• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hormones in the body: where they come from, and where they go to

Pyrrhus

Hormones in the body: where they come from, and where they go to

I found this great diagram courtesy of @halcyon :

1644354608594.png

Pyrrhus

The main pathway for hormone production in the body is sometimes referred to as the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) Axis:

1) Note that the hypothalamus is at the top of the above diagram. Here is a relevant discussion:
What is the role of Hypothalamus Dysfunction in ME?
2) And note that the pituitary gland is right below it. Here is a relevant discussion:
Poll: Do you have a shrunken pituitary gland (partially empty sella) on your brain MRI?
3) Finally, note that below the pituitary gland, on the left half of the diagram, is the adrenal gland. Here is a relevant discussion:
Severe fatigue in patients with adrenal insufficiency

Wishful

They list all those hormones, but T2 gets no respect. It's actually fairly important, but it gets very little research. I expect most doctors still follow the old (pre-1960's) belief that it's non-functional.

"We don't have a checkbox on the test requisition form for it, so let's just pretend that it doesn't exist." :grumpy:

sunshine44

Que sera sera
This is a helpful diagram. Thanks for sharing.
It would really be amazing, if our medical professionals didn’t write us off and thought about this more. I have been to endocrinologists that I’m
Fairly certain do not know about this diagram 🤣😅