Poll: Do you have a partially empty sella on your brain MRI?

Do you have a partially empty sella on your brain MRI?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Bowser

You might already know that idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) could be a major cause of ME/CFS in at least one large segment of the ME/CFS afflicted population.

This paper by Dr. Higgins is one of the major sources of this hypothesis:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28735654/

One of the primary indicators of IIH is a partially empty sella, which I believe is easily identified by most radiologists on a standard brain MRI report. Unfortunately, this isn't treated with any great concern and there is no further investigation in most cases.

Considering the above, I created this poll to discover what percentage of ME/CFS have a partially empty sella on their MRI, which can then be compared to the incidence in the normal population.

Pyrrhus

Great poll!

I know there are a few people here on Phoenix Rising with a completely empty sella (almost no pituitary gland).
I think some of those are on hormone replacement therapy, but I don't recall the details...

Bowser

Despite the limited sample size (9 votes), I am quite surprised by the results so far (2-7 yes-no).

It suggests that if you do have empty sella, perhaps you're part of a unique ME/CFS subset and should look for solutions that relieve IIH.

This is what I'm doing so far. I am investigating TOS (thoracic outlet syndrome) as a cause of my IIH, after ruling out CCI/AAI and venous stenosis with reasonable confidence.

I am going to bump this thread once more so more people can vote.

If you do have empty sella, please reply to this thread and think about if you have any unique and subtle IIH symptoms, like unique headaches, or a feeling of heaviness of the head.