• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Many people with CFS/ME find music too stimulating. This thread is to collect beautiful music beneficial for health and not triggering overstimulation

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
I am extremely sensitive to the stimulating effects of music, which are detrimental to me: the music goes on and on in my head, it is disturbing and too stimulating. I resolved my CFS/ME using a ketogenic diet, but this issue stayed. Before CFS, I enjoyed salsa, merengue and bachata dancing to the fullest...

I love music so much that I set out to search and search. I find even "relaxation music" and "chillout music" too stimulating and anything with slowest electric beats just alike... It seemed hopeless. But then I discovered that many old traditional genres of music are good for me and not stimulating. Listen to Armenian Duduk music. Do you find it any stimulating? It is great for me. And while it is sad music, the effect in me is very positive. And I find it vastly beautiful :love::love::love::love: Or listen to Turkish Sufi flute. Or to traditional Indian Bansuri flute or this Iranian artist...

I observed the following effects:
  • surprisingly, exactly their calm and lightly sad nature makes me more focussed on positive and good purposes such as for example researching scientific literature to improve my health
  • I do have POTS which prevents me from going out and meeting friends, let alone go to parties or dance. So this music is a welcome emotional replacement
Research:
  • Playing music produces endorphins, while listening to music selected by the researchers does not (reference - see Experiment 4 in the fulltext)
  • However, if researchers let people chose the music they listen to, then the reactions (thrills) in 3 out of 10 participants were suppressable by endorphin blockers (reference - these interesting details are unfortunately only presented in the fulltext)
  • A valid test of endorphin release by listening to music would be in my opinion if participants bring in their own favourite pieces of music (and of course, have higher numbers of study participants)
  • An entirely different path to health benefits may be the induction of a parasympathetic state, which I associate with slow music composed in minor scales such as the ones I like so much, see below. I leave it to you to find research on this. Please do post.

If you are highly sensitive to stimulating effects of music, this thread is for posts:
  • links to music you find not stimulating or even beneficial
  • which positive effects did you observe?
  • symptoms you get from too stimulating music
  • research papers on effects of music
(I bolded these points because such information is highly useful to increase awareness as to what to look for)

This thread shall be an unconventional one on PR: a thread for peace and love and lots of music :music::heart::music::heart::music::heart::music:

Last edited:

southwestforests

A couple which I play a lot, and one is going right now while I slowly get ready to go to creative writers group meeting, are;

Calm Piano Music 24/7: study music, focus, think, meditation, relaxing music
Started streaming on Dec 26, 2018
relaxdaily
A 24/7 stream of relaxing and calm piano music you can use as study music, focus or concentration music, background music for any mind and creative work, to think, read, code, daydream or reflect, or simply to enjoy. A calm and beautiful selection of recordings I made for you during the past years. I add new tunes constantly.
I hope you enjoy the music and find this stream useful,
I wish you a wonderful day,
Michael (musician and video creator*)

and (this one can at points be a little more energetic than the above)

Relaxing Music: work, focus, light, spa music - 9 hours mix
Published on Oct 3, 2013
relaxdaily
A long, light and relaxing music mix: Background music for work, to focus, study, concentrate, be creative, for use as spa music or simply for pure enjoyment. Original music I composed and created for the YouTube community and beyond.
This music mix video represents most of the music I created during the first two years of my relaxdaily project. It might be especially useful for you if you like to hit one button in the morning and have music playing for almost the whole day.
May the music be a positive energy in your life,
Michael (relaxdaily)

panckage