neuroinflammation that Jarred Younger has found is inflammation specifically in the brain and from what I have understood, in order to reduce neuroinflammation and microglial activation in the brain, one would want something that crosses the blood brain barrier and that reaches a high enough concentration in the body to be useful. Unfortunately it seems that most herbal supplements are not really capable of doing this.

Jarred Younger has spent quite a few years now looking for substances to reduce neuroinflammation and I must say I'm a tad bit disappointed with the progress of research around neuroinflammation. My own experience in taking anti-inflammatories, including drugs like LDN that should be more potent than herbs, is that they seem to have a mild positive effect for a while and then stop working. I'm afraid that research needs to dig deeper and try to find whatever underlying issue that is causing the neuroinflammation rather than just trying to suppress the inflammation.

ljimbo423

So I found (on health rising website) this is the list of herbs that Jarred Younger is looking at for potentially reducing neuroinflammation. Have you tried any of them and did they help?

Thank you for posting this list. I am taking curcumin and resveratrol and they both seem to help with symptoms a little. High dose epa/dha(4-4.5 grams a day) from fish oil has helped to stop flu-like flares in a big way.

I've only had 1 flu-like flare in 7 months. 7 months ago is when I started the high dose epa/dha. I still get PEM exactly 2 days after I over do it, physically and it always lasts one day but that also seems to me milder.

cb2

I think IGG crosses the blood brain barrier..but dont know if it works for inflammation...seems even calming down the inflammation would help us to have a better way of life while they work towards resolving the "why"

BadBadBear

Curcumin works really well for my muscle pain, however, after being on it for a while I have a sore throat and mouth sore (never a good sign for me) and it seems to wreck havoc on my hormones. My doc says I am, of course, the only person she knows who has these side effects with it. I am planning to move to LDN and hope it does as well for the muscle pain, because curcumin + Celebrex is the bomb (and I read studies of them working synergistically).

@poetessinmotion do you mind sharing which brand you have found helpful? and how much you take? I believe Host defense makes something with reishi and cordyceps..but not sure how effective it is.
congratulations on going from severe to moderate..that is amazing! wondering how long it took?
thank you

When I started treatment I was severe and now I'm reaching the mild spectrum. This has happened in a year, I started last May.
I take a Spanish brand, Hifas da Terra, which is pretty expensive but really trustworthy. They have for sure no heavy metals or other nasty stuff, and they are participating in clinical trials in several Spanish hospitals for patients with cancer. They only work with mushrooms, it's their specialization.

Cordyceps increased my energy and reduced my cardiac symptoms. I take 2 capsules a day. I noticed improvements quite quickly.
With reishi it has been amazing, noticed the first improvements in the first day at a very low dose, now I take one capsule a day but I'm wondering if I should go up to 2. I've taken it for a month and it's been my best days so far.

pamojja

curcum, boswelia and resveratrol have not helped me much

How much of each did you trial? I'm asking because I heard some time ago Dr. Datis Kharrazian say in 1 interview that cucurmin and resveratrol would work against brain-inflammation, though at higher doses of at least 1 g/d each.

Personally just having had an unexplainable high rise in hs-CRP I trialled 1 g/d of boswelia extract (during my vacation in South-India), along with the about 1g of cucurmin 95% extract and 200 mg/d resveratrol I already was taking. CRP came down again.

How much of each did you trial? ....

.... I heard some time ago Dr. Datis Kharrazian say in 1 interview that cucurmin and resveratrol would work against brain-inflammation, though at higher doses of at least 1 g/d each.

I tried Resveratrol in small doses.
Curcumin - I definitely took 1g per day

I have both grape seed extract and polygonum cuspidatum (the powdered plant) at home and wonder about what to try first. Regarding polygonum what raises my doubts is that it can mess up hormones in women and even produce depression. Grape seed extract, on the other hand, is a powerful antioxidant and also a blood thinner, which is interesting for me because I should be taking one baby aspirin per day but I can't because I'm taking florinef and they are supposedly not compatible. So I wonder about my next movement...

ljimbo423

I have both grape seed extract and polygonum cuspidatum (the powdered plant) at home and wonder about what to try first. Regarding polygonum what raises my doubts is that it can mess up hormones in women and even produce depression. Grape seed extract, on the other hand, is a powerful antioxidant and also a blood thinner, which is interesting for me because I should be taking one baby aspirin per day but I can't because I'm taking florinef and they are supposedly not compatible. So I wonder about my next movement...

I hear you. I wish I had a dollar for every time I asked myself, if I should or shoundn't take a supplement.:lol: I don't have any good advice, except to use your best judgement.:thumbsup:

Shoshana

Northern USA
Very good thread, thanks to all of you for each one's input and ideas.

A couple notes of caution: Licorice root , can help many people, but is not advised for those with high blood pressure problems.
And reishi, etc, could be beneficial for some, but i had allergic reactions, so i now steer clear of mushroom products.

I wonder if Butterburr would cross the blood-brain barrier or not. It is often suggested for migraine/head pain, and i did find it helpful some years ago. I had forgotten about it, and it is NOT on the list on this thread, but i am glad it reminded me, and i will try it again.