• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Instantaneous effect from Methylfolate/B12?

Freddd

Where would I find the list?

I can tell you that this whole disease is in my brain. It started with encephalitis (never found out what the causative virus was) and since then any and all damage and disease progression has been in my brain. Its 90/10 brain/body.

I had a SPECT scan and it showed 9 areas of hypoperfusion. I have yet to find anyone else even close to this.

My whole life prior I never had any anxiety or panic, I was very calm. However, I was given a brief dose of ativan to counter some thyroid medication a fee years ago and I went into absolutely hellacious withdrawal. I have never recovered from it and am now more prone to anxiety due to the increased glutamate in my brain from the ativan. TBH, that pill is whole reason I have ME.

I will track down that list and color code it for you, but I can tell you now that I seem to have the worst psychiatric symptoms of anyone I've seen here.

Hi Aerose,

Can you describe the Ativan withdrawal? How long did you take it and how much? That could just nail down one characteristic and area.

The list is #27, 13 or 14 posts before this one on this thread.

Gondwanaland

Absolutely. I'd say one of my biggest problems is not pain, or fatigue, but motivation. I can't seem to do things that I claim to want to do and that are oh-so-straightforward. It's more than mere fatigue, it feels like a weird sort of depression? Listlessness more than anguish or anhedonia. Procrastination and escapism ensue. B12 and methylfolate have both on occasions 'switched me on' and suddenly my todo list is a no-brainer and I'm up and doing things without any thought.

Story of my life.
I am curious to compare your SNPs to mine.

Aerose91

@Freddd, thank you for looking at this for me

Lets do symptoms first

Red = Worst chronic symptoms
Orange = Chronic but not as severe
Blue = Occasional

morning joint stiffness and pain
paleness
acid reflux
nausea
daily vomiting
standing with eyes closed, lose balance
hands feel gloved with loss of sensitivity - glove anesthesia
feet feel socked by loss of sensitivity - stocking anesthesia
glove and stocking anesthesia
neuropathic bladder
unable to release bladder, mild to severe
unable to fully empty the bladder
fecal incontinence - occasionally to frequently
diminished hearing - gradual onset or present for life, sudden return possible
tinnitus - ringing in ears
always feeling cold
intolerance to loud sounds
intolerance to multiple sounds
sleep disorders
non restorative sleep

Night terrors
Prolonged hypnagogic or hypnopompic states transitioning to/from sleep
Sleep paralysis
alteration of touch all over body, normal touch can be unpleasant and painful
alterations and loss of taste
taste hallucinations
smell hallucinations
sound hallucinations
visual hallucinations <-- distortions more than hallucinations

alterations and loss of smell
loss of smell and taste of strawberries specifically
loss or alteration of smell and taste of potato chips specifically
roughening and increased raspiness of voice, mb12 can smooth it in mid word
blurring of vision - can be sudden onset and sudden return
Visual impairment can be seen; ophthalmological exam may show bilateral visual loss
optic atrophy
centrocecal scotomata
hypersensitivity/intolerance to bright light
intolerance to loud sounds
intolerance to multiple sounds

burning muscle pain

Bursitis
stomach not emptying
frequent vomiting
acid regurgitation
dyspepsia
flatulence
altered bowel habits
abdominal pain
loss of appetite for meat, fish, eggs, dairy, the only b12 containing foods
nutrient specific anorexia
intermittent constipation
intermittent diarrhea
irritable bowel syndrome
sores, ulcers and lesions along entire GI tract or any part
anorexia
Bulimia
Hypersensitivity to touch
Hypersensitivity to odors
Hypersensitivity to tastes
Hypersensitivity to clothing texture
Hypersensitivity to body malfunctions, symptoms
Hypersensitivity to sounds and noises
Hypersensitivity to light and visual stimuli
Hypersensitivity to blood sugar changes
Hypersensitivity to internal metabolic changes
Hypersensitivity to temperature changes

burning bladder (no UTI)
painful urgency (no UTI)
burning urethra (no UTI)
Low blood serum level - below 550pg/ml, Japanese Standard
elevated MCH (Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin)
elevated LDH
big fat red cells (when said this way usually with happy or healthy modifying it completely misinterpreting results of MCV
platelet dysfunction, low count
white cell changes, low count <-- at first during encephalitis, has since recovered
hyper segmented neutrophils
headaches
inflamed epithelial tissues - mucous membranes, skin, GI, vaginal, lungs
inflamed endothelial tissues - lining of veins and arteries
mucous becomes thick, jellied and sticky
asthma
chronic cough that mimics asthma but isn't
chronic sinus congestion
dermatitis herpetiformis, chronic intensely burning itching rash
frequent infected follicles or acne type lesions all over body
chronic infections, many varieties possible
Seborrhic dermatitis
dandruff
eczema
dermatitis
skin on face, hands, feet, turns brown or yellow if anemia occurs
poor hair condition
thin nails
transverse ridges on nails, can happen as healing starts
mouth sensitive to hot and cold
sore burning tongue
beef-red tongue, possibly smoother than normal
sore mouth, no infection or apparant reason
teeth sensitive to hot and cold
canker sores

splits/sores at corners of mouth -angular cheilitis
impaired white blood cell response
poor resistance to infections
easy bruising
pronounced anemia
macrocytic anemia
megablastic anemia
pernicious anemia
decreased blood clotting
MCV > 93 first warning,
MCV > 97 alert
MCV > 100 outright macrocytosis
MCV > 105 urgently needs treatment, severe problem

lack of dreaming
MCV > 100 outright macrocytosis
macrocytic anemia
metallic taste in mouth
Widespread body & muscle pain responding to NSAID
Joint pain responding to NSAIDS
splits/sores at corners of mouth -angular cheilitis

reduced libido - loss of sexual desire
loss of orgasmic intensity
unsatisfying orgasms

inability to orgasm
loss and/or change of genital sensations
burning genital skin sensation
unable to feel aroused
numb genital skin
low sex hormones

MEN

low testosterone men
low growth hormone
erectile disfunction men

low sperm count
poor sperm motility
Poor sperm quality
no sperm

Elevated CSF Hcy
Low CSF cobalamin
limbs feel stiff
Drowsy

dimmed vision - usually not noticed going into it because change can be very slow or present for life
Clumsiness

Slow to adapt to night vision

Difficulty in word finding

Brainstem or cerebellar signs or even reversible (with mb12) coma may occur
demyelinated areas on nerves <-- shown on cellular lipid tests
subacute combined degeneration
axonal degeneration of spinal cord
unsteadiness of gait
ataxic gait, particularly in dark
positive Romberg

positive Lhermittes
Loss of motor control over some or all of toes
Loss of motor control over part or all of feet
Loss of sense of joint position
sudden electric like shocks/pains shooting down arms, body, legs shooting down from neck movement
sudden "ice pick" pain
decreased reflexes
brisk reflexes
Foot Drop
tripping over toes
injuring toes catching top of toes on floor
general feeling of weakness

weight loss involuntary
muscular atrophy
exercise does not build muscle <-- complete exercise intolerance, was a personal trainer prior to this

weight gain, watery fat
edema

mild to extremely severe fatigue
continuous extremely severe fatigue
easy fatigability
severe abnormal muscle fatigue up to and including apparent paralysis leading to death
weakness
muscle pain especially around attachment points to bones
Eighteen severely tender muscle spots of FMS

exercise debilitates for up to a week, making things much worse
accumulating muscle pains following exertion
sore muscles throughout body
lack of muscle recovery after exercise

High urinary MMA

congestive heart failure
Elevated CSF MMA
Elevated uMMA

shortness of breath, oxygen hunger
heart palpitations

extremely sore neck muscles reversing normal curvature of neck
painfully tight, stiff muscles, especially legs and arms

frequent muscle spasms anywhere in body
weak pulse

Confusion
Disorientation

Difficulty in word finding

irritable
depression
SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder
mental slowing
personality changes
chronic malaise
poor concentration
moodiness
tiredness
mood swings

memory loss
listlessness
impaired connection to others
mentally fuzzy, foggy, brainfog
dizziness - even unable to walk
Vertigo

psychosis, including many of the most florid psychoses seen in literature, megaloblastic madness
Alzheimer's
delirium
dementia

paranoia
delusions
hallucinations - multisensory
anxiety or tension
nervousness

mania
Widespread pain throughout body

** Id like to note this doesn't list 2 of the 3 symptoms that are the absolute worst for me

1- SEVERE Dissociation
2- Feeling as if the "walls" of my consciousness are imploding
3- Psychosis

**All 3 of these are directly influenced by energy expenditure and have become more severe and permanent since overexertion a year ago.
They do not fluctuate or change at all. The neuro-psychological symptoms are the baseline of this disease for me

I have had some pretty in-depth tests done that supposedly shows that my brain cells are NOT dying, which is great, but I don't know how dependable those tests are.

Current Medications

**These are to balance my 4:1 omega 6 to omega 3 ratio in my cell membranes per Patricia Kane Protocol (tests for this were done at Johns Hopkins for cell membrane damage)

Phosphatidylcholine

Evening Primrose Oil
Prometol
hemp oil

**To balance depleted minerals

Manganese
Molybdenum
Zinc
Copper
Potassium
Magnesium
Calcium

**Also
Lipo Vitamin C,
2000 mg hydroxl b 12 (PERQE brand or whatever its called)
B2
B6
B8

I also eat ketogenic diet

**Things that I have taken in the past and have had no effect

Low Dose Naltrexone
N.A.C.
Lipo Gutathione
Curcumin

Now, the ativan. To make a long story short. I first came down with severe adrenal fatigue. I was given thyroid medication as well and it made me very hyperthyroid so I was given 1.5-2.5 mg ativan/night for 2 weeks to slow my heart rate down and sleep. I had severe reactions to the ativan so I was taken off it and went into very severe withdrawal. Over 70 symptoms. This continued for over a year and then I was hit with encephalitis and subsequently M.E. I was not, and probably still am not, recovered from the ativan w/d when the M.E. hit

Aerose91

@boo85

I apologize if Im hijacking your thread, thats not my intention

@Freddd

Thank you for taking the time to look over this for me. Im open minded to anything, I've just hit a brick wall in everything I've tried and either gotten nowhere or gotten worse

Freddd

@boo85

I apologize if Im hijacking your thread, thats not my intention

@Freddd

Thank you for taking the time to look over this for me. Im open minded to anything, I've just hit a brick wall in everything I've tried and either gotten nowhere or gotten worse

It's not my thread and besides, we are all talking about trying to solve out respective nutritional problems.

Aerose91

@Aerose91 Did Freddd ever pin down a cause for your mb12 intolerance? I'm going through something similar...

No, he didn't know what it was. I've found, tbh, that freddd only knows problems and treatments specific to what he had. Those of us that have situations different than his don't necessarily find much help with the protocol

GreenMachineX

@Aerose91
It’s been a long time, but have figured out your methylcobalamin intolerance? I had the same response and turns out I needed more methylfolate. I’m still experimenting but feeling so much better.

Aerose91

@Aerose91
It’s been a long time, but have figured out your methylcobalamin intolerance? I had the same response and turns out I needed more methylfolate. I’m still experimenting but feeling so much better.
I still haven't, no. If i take 1mg methylb12, within a few days I'm manic as hell and going crazy with OCD.
How much methylfolate did you need to take comparatively to mb12? When do you take them? Im always open to new ideas

GreenMachineX

I still haven't, no. If i take 1mg methylb12, within a few days I'm manic as hell and going crazy with OCD.
How much methylfolate did you need to take comparatively to mb12? When do you take them? Im always open to new ideas

Well, I’m only a couple days into this experiment, but today has been decent with 400mcg methylfolate and 125mcg methylcobalamin which I’ve taken twice so far. This has been with a multivitamin though, I’ve just added extra methylfolate on top. So far each dose was with breakfast and lunch.

Not all symptoms are gone by any means, but I bet it takes longer than a day for a lot to resolve. This stack did make me super relaxed after the first dose, so I took 250mcg adenosylcobalamin sublingual which gave me a boost. It seems b12 is stimulating and methylfolate is relaxing.

I’m undecided if I will take more methylfolate later today though. I’m being definitely cautious with my experimenting because I’ve had several frightening experiences with all this. I’ll update this more later as I continue to experiment. I plan on adding more methylcobalamin to this as the methylfolate allows me.

Aerose91

Wow, you're on tiny doses. Have you ever taken methylfolate without mb12 and seen any result? Also wondering if you've had any tests done- methylmalonic acid, homocysteine, methylation panel, etc

GreenMachineX

Wow, you're on tiny doses. Have you ever taken methylfolate without mb12 and seen any result? Also wondering if you've had any tests done- methylmalonic acid, homocysteine, methylation panel, etc
Yeah, I really don’t tolerate it at all. I haven’t had any tests done other than hormonal blood work, CBC, chem, iron panel, and mthfr which I’m apparently not. I’m afraid to take methylfolate without any b12. I don’t really know what to do lol. But I can’t really afford any more blood tests without insurance and I don’t have a doctor that knows this stuff.

Freddd

No, he didn't know what it was. I've found, tbh, that freddd only knows problems and treatments specific to what he had. Those of us that have situations different than his don't necessarily find much help with the protocol

I think you may find it helpful to read about refeeding syndrome. The exact causes and order of deficiencies is unique to each person. However, what that amounts to is learning how to turn on cell reproduction and fget thinmgs balanced. People who are extremely deficiency of things has heavy duty responses in the first couple of days and then induced deficiency hits hard on the 3rd day after healing starts. Many of the intense responses indicate that one needs to balance things. For instance TMG can turn down that intense startup. Having found the "last folate deficiency symptom/sign" (for me, high MCV). That got rid of all the paradoxical folate deficiency symptoms which were very strong and unpleasant below about 8 mg/day and reducing from there to 45mg/day (l-methylfolate, various forms).. There is a process for figuring out what you need and only you can do that. Others might need only 15mg. Good health. .

Aerose91

I think you may find it helpful to read about refeeding syndrome. The exact causes and order of deficiencies is unique to each person. However, what that amounts to is learning how to turn on cell reproduction and fget thinmgs balanced. People who are extremely deficiency of things has heavy duty responses in the first couple of days and then induced deficiency hits hard on the 3rd day after healing starts. Many of the intense responses indicate that one needs to balance things. For instance TMG can turn down that intense startup. Having found the "last folate deficiency symptom/sign" (for me, high MCV). That got rid of all the paradoxical folate deficiency symptoms which were very strong and unpleasant below about 8 mg/day and reducing from there to 45mg/day (l-methylfolate, various forms).. There is a process for figuring out what you need and only you can do that. Others might need only 15mg. Good health. .
What do you think about methylmalonic acid in this whole gamut? Everytime I've had mine tested it has either been normal or low. My understanding is that low MMA indicates high mb12

Freddd

What do you think about methylmalonic acid in this whole gamut? Everytime I've had mine tested it has either been normal or low. My understanding is that low MMA indicates high mb12

HYPER methylmalonic acidemia, a very bad diagnosis to have made is due to AdoCbl deficiency usually. Most people generate AdoCbl from MeCbl. It requires an enzyme and ATP. Some people don't do it well, like me, as they don't have the needed enzyme or not enough of it or cofactors needed for conversion. There are several places the mitochondria can fail so AdoCbl deficiency isn't the only cause.

By the time HYPER methylmalonic acidemia is diagnosed, a person already has severe damage; multi organ (most of them) degeneration/breakdown. In the cerebral spinal fluid hyper MMA is associated with ALS and Parkinson's and similar disorders.

Having low to normal MMA is healthful. Some (most?) people can convert enough MeCbl to AdoCbl , if they have enough MeCbl) so that doesn't happen. So just using the MMA level as a guide, your mitochondria are working with enough AdoCbl. Mitochondria can fail for other reasons too or there may not be enough of them. Increased MMA is generated when the process breaks at a specific place.

Chemical or biochemical processes can destroy AdoCbl, prevent the conversion of AdoCbl, or destroy the MeCbl.

Having low MMA indicates you have enough MeCbl to support that part of the process but it may not be enough for methylation for instance. An MeCbl failure can cause hyper HCY that can cause strokes, heart disease and other sets of problems different from the hyper MMA effects.

As one resolves some symptoms, the remaining ones become more obvious. Refeeding syndrome occurs for lots of things. My partner took an antibiotic recently that had as it's cautions that it causes mineraL deficiencies and b-complex deficiencies including B12. She got them and the vitamin adjustments took care of them in 3 days. When testosterone causes tissue formation like red blood cells and muscles, can cause refeeding syndrome. Body builders run into it all the time which is why they have to pay a lot of attention to their nutrition. It was the bodybuilders from whom I learned about AdoCbl and tissue formation. Successful healing or other tissue formation can cause refeeding syndrome. Some cancers hijack the body's B12 by generating their own TC2 and cause many secondary symptoms due to the deficiencies it can cause by growing.

Aerose91 said:
"Wow, you're on tiny doses. Have you ever taken methylfolate without mb12 and seen any result? Also wondering if you've had any tests done- methylmalonic acid, homocysteine, methylation panel, etc"

That is very dangerous. Taking methylfolate without MeCbl can cause demyelination (Subacute combined degeneration) in the brain and cord and isn't much different from MS.

Freddd

Yeah, I really don’t tolerate it at all. I haven’t had any tests done other than hormonal blood work, CBC, chem, iron panel, and mthfr which I’m apparently not. I’m afraid to take methylfolate without any b12. I don’t really know what to do lol. But I can’t really afford any more blood tests without insurance and I don’t have a doctor that knows this stuff.

@GreenMachineX,

DON'T take methylfolate without MeCbl. It can damage your brain and spinal cored by subacute combined degeneration, very MS like, caused by demyelination of nerves.

Here are some lists of responsive symptoms and what they respond to. Also a separate list of induced deficiencies of refeeding syndrome by deficient nutrient.

At low methylfolate doses the paradoxical folate deficiency symptoms (some compartments can be deficient at same time as some are healing) at about 90% of effect at 200-400 mcg. For me that meant 200+ symptoms CAUSED BY THE FOLATE DEFICIENCY. At 4 mg daily my deficiency symptoms start reducing substantially. At 30mg I had 2-3 folate symptoms and at 45mg I get down to 0-1 folate deficiency symptoms.

METHYLFOLATE, DEFICIENCY SYMPTOM APPROXIMATE COUNT AND MCV SIZE DOSE RELATION - VERSION 1.1 02/09/18 - Preliminary, use at your own risk.
N = 1, male, 57-69, 200 pounds (after healing is substantial) , 6'1", Probable CblC disease polymorphisms, only L-methylfolate functions. HyCbl, CyCbl, folic acid, folinic acid, vegetable folates, Glutathione, NAC all cause partial methylation block and/or methyltrap without functioning as B12 or folate.

Additional information from others with some confirmation of others at up to 30+mg. This may be one of those things influenced by genetic polymorphisms. The shape of the curve is similar to some other dose-proportionality curves. Deplin studies at 7.5mg and 15 mg appears to fit right into this curve. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
For most of my life I have had changes occur each 2 weeks. In the past 13 years it became clear it was a periodic methylfolate deficiency increase every 2 weeks for unknown reasons, or maybe multiple reasons
MCV appears to be proportional to the number of days of sufficient methylfolate, 2.5% to 3% of red cells affected per day, having the spread of sizes would tell a lot. It takes me 15 MG TID to have enough folate every day all day. This hypothesis about linkage of methylfolate and MCV is one of several I have preferred during various portions of since it has become obvious that it is methylfolate that has that linkage, for me, and not any of the usual suspects, B12 or B6, in the amounts I take them

METHYLFOLATE, CU AND MCV SIZE DOSE RELATION - VERSION 1.2 03/11/18 - Preliminary
N=1, 47 years longitudinal-
" ------------------Dose--------------------------MCV------------------- # symptoms----severity 0-10"
"folic acid,CyCbl 33 years-------------------MCV = 99.8-------------50>>200 10+ "
"MeCbl replaced CyCbl after 33 years"

"folic acid, MeCbl------------------------------MCV = 99.8----------------200---------------10+-"
"folic acid, MeCbl, AdoCbl-------------------MCV = 99.8---------------200---------------10+-"
"400 mcg MF & folic acid---------------------MCV = 99.8---------------200---------------10+-"
"800 mcg MF & folic acid---------------------MCV = 99.8---------------200---------------10+-"
"1600 mcg MF----------------------------------MCV = 99.8----------------50----------------10+"
"2.4 mg (800 TID)------------------------------MCV = 99.5---------------100---------------- 9- " estimated start of falling copper symptoms,refeeding syndrome

"4mg/day (800mcg 5 times/day------------MCV = 99-------------------20-----------------7-"
"8mg/day (portions TID)---------------------- MCV = 98-------------------10-----------------5-"
"16mg/day (4mg QID)-------------------------MCV = 97.1-----------------4-5----------------3-"
"30mg/day (15mg BID)-----------------------MCV = 94.6-----------------2-3----------------2-"
"30mg/day, copper falls to <60--------------MCV = 100.7--------------2-3----------------7-" switched to different form of copper
"30mg/day, copper increases to 66--------MCV = 97.x-----------------2-3----------------3-"
"30mg/day. CU increases 74----------------MCV=97.x-------------------2-3----------------3-"
"45mg/day (15mg TID) Cu to 83-----------MCV = 91.7-----------------0-1----------------0-1-"

Last edited:

GreenMachineX

@Freddd
Thanks sir. I won’t take folate without b12. But I’m having trouble finding the right doses of each. It’s obvious 2 days in, that 800mcg methylfolate and 250mcg methylcobalamin and 250mcg adenosylcobalamin increases histamine as I’m itchy everywhere, eyes peeled open, eyes and hands red...hate it.

But more methylcobalamin makes it worse. Do I need more things like creatine, TMG, etc to take with the methylfolate and methylcobalamin?

Freddd

Hi GreenMachineX,,

The way you are going about it is going to maximize severity and duration of your suffering. With each of these things there are TWO sets of symptoms. First is a healing response and brightening of the the neurological. You may find it very intense because you appear to be very deficient. Then the second set of symptoms are the refeeding syndrome induced deficiency symptoms telling you what you need to titrate up. Also you are assuming that MeCbl increases strength of response in a linear form. At 125 mcg absorbed MeCbl can give a very powerful positive response for the first 3 days and then the refeeding deficiency symptoms occur and are usually many times worse and unpleasant than the beneficial responses. They are telling you what is next most deficient. All of these symptoms are each a flag that healing has started and you have no idea what to do with it.

Are you taking any folic acid? folinic acid? extracted from vegetable b-vitamins? NAC, glutathione? high dose b-complex with the wrong mix like b-50 or b-100, cyanocobalamin, hydroxycobalamin, or too much of some other b-vits cause too much response too fast with MeCbl. Titrating MeCbl is a lousy way to control it. Because all the body effects are mostly started in the first 125mcg absorbed, say from a 1000 mcg sublingual tablet held for 45-120 minutes. Doubling or tripling the dose will increase the intensity of healing only a little. If your goal is to have healing, there are things to learn. So I have found one brand, and there are others, that have nothing disagreeable in them and small enough doses of the other b-complex that it doesn't overdrive some channels. NatureMade B-complex with Vitamin C. "List no. 1338", . They are abou US$7.00/100. I take 1/2 tablet twice a day.

Then you also need A, D, E, C, Magnesium and Calcium, 25 mg or so of zinc, and a trace mineral multimineral tablet. Some lecithin is a good idea. These are your basic cell making ingredients. Then start with just MeCbl. Use a know effective for you brand, something that blows your socks off is great. The catch is you want to turn on healing. When you do that you will have lots of refeeding symptoms and you want to minimize those. Hypokalemia can put someone in the hospital or 6 feet down. So can other undetected symptoms of some minerals.

On the third day usually, refeeding symptoms start. With MeCbl those will be potassium and l-methylfolate. One needs to get those first two balanced before you add the other part of the deadlock quartet (MeCbl, AdoCbl, L-methylfolate and l-carnitine) Each one of these will cause refeeding syndrome symptoms. Day 1-3 healing, days 4 and 5 titrating the nutrient(s) for the one or two items that come up, then often as not mfolate and potassium each increases the healing the other does so they need more of each. So, first you titrate the MeCbl to get healing started and going all day. If you use the sublingual, put it under your lip. When you feel "brightening" chew the tablet and swallow. The brightening won't increase past the next 5 minutes or so. Then when it fades, do it again. You might need to do that 4-6 times a day. Then when the refeeding symptoms start, and itching is hardly ever the first one except for some people and that can be from both folate deficiency and potassium deficiency. The potassium feels deeper and scratching doesn't work at all. If it is histamine driven, allergies are increased severely when there is methyltrap (MeCbl partial deficiency) or paradoxical folate deficiency (refeeding deficiency symptoms). A dose of about 4 mg or more per day will start bringing down the intensity and number of folate deficiency symptoms. With healing started, more cells get started then can be supported by low doses of methylfolate as you take. Discomfort and intensity will go down as you increase the methylfolate. I need 45mg/day to get to zero folate deficiencies as you see a post above this. Many people need to start with 1200+ mg of potassium spread across the day and may go as high as 3000mg or more. When I restored 50 pound of atrophied muscle it was difficult to keep up with the potassium I needed. For starters the typical RFS symptoms are groups 1, 2a, 2b and 3. You may have immediate refeeding syndrome as you are not starting from the beginning. Then when the methylfolate deficiency symptoms and potassium stabilize with the those symptoms gone or rapidly reducing, or healing stops, its time to start AdoCbl. A 10mg sublingual for 45-120 minutes might have a response or your body will have already converted enough MeCbl to AdoCbl that there is no more startup. If there is noticeable startup you could go through another round of potassium and methylfolate deficiency symptoms Then 10mg once a week sublingual will top it off for most people. Then it's start titrating with l-carnitine of an appropriate form. This is the main accelerator. If a person has anxiety as a "usual" symptom, carnitine can be microtitrated with Jarrow Liquid freebase carnitine starting at 100mcg (and adding 2 x 33mcg during the day to keep it more even, on empty stomach. Then increase by one or two 33 mcg doses each day. When it gives a brightening, level off until it fades, and then increase by small increments. If you decide to do this I will tell you how it is done. I've spent 35,000 hours working out the methods and so on. I'm a group health systems analyst, not a doctor. No doctor could diagnose me or treat me with any success. I went to more than 100 with no effect except for the chiropractor helped my back.

Following are the groups of induced deficiency symptoms when starting with the Deadlock Quartet (AdoCbl, MeCbl, Metafolin, L-carnitine fumarate). I usually have 3-lots of the symptoms in any group for it to be a match. Over time I learned earlier and earlier symptoms for early recognition and tend to have the same sets of symptoms over and over.Thats how I got down to 5 day cycles or so.

It took me more than a year to titrate from 64mg to 500mg of l-carnitine, meanwhile going through cycle after cycle with more folate and more potassium as the amount of healing increased with each increase of carnitine especially and most other things. Copper increased my need for potassium by 400mg for instance. So remember, the symptoms on this list can do damage if not reversed. And ask questions if you need. If you look at the Deplin studies you will see that Deplin (brand name Methylfolate) has no side effect symptoms different from placebo. It takes the MeCbl/Mfolate combination to start cells.

Version 2.41 06/11/2018 A work in process, incomplete, limited testing, people come in many variations, use at your own risk.

Copyright 2018, Frederick D. Davis, aka Fred Davis, aka Freddd, copied from original manuscript.

INDUCED DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS FROM REFEEDING SYNDROME. This can follow 5 days of food deprivation, anorexia, or sort of a pinpoint starvation via vitamin or mineral or amino acid deficiencies. Whatever the “most needed” item is will often cause a strong response. The first usual notable symptoms occur on typically the third day of starting a previously insufficient nutrient with normally feeling or seeing the changes within minutes to hours. From MecBL I had over 30 symptoms respond in the first few hours with blow my socks off intensity with neurological startup and potassium deficiency on the 3rd day along with increasing folate deficiencies that took years to figure out. For instance it was noted in the 50s with injections of B12 with potassium deficiency (hypokalemia) as a side effect. It is dangerous and can be unpredictably fatal if not corrected and the cause is continued. When they say people are dying in Syria after they have been starved and given food, they are often suffering REFEEDING SYNDROME. When previous symptoms return that can also indicate a developing deficiency that started hindering cell formation.

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Often called “detox”. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with CyCbl (Cyanocobalamin) it is very common with MeCbl (methylcobalamin) and AdoCbl (adenosylcobalamin) and less so with HyCbl (Hydroxycobalamin).

There does not appear to be a clear order of onset. The order of onset varies widely from person to person but many appear consistent for each episode for any given person. There tend to be more and more intense symptoms as it gets worse. Some people have ended up in the ER because of not recognizing the symptoms.

IBS – Steady constipation, Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum,

Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness

Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), increased pulse rate, increased blood pressure, intense sudden dizzy spells correctable potentially in minutes with water with potassium gluconate for instance.

Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.

Group 2a - Both hypokalemia and l-methylfolate deficiency

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Group 2b – Either or both hypokalemia and l-methylfolate deficiency

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency, partial methylation block to methyltrap on 1 or more internal triage levels. Frequently called “NAC DETOX” or “GLUTATHIONE DETOX”. Can be caused by folic acid, folinic acid and for some people, like me and quite a few others, excess vegetable folates. Further excess B1, B2, B3 and/or inositol can increase methylfolate deficiency symptoms. Methylfolate, MeCbl and just about anything else that starts healing can cause the folate deficiency symptoms.

These symptoms appear in 2 forms generally, the milder symptoms that start with partial methylation block and the more severe symptoms that come on as partial methylation block gets worse or very quickly with methyltrap onset.

Edema - An additional thing I would like to mention. I would never have found it without 5 years of watching the onset of paradoxical folate insufficiency and trying to catch it earlier and earlier and to figure out what was causing it and to reverse it. For me the onset order goes back to the day of onset now with edema and a sudden increase of weight. I noticed that within 2 hours of taking sufficient Metafolin I would have an increase in urine output.

Old symptoms returning in a general sense, a person may have had onset of these hundreds of time if they are on the borderline

Edema

Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores,

Skin rashes, increased acne, Increased itchy acne on scalp and face, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, painful cracks in the skin at the corner of fingernails at approximate right angles to nails, can take months to occur and it may be only non mood or neurological symptoms.

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Increased hypersensitive responses, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract,

Coated tongue, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Increase irritability, Heart palpitations,

Longer term, very serious:

Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, bleeding easily.

High MCV, > 93, persistent and resistant to MeCbl and B6 and/P5P. The warning about too much folate causing subacute combined degeneration which kept folic acid to a max of 800 mcg for decades becasue large folate doses can lower MCV without MeCbl. There is a long history to this.

Group 4 - HyCbl onset, degraded MeCbl onset, MeCbl after photolytic breakdown onset.

Itchy bumps generally on scalp or face that develops to acne like lesions in a few days from start.

Group 5 – Copper deficiency after methylation startup has been achieved which often starts refeeding syndrome. 50mg or more of zinc has been indicated as a possible cause. 200-400 mg of zinc has been linked to copper deficiency. Excess supplemental or environmental manganese is linked to copper deficiency. Any or all symptoms can occur at “low normal range” copper tests. Well after all other observable copper deficiency symptoms showed up, a lower value as copper contibued to fall, MCV suddely went over 100 after it had fallen to

Demyelination of nerves similar to Sub Acute Combined Degeneration except that methylation and ATP startup has occurred, and copper deficiency favors damage to the upper motor neurons with perceived muscle weakness. Brittle nails. Sleep disorders. Mood (especially depression perhaps) and personality changes. Connective tissue breakdown. Spider veins. Varicose veins. Shrinking gums. Gum disease not responsive to usual measures. Unstoppable tooth decay on exposed areas without enamel. Low testosterone

Group 6 – Excess P-5-P, an active form of B6 that appears to drive hematocrit.

High hematocrit. The blood thickens and doesn’t pump as easily. Deep vein thrombosis can result. Other suspected circulatory hazards. Sometimes linked to high testosterone when lowering P-5-P might reduce it.

Group 7 – Excess B-vitamins affecting methylation

When taking the active B12/folate deadlock quartet (AdoCbl, MeCbl, Metafolin, L-methylfolate) Excess B1 - Thiamin, Excess B2 – Riboflavin, Excess B3 – Niacin and/or Excess Inositol can all produce an excess need for potassium to deal with Groups 1, 2a and 2b symptoms and/or produce an excess need for l-methylfolate to reduce groups 2a, 2b and 3 symptoms. A person might not be able to correct by taking potassium or folate and may need to reduce B1 <= 15mg/day, B2<= 10.2mg/day, B3 <=50mg, and inositol below an unknown quantity.

Group 8 – Boron insufficiency.

Arthritis swelling and pain, can be reduced by Boron

Contribution to fatigue, neurological effects.

Runaway tooth decay

Loss of calcium in bones and teeth

15 Surprising Benefits of Boron

Although all of the deficiency symptoms of boron are not fully understood, it is known that boron deficiency might result in the abnormal metabolism of calcium and magnesium. Some of the other symptoms include hyperthyroidism, sex hormone imbalance, osteoporosis, arthritis and neural malfunction.

Group 9 - Vanadium insufficiency

Deficiency of vanadium is poorly known or recognized. It affects tissue permeabilty like insulin.

Group 10 - Lithium insufficiency Non ionizing forms, small micronutrient doses

Lithium allows better permeability of B12 in nervous system membranes. Many people appear to have trouble affecting some B12 deficiency symptoms with B12 even

Group 11 - Iodine insufficiency, especially needed for those who don't eat iodized table salt and/or seafood.

Group 12 - L-carnitine XXXXX, That can be L-carnitine tartrate, L-C Fumarate, L-C freebase, ALCAR and others but usually works only one kind at a time.

neuromuscular pain, feeling of growing inflammation, fatigue, mood changes, sleep problems. These are quick occuring symptoms and they can sprwead to the complete 4 way deadlock over time.

It appears that for most people in this refeeding situation many may respond to only one form of l-carnitine, initially fumarate or ALCAR and sometimes also including a freebase form. However, as the deficienciencies change, the pathways appear to change and the carinitne that worked so well no longer does and the form is some entirely different one, like tartrate or some other variation. A person may need to trial half a dozen forms. A response is usually clear the first day or occasionally several days with micro doses and titration. And it can change based on what else is corrected.

FROM https://www.quora.com/Has-someone-u..._filter__=all&__nsrc__=1&__snid3__=1808215186

Busson

@Freddd Some time ago in this thread you posted that you got a rapid and strong reponse to sublingual methylB12. My question is why does this happen?

I too get this even after taking hydroxoB12 injections (1,000 mcg) for 6 months. Surely my injection dumps B12 into the bloodstream more effectively than sublingual does? I am presuming the conversion from hydroxoB12 to methylB12 takes place relatively quickly.

I believe you have CblC. My own genetics show a mild magnitude 1 CblC pathogenic defect. (I also have mild pathogenic defects in the adenoB12 pathway affecting CblA, CblB and MUT.) Could slightly impaired conversion from hydroxoB12 to methylB12 due to CblC be the reason sublingual methylB12 works so well?

Many people report a quick response to sublingual but I doubt they all have defective Cbl genetics.

garyfritz

When I still had mercury symptoms, I would often wake in the night with extreme agitation and twitching/tensed muscles. I would take a mB12 sublingual and my symptoms would start to fade away literally within seconds. It felt like the tension was just bleeding out of my muscles. It was quite amazing, really. Within a few minutes I would be asleep.

My case seems to have been caused by toxicity (mercury), not genetic, since I haven't needed any supplemental B12 since my last amalgams came out 8 months ago.