• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long does it take for methylation to show full effect

Hello!

I've been on a methylation protocol for 2 months now. After 2 weeks I saw some improvement which has been on and off and not really progressed since then. Is this what I can expect for the future or is there a chance that I will continue to improve at say 6 months, 9 months, 1 year?

Thank you

Wishful

The problem with ME is that the answer depends on the individual. What works for one doesn't work for another. Someone might try exactly the same protocol and get gradual improvements over a year, while someone else might show improvements in days ... and then have those improvements disappear a few days later and never show any benefits from that treatment again. Maybe there will be several people who report a similar improvement/timeline, which might increase the odds that it would also apply to you, but it's certainly no guarantee for basing a continue/discontinue decision on.

Basically, for any treatment, you have to take other people's responses as "it worked this way for them, but that doesn't really mean much for how it will or won't work for me".

Irritating disease. :grumpy:

Thanks for the response, I guess im just looking for some hope that my improvements can continue past 2 months instead of plateauing or fading.

Irritating disease? Seems like a joke that I have the most complex disease with the worst symptoms for quality of life and there's not even a whiff of a cure. Oh and you look normal on the outside so people think its in your head! Extremely irritating, yes.

hapl808

Irritating disease? Seems like a joke that I have the most complex disease with the worst symptoms for quality of life and there's not even a whiff of a cure. Oh and you look normal on the outside so people think its in your head! Extremely irritating, yes.

Yes, mildly frustrating indeed. :)

t's the combination of all those things that make it infuriating - none of the kindness you would get if you had some other ailment, none of the effective treatments, and a certain level of straight up gaslighting. I find it generally easier to just withdraw and hide my illness as much as possible, which is not very possible once I slid more into severe. Oh well.