• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increasing GABA naturally

L'engle

moogle
@pamojja
This article talks about down regulation of GABA receptors:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2994404/

It seems to be prone to the same issues as other GABA regulators. I guess it would manifest as a dependency where symptoms would be worse than ever if the supplement were decreased or stopped. But I don't know how that would compare in severity to other supplements or drugs. I am trying to be cautious in advance so I don't end up with more problems later.

That's great to know you've been taking it without problems.

pamojja

That study is in mice. Don't ever expect any mice study to replicate in humans. However, I also don't expect my results ever to replicate in others. So many here seem to suffer from anxiety and depression. Though I did have my fill of chronic diseases, those are completely not present in me.

L'engle

moogle
I'm taking it for electrolyte balance, and to help a bit with sleep and with being a bit wired/tense from the electrolyte imbalances, myself. To be fair the article also says that it prevented seizures and kept the rodents alive. However, I'd rather take something into account in advance and no loss if it isn't an issue that assume it won't happen and end up in a bad way. It seems to be overall a protective substance but it pays to be careful.

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
I’m unable to read, watch TV, tolerate sounds and music
Fish oil: there is research evidence and it worked for me. See this post. But it worked in me exceedingly slowly: years. But then, it is a real solution that gave me peace ever since. (Remark: fish oil as a supplement is not very healthy, but eating high omega3 fish is)

What you describe sounds to me like a "sensory gating" problem. Have you googled this term? I found it productive in finding lots of useful information.

However, overstimulation from music seems to be a different thing. I still have that. So I searched a lot and surprisingly, I found a few pieces of music that are super beautiful and do not stimulate me: I started a new thread to collect music that has this special feature to not overstimulate even totally sensitive people. Being intolerant to the stimulating effects of music seems to be a widespread problem for people on PR. So if anybody reading this post has this problem but knows some music that avoids it, please do post on that thread. PR lives from sharing! And this is particularly important for music, where tastes and sensitivities are typically vvvvvvery different. So we need a broad and varied selection to chose from.

Last edited:

SmokinJoeFraz93

Yeah, the testing is complicated. At least with magnesium there is a really high chance you need it and it's harder to end up having too much of so it's a good thing to start with. Most people here seem to do better with magnesium

Today I took the plunge and put 2 cups of Epsom salts in minimum amount of water to the point of where the water fills up to my feet approximately half way in a standard dish basin. I have been taking magnesium at what I thought was high doses for nearly a year, and have not felt the amazing medicinal properties that magnesium holds - until today.

I clearly noticed regeneration of ATP, as using my wheelchair yesterday was causing my muscles to become tired and fatigued easily. Today, I’ve noticed a significant increase in energy, and thus, using my wheelchair has been significantly easier for my arm muscles to take.

My mood is slightly better and I’m able to engage much more with my friend, as your everyday chit-chat or (shit-chat as I call it) is hard for me to partake in as I don’t know what to say. I am thinking that my rubbish diet to start off with, accompanied by stress and ridiculous-prolonged bouts of exercise had depleted my magnesium levels.

I have ordered a 25kg bag of magnesium chloride that works out at under £1/$1 for a kg, so I can’t complain. I am expecting to see improvements as I stay with my ‘2 cups a day’.

Thank you :thumbsup: