• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Oxalates & B12 Deficiency

Kathevans

So, the past couple of days I’ve been trying to formulate a question. Something’s up, but what?

I’ve been patiently moving through the oxalate dumping for the last three months—daily diarrhea—really—and it seems suddenly to have slowed down. Two days ago I had an incredibly productive day; I even took a walk after dinner, something I haven’t done in a long time. Yesterday I was in the pits of depression, weepy, the works, and last night, despite my exhaustion, I slept two hours, then was wide awake. A half an Ambien did nothing for me. It was 7 a.m. before I finally drifted off for another hour and half. And that was it.

Eventually I crawled out of bed, but two hours later you could bounce me off the walls. I feel giggly. Ridiculous. But physically exhausted and in pain. Of course.

In my sleepless miasma last night, I went over some of the threads here—there’s so much it’s hard not to feel overwhelmed—but I came back to this very one in which @Sherpa said he has had bad experiences with Methylfolate, as I did, myself, last year.

I’ve always loved the Coenzyme B-Complex by Country Life and have taken it for years. But last year as I looked over my supplement list prior to each doctor’s visit, I noticed that between February and June, the Folate (as folic acid) had changed to Folate as Methyl-tetrahydrofolate-glucosamine salt) The same formulation that effected me so strongly when I took 1/10 of a tablet seven times on and off over a two week period (up and down, sleepless, on and on) last spring. (I called the company to confirm that this is exactly when the change occurred.)

A bit foolishly, I didn’t make the connection. Even as my trapezius muscles became hard knots, even as a pain settled in along my neck around Thanksgiving and has stayed on (even as my nose began to drip, etc). Occasionally I thought maybe the symptom had to do with methylation issues, but I wasn’t sure how to resolve that and held my course. Besides, maybe the pain had to do with the oxalates. That was a possibility, right? And just this week I was thinking it must be the ZINC SULFATE drops I’d titrated up to about 15 mgs of zinc per day. Some people don’t do well on zinc ( I’m very familiar with paradoxical reactions), and I’ve since read that sulfate isn’t the best form for absorption. Well, I stopped it but so far my sleep hasn’t improved—if anything I was feeling more of an edge of anxiety than I have for a while (Homozygous ACE!)

Then this week as the oxalate dumping slowed, the sudden good day, followed by a very bad one, then the sleepless night and with the realization that the neck was worse, I put things together. Is it possible it’s something like what @Freddd calls an “Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate Deficiency or Insuffiency” or, a “Methyl Trap”? I’m not homozygous MTHFR, but I am heterozygous—and have plenty of COMT, CBS, MTRR, NOS and PEMT…etc. Enough hobbling and you’re likely to stumble.

Maybe in some way the oxalate issue masked the real issue in some way, maybe the effects of actually absorbing/not managing to absorb the B-vitamins are only now becoming more apparent.

What do you think?

I’m thinking: so much for the NutrEval Test in December, taken when I was on my highest oxalate diet ever! So much for the OAT test I just took this week still taking the B-Multi because my doc said to stay on it so we could see where my body was with the supp. So far at least, it seems I’ll have a very poor idea of what my B-levels actually are.

Oh well.

I’m so grateful to all of you who, like me, have been willing to use your bodies as a chemistry lab. Keep on experimenting!

Kathevans

I think it's in Amy Yasko's explanation of the SNPS--or somewhere else, that I read that homozygous ACE is correlated to high levels of anxiety. There is a tendency toward higher levels of aldosterone, a stress hormone. In any case, I had an almost debilitating anxiety disorder when I was younger, spent years in therapy trying to figure that one out!

alicec

Then this week as the oxalate dumping slowed, the sudden good day, followed by a very bad one, then the sleepless night and with the realization that the neck was worse, I put things together. Is it possible it’s something like what @Freddd calls an “Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate Deficiency or Insuffiency” or, a “Methyl Trap”? I’m not homozygous MTHFR, but I am heterozygous—and have plenty of COMT, CBS, MTRR, NOS and PEMT…etc. Enough hobbling and you’re likely to stumble.

Maybe in some way the oxalate issue masked the real issue in some way, maybe the effects of actually absorbing/not managing to absorb the B-vitamins are only now becoming more apparent.

It does sound like you could have methyl trap - there is not enough methylB12 as a result of your increased intake of methylfolate and the cell responds by dumping folate. You have symptoms of folate deficiency but what you need is methylB12.

As you rightly say, changes in your oxalate balance could be contributing because your functional levels of some B vitamins might be increasing.

As for SNPs, there may well be a contribution, particularly when the system is under strain, but don't just assume that the received wisdom that floats around on the internet is correct; most of it is based on theoretical guesses which get endlessly repeated. For example I have several COMT +/+ and MAO A +/- SNPs. Supposedly this should mean I am sensitive to methyl groups and have plenty of dopamine and other neurotransmitters. Actually the opposite seems to be the case - I have no trouble with methyl groups and seem to be very short of dopamine.

Having said this the whole business of balancing methylation supplements can be fraught, with dysbiosis seemingly at the heart of sensitivity to methylation supplements (and many others things of course). Furthermore, as I have discovered recently, an apparent balance can change. My deliberate attempts to influence gut flora composition with various pre and probiotics have caused quite a crisis in my neurotransmitter balance and I am still trying to work it all out. I am having to find a whole new balance in methylation and other supplements.

As for OAT tests, I think their greatest value is to tell you if something is really wrong, if metabolic pathways are blocked or functional vitamin deficiencies are present. I do the GPL test maybe every 6 months just to see how things are changing.

With best wishes
Alice

Kathevans

Thanks again, Alice.

Your point is well taken. We are each of us a bundle of genetic codes only a few of which are even beginning to be understood and studied. I will, as always, proceed with caution and make no assumptions that my responses will be the same as others’. It’s always been a drop at a time for me.

I read with interest your post above about having low levels of O. formigenes and the need to have some oxalates to stimulate its repopulation. How was this tested? I think the OAT test may at least tell me whether I’m an endogenous producer of oxalates. And as you say, taking it every six months to get an updated picture of where you stand may be a good idea.

Best to you,
Kathleen

alicec

I read with interest your post above about having low levels of O. formigenes and the need to have some oxalates to stimulate its repopulation. How was this tested?

I did the Genova GI Effects Stool Profile. O. formigenes is one of the 24 genera or species tested by PCR. uBiome also tests for Oxalobacter at the genus level.

I had a negative result on the uBiome test but low positive on the Genova. I have just done another uBiome test so will be very interested to see if Oxalobacter registers this time.

Kathevans

@Sherpa For the moment I'm off the Multi B, letting my body get back to go with some of it's fluctuating needs (given the oxalates). I, too, am MAO A +/+ and I'm reminded of our earlier exchange from above, particularly the need for B2, which the NutrEval showed I needed. So once things settle down I'll approach this again.

I've also been following your "Sustained-release Methylation Protocol" with interest and making notes to myself. I'm not sure I'm going to go the way of those bananas, though!

I was thinking this morning about that Snow Leopard (you and Ernest, right?). Did you spot one?

Thanks!

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Bananas are not essential. I stopped eating the green ones because the resistant starch was burning too much fat for my slender frame.

We followed the fresh snow leopard tracks up to 18,000 ft, until the terrain got impossibly difficult to follow. Waist deep snow, thin collapsing ice shelves, 60 degree inclines. Their domain is a place where humans are not supposed go. If you try there is a very significant chance you'll never come back, we humbly realized.

dannybex

From what I have heard, low B6 is often caused by low B2. FMN or FAD (B2 metabolite) is needed to convert B6 into active formats. Restoring B2 can "fix" B6 deficiency in many cases. I have been supplementing with plain old Riboflavin approx 12.5mg doses - 3 times per day and my extra-ordinariry need for B6 has gone down. Now I can recall my dreams with just a low-normal amount of B6 in a multivitamin.

Hi @Sherpa

You're correct that B2 is needed to activate B6 (to convert it to p5p). But I think that means that high b6 can be 'caused' or is a result of low b2, not the other way around, because the inactivated b6 builds up without the b2 to convert it. Does that make sense?

I always used to get neuropathy with even tiny doses of b6, but that diminished when I took much higher doses of b2 w/the b6. Still trying to increase the b6 though so I might try the active form instead.

Last edited:

Kathevans

So, it seems the B2, which I started taking in its sublingual form, is affecting some change in my wild oxalate dumping. Or, to be fair, perhaps it’s the combo of Bs I’m getting in my daily Country Life Coenzyme B-Complex and the extra B2. Since I don’t know to what degree other Bs affect oxalates, here’s the total from both sources:

B-Complex: Currently ¾ Tablet in two divided doses contains:
Thiamine (B1 as from Thiamine Hydrochloride) (Thianine cocarboxylase chloride) 18.75mg
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) (as riboflavin, riboflavin 5’phosphate) 18.75 mg
Niacin (as inositol hexaniacinate) 37.5 mg
Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine HCl, pyridoxal, 5’phosphate, pyridoxine alpha-ketoglutarate HCL) 30 mg
Folate (as Folic Acid,(6S)-5-Methyletrahydrofolate-glucosamine salt) 300 mcg
Vitamin B-12 (as dibencozide, methycobalamin) 187.5 mcg
Biotin (as d-Biotin) 75 mcg
Pantothenic Acid (as pantethine, calcium d-pantothenate) 18.75 mg
PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) 18.75 mg
Phosphatidylcholine (from soy 15 mg
Inositol (from Inositol Hexaniacinate) 13 mg
Alpha-Lipoic Acid 37.5 mcg

Source Naturals Coenzymated B-2 (FMN): Currently ½ Tablet in two divided doses
½ Tablet = 9 mg FMN

This brings my daily total of B2 up to roughly 28 mg. Which I’ll continue to nudge upward. Btw, does anyone take this in the evening? Some Bs keep my mind chugging through the night…

The chronic diarrhea/dumping I’ve had since the end of January no longer occurs daily, and my stools more formed.

I know the results may be a combination of lowering my bodily oxalates (at the end of April, my level was 139 in a range of 6.8-101 on the OAT Test; the Glyceric Level was also high at 9.2 in a scale of .77-7.0, which I understand may suggest a genetic predisposition), as well as those I eat, in combination with the extra B2 which may also be helping me to absorb more folate (it’s a co-factor)(I haven’t yet added the sublingual B12—one thing at a time) and thus lowering that need.

I’m keeping my diet lo-medium oxalate, but hoping that by following @alicec ’s informative post and eating some, I encourage more O. formigenes (though I haven’t had my gut tested for this).

Finally, my new alterna-doc says yeasts can actually cause oxalates, and he wants me to take Nystatin, which I’ve never taken before. Only one of my Yeast and Fungal markers on the OAT Test is high, most of the rest, very low. I do have something yeasty (but not thrush) going on in my mouth—sore, fissured tongue, a lot of burping and tendency toward indigestion. Maybe a course would help me tolerate supps better… Any thoughts?

Gondwanaland

I am starting new supps tomorrow for both oxalates and anemia

1)
Vit B1 Thiamine HCl 20mg
Vit B2 Riboflavin 4mg
Vit B5 Calcium Pantothenate 10mg
Vit B6 P-5-P 20mg
Vit B7 Biotin 300mcg
Choline Bit 30mg
CoQ10 20mg
Se chelated 80mcg
Zn chelated 8mg
Cu chelated 500mcg
Mn chelated 300mcg

2)
L. acidophilus 0.4 Bi
L. casei 0.5 Bi (hoping that its histamines make my bowels move)
L. lactis 0.5 Bi
L. rhamnosus 1 Bi

If all goes well I will increase vitamins and will add a LactoBif mix with all recommended ox-degrading strains.

Last edited:

Kathevans

@Gondwanaland What are "...all recommended ox-degrading strains" of probiotics? I've read via one of @alicec 's links that VSL3 is good as well as some lactobacillus and biffidum strains, but don't know of any others. I'm in the market for a new probiotic as I've read on PR and my doc concurs, that probiotics with FOS can aggravate SIBO, which I was treated for about two years ago with xifaxan (and which could easily have contributed to my vulnerability to oxalates...though who knew...)

alicec

Since I don’t know to what degree other Bs affect oxalates

The prime oxalate-affecting B vitamin is B6. B2 may be helping because it is supporting B6. For endogenous producers which you seem to be based on your OAT result (particularly the elevated glyceric - much more likely than a genetic abnormality) biotin and B1 are also recommended.

see http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...icum-a-game-changer.37324/page-23#post-602199
yeasts can actually cause oxalates, and he wants me to take Nystatin

yes they can see http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...a-probiotic-solution.37927/page-2#post-604155 and various discussions on that thread.

Susan Owens from the low-ox group is very opposed to Nystatin. As she says it is designed to punch holes in fungal cell walls and it does the same thing to ours (we are both eukaryotes). She recommends biotin among other things to get on top of fungal problems which are common in the autistic children she mostly worked with.

Kathevans

@Gondwanaland and @alicec These are great threads--thank-you. I hadn't noticed the new one on oxalates and probiotics. There's a wealth of information in them. I've had a lot of eye issues--blurry vision, dry and scratchy, particularly at night. I find myself using an eye wash solution many times a night. During the day they're fine...

I appreciate the info on Nystatin as well. At this point I'm cautious about just about anything I put in my mouth. I'll try to educate myself further before proceeding!

Kathevans

@Gondwanaland Well then, it probably doesn't make any sense to try to eliminate Biotin! On the other hand, I had heard that xylitol somehow 'fooled' candida, so I've allowed myself to chew Spry gum which is sweetened with xylitol. It's very good!

Oh, and btw, my husband is a little dismayed that I'm reluctant to take the doctor recommended Nystatin. I know there are many natural anti-fungals--I got up to 2 tbsp/day of coconut oil a couple of years ago, but then it caused heart irregularities (obviously one of my weaknesses). Has anyone tried other things that have worked well?