• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you pronounce SEID ? (Poll)

How do you pronounce SEID ?

• Total voters

SOC

Systemic EID

Not bad.

Pronounced: Systemic I-E-D, or Sytemic Ide ?
:eek: Systemic IEDs? Systemic improvised explosive devices? I admit it feels like that sometimes.... ;)

I was thinking Systemic E. I. D. Bit of a mouthful, but not too bad, especially since I get to emphasize the systemic part.

Hip

I think the name "Systemic EI" also rolls off the tongue nicely, similar to what @SOC mentioned earlier.

As in:

Doctor: "I am afraid I have very bad news: you have a nasty disease called Systemic EI."

Patient: "Oh my God! That sounds terrible."

Doctor: "I am afraid it's worse than terrible; systemic EI is a disease that will ravage every aspect of your life. It hits both mind and body.

Patient: "Oh sweet Jesus!. What does the 'EI' stand for?"

Doctor: "Exertion Intolerance. It means that every time you try to perform any substantial activity, either physically or mentally, you will get a terrible reaction in both body and mind, which we call post-exertional malaise, or PEM for short. PEM is metaphorically like being hit by a freight train.

melamine

Cause its four letters, if one spells it.. people are going to look at you strange and think you are trying to spell the actual name of the illness rather then just the abbrev.

I cant think off my head of any medical disease abbrev in which the abrev letters are spelt out in which are over 3 letters.... they are all 2 or 3 letters.

Agree. It is not just a bad name, but an awkward initialism. Systemic EID, okay, but it's still a bad and misleading name. I have a degree of exercise tolerance. I don't have post-exercise tolerance, especially if it's mental exercise. What is worse, this doesn't begin to express the scope of my symptoms and how they interrelate and progress. It says nothing about susceptibilities. At least ME describes something of the nature of my illness even though "me" is a stupid, naval-gazing sounding acronym.

Hip

What is worse, this doesn't begin to express the scope of my symptoms and how they interrelate and progress. It says nothing about susceptibilities.

Can you give an example of any severe disease whose name does express the scope of its symptoms? No short phrase is going to encompass and explain the myriad complex symptoms of ME/CFS. You cannot do this with the English language.

If you wanted to incorporate all the major symptoms of ME/CFS in the title of this disease, you would have an enormously long name, and a correspondingly unwieldy acronym.

I mean, if you wanted to express the scope of its symptoms, you would have to call it something like: Fatigue, Post-Exertional Malaise, Brain Fog, Sound Sensitivity, Emotional Lability, Orthostatic Intolerance, Allergy, Headache, Muscle Pain, Joint Pain And Unrefreshing Sleep Disease.

Or FPEMBFSSELOIAHMPJPUS disease for short.

But I'll stick with systemic EI.

Last edited:

Hip

I don't believe that is what I said at all.

What did you mean then when you said: "this doesn't begin to express the scope of my symptoms and how they interrelate and progress". I read this to mean that you are complaining SEID does not cover the full scope of your ME/CFS symptoms.

melamine

...that it sounds like a one-note thing of not much consequence. But that is just my opinion, if I may offer one without being mocked.

Hip

...that it sounds like a one-note thing of not much consequence. But that is just my opinion, if I may offer one without being mocked.

I did not mock; I asked for an example of a disease name which incorporates all the "notes" of the disease it represents; and I pointed out it would be impossible to incorporate all the myriad aspects of ME/CFS in a simple phrase.

Even myalgic encephalomyelitis, which I still think is a perfectly good name, only incorporates "muscle pain" and "inflammation of the brain and spinal cord".

taniaaust1

What did you mean then when you said: "this doesn't begin to express the scope of my symptoms and how they interrelate and progress". I read this to mean that you are complaining SEID does not cover the full scope of your ME/CFS symptoms.

Hip. You are unintentionally twisting what she said. When she says that, it doesnt necessarily mean at all she's wanting all the symptoms to be in the name.

She like myself, probably prefers no symptoms at all in the name as by doing that, one is making the illness less then it is.

taniaaust1

I did not mock; I asked for an example of a disease name which incorporates all the "notes" of the disease it represents; and I pointed out it would be impossible to incorporate all the myriad aspects of ME/CFS in a simple phrase.

Even myalgic encephalomyelitis, which I still think is a perfectly good name, only incorporates "muscle pain" and "inflammation of the brain and spinal cord".

Lots of diseases are not named after symptoms, seeing they gave it a new name, I dont think they should of tried to name it after them.

Sean

I am finding myself more and more pronouncing it as 'see-id', my brain seems to naturally default to that.

So I changed my vote to 'see-id'.

oceiv

I'd like to pronounce it Seed because the word seed has the positive connotation of something beautiful that can come out this mess of a disease. It would mean that even if we are dormant now (like dormant seeds), something strong and splendid (like a big oak or maple tree) can grow from each one of our dormant states. Seeds can be and are stored for decades and then when suddenly planted, they come out of their dormancy. This pronunciation both gives me hope and describes my current dormancy. Here's an example of a seed bank. More on seed banks from Wikipedia.

Though, when I look at the word, it reads like it should be pronounced either See-id or Seyd. Of these two possibilities, I find See-id easy to say and Seyd nearly impossible. S.E.I.D. has been tripping me up. 4 letters is too much to spell out. It's awkward to say.

My two top choices are Seed and See-id. Both easy to say, but Seed is the easiest because it's only one syllable.

1. S.E.I.D
  2. Seed
  3. See-id
  4. Say-id
  5. Said
  6. Side
  7. Sed
  8. Seyd

Last edited:

Amaya2014

I've been saying Sid or S.E.I.D. I sound like an idiot trying to say the complete words out so I've just stopped. Ha,ha... You might have the disease once known as CFS if you can't even remember the name. :bang-head::bang-head:

Last edited:

Amaya2014

I think the name "Systemic EI" also rolls off the tongue nicely, similar to what @SOC mentioned earlier.

As in:

Doctor: "I am afraid I have very bad news: you have a nasty disease called Systemic EI."

Patient: "Oh my God! That sounds terrible."

Doctor: "I am afraid it's worse than terrible; systemic EI is a disease that will ravage every aspect of your life. It hits both mind and body.

Patient: "Oh sweet Jesus!. What does the 'EI' stand for?"

Doctor: "Exertion Intolerance. It means that every time you try to perform any substantial activity, either physically or mentally, you will get a terrible reaction in both body and mind, which we call post-exertional malaise, or PEM for short. PEM is metaphorically like being hit by a freight train.
@Hip You just described my CFS "wet dream". If only encounters could be so sweet (minus the you've got a chronic illness part).