• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is thirst a thing for us?

Rufous McKinney

I'm always thirsty ...
I can't seem to quench my thirst ..
Is this a thing with CFS ?

I experience lots of something described as dryness. But I am no particularly thirsty, nor do I drink much in terms of volumn. I sip. For instance, I'd never just chug a glass of water, not unless I was outside or in the Mohave.

That dryness is tied into a Yin Deficiency, leaving Yang (heat, overheated, inflammed, our friend).

But thats not quite- thirsty.

Maybe we need a poll?

Emmarose47

I experience lots of something described as dryness. But I am no particularly thirsty, nor do I drink much in terms of volumn. I sip. For instance, I'd never just chug a glass of water, not unless I was outside or in the Mohave.

That dryness is tied into a Yin Deficiency, leaving Yang (heat, overheated, inflammed, our friend).

But thats not quite- thirsty.

Maybe we need a poll?
Thanks how do we do a poll ?

Rufous McKinney

I also confuse this dryness with thirst.

I- have saliva.....I have to swallow...often. I notice that, but I can also have a Grand Canyon cutting thru the middle of my tongue, quite painful. Or my throat rather doesn't swallow well- vitamins get lodged.

Yes well, the tongue reveals- the breadth of the whole body affected by all this. I mostly go to the chinese herbalist, where its pulses, tongues and- Oh your back.

Emmarose47

It seems to be a thing with dysautonomia and POTS, which many people with ME/CFS also have. When I wake up in the mornings and my symptoms are the worst, I am so thirsty all the time (and I'm always running to the bathroom!).
What's dysautonomia ?

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
What's dysautonomia ?

That is a great question! I'm a bit too fuzzy to answer in my own words right now, so I'll copy and paste from the Dysautonomia International website:

Dysautonomia is an umbrella term used to describe several different medical conditions that cause a malfunction of the Autonomic Nervous System. The Autonomic Nervous System controls the "automatic" functions of the body that we do not consciously think about, such as heart rate, blood pressure, digestion, dilation and constriction of the pupils of the eye, kidney function, and temperature control. People living with various forms of dysautonomia have trouble regulating these systems, which can result in lightheadedness, fainting, unstable blood pressure, abnormal heart rates, malnutrition, and in severe cases, death.

Dysautonomia is not rare. Over 70 million people worldwide live with various forms of dysautonomia. People of any age, gender or race can be impacted. There is no cure for any form of dysautonomia at this time, but Dysautonomia International is funding research to develop better treatments, and hopefully someday a cure for each form of dysautonomia. Despite the high prevalence of dysautonomia, most patients take years to get diagnosed due to a lack of awareness amongst the public and within the medical profession.

Many people with ME/CFS have some form of dysautonomia; it seems to go hand-in-hand with certain autoimmune disorders. One form of dysautonomia you'll see discussed often here it POTS: postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Simply, it means your heart rate goes way up when you're upright, but it can also cause a very wide range of other symptoms (including excessive thirst). There are a few subforums here where it is discussed:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/forums/autonomic-cardiovascular-and-respiratory.95/
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/forums/problems-standing-orthostatic-intolerance-pots.7/

Booble

I have another weird thirst thing. I drink a glass of water or two before brushing my teeth at night and yet brushing my teeth, no matter how hydrated I am, makes me thirsty! So I drink another glass of water. Then I go to bed and inevitably about 15 minutes in I get a little bit of heart racing, heat and.....drumroll....thirst!

Good thing my bladder is like a camel.

Pyrrhus

Very common in cfsme. Drink like fish and pee like a race horse. Possibly diabetes insipidus.

Yes, this "diabetes insipidus" refers to a deficiency in the hormone vasopressin (AKA anti-diuretic hormone AKA ADH). But it has nothing whatsoever to do with what people commonly refer to "diabetes".

Basically, a disturbance in the hypothalamus (HPA axis) reduces the amount of vasopressin, which results in poor retention of water in the body.

This hypothalamic dysfunction is discussed here:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/is-your-hypothalamus-up-the-creek.81181/

That is a great question! I'm a bit too fuzzy to answer in my own words right now, so I'll copy and paste from the Dysautonomia International website:

Excellent quote!

Simply put:
"Dysautonomia" is a general term for any dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system.

The autonomic nervous system is any part of the nervous system that controls unconscious activity in the body.

Therefore, the failure of the hypothalamus in the brain to release enough vasopressin is a form of dysautonomia.

L'engle

moogle
I'm often very thirsty as well as having dry throat and mouth. If I drink too much it just goes through but other times I can drink alot without a problem. I've despaired of finding a type of tea I can drink as even mint and chammomile seems to make the diuretic situation worse. I mostly drink water and goat's milk, sometimes fizzy water, which 'feels' more thirst quenching but might be just more refreshing. I used to follow the '6-8 cups of liquid a day' guideline and just had to go to the bathroom constantly. It really varies by the day, slat intake etc.