• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxalate Dumping - a Probiotic Solution?

Asklipia

As to oxalate reducing probiotics, one of those is Oxalobacter formigenes.
It seems there is a product by an Indian pharmaceutical company already on the market? This study used it:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25645091

I pursued this a bit.
The product Sidereal mentioned is OCHEK capsules, made in India by LaRenon.
They contain each :
- Bifidobacterium lactis 300 million,
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus 300 million,
- Lactobacillus acidophilus 400 million,
- Oxalobacter formigenes 700 million,
- FOS 100 mg.

There seems to be another product from FOURRTS, another Indian company, with the same content, called OXALOBACT, in capsule and tablet form. Not to be confused with OXABACT, a product of the Swedish OxThera.
This OXALOBACT seems more widely distributed and some studies have been done using it.

And there is also NEFROPIK capsules, same composition, made by Bionic Remedies, also in India.

Last edited:

Sidereal

There seems to be another product from FOURRTS, another Indian company, with the same content, called OXALOBACT, in capsule and tablet form. Not to be confused with OXABACT, a product of the Swedish OxThera.
This OXALOBACT seems more widely distributed and some studies have been done using it.

And there is also NEFROPIK capsules, same composition, made by Bionic Remedies, also in India.

Great info, thanks Asklipia. I would like to get my hands on on some of this stuff.

Crux

Here's a right great paper about oxalates, their metabolism, and oxalate degrading bacteria.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4235702/

It lists about 18 strains that may degrade oxalates. Even L. Acidophilous is included.:cautious:

The paper brings up some good points. One is that oxalic acid can be formed in the liver from other substances, such as proline and glycine. ( could make gelatin problematic for a time)

Another good point is that when these bacteria are administered, there needs to be available oxalate for them to survive. An extremely low oxalate diet may starve them.

I wonder if oxalate degrading bacteria can be found on high oxalate plants, organically grown? (One could soak the plant in water for a time, then drink the water.) Maybe this is far fetched...

Sidereal

I wonder if oxalate degrading bacteria can be found on high oxalate plants, organically grown? (One could soak the plant in water for a time, then drink the water.) Maybe this is far fetched...

I believe this is what @Asklipia did with cabbage leaves?

Crux

I believe this is what @Asklipia did with cabbage leaves?

Did it help at all ?

If not, does cabbage produce much oxalate? Maybe beet greens or spinach would be better. Shops tend to over wash their produce, so it would have to be kind of dirty produce.

Asklipia

I don't know if it helped, I was just doing this hoping to get better, together with taking MK4. And I did get better. I have stopped though, because I could not find the outside cabbage leaves anymore, then forgot.
I notice that Lactobacillus plantarum is also an oxalate degrader. They do not mention in that list Clostridium butyricum but I wouldn't be surprised if it too was an oxalate degrader.

Sidereal

It's a pity none of those products have just Oxalobacter for those who cannot tolerate Lactobacilli. Acidophilus in particular causes hell for me.

Gondwanaland

Here's a right great paper about oxalates, their metabolism, and oxalate degrading bacteria.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4235702/
OxalateDegradingBacteria2013.jpg

Gondwanaland

I can't take any of those without pain. I haven't tried since CB. I am not eager to but I might, just to see what would happen.
Be sure to have eaten some oxalates... Yesterday my husband had pizza for dinner :eek:, and I gave him acidophilus, rhamnosus, reuteri at bedtime. No pain so far. I am curious about his next BM though :cautious: (gluten has usually caused him IBS-D).

Sidereal

Be sure to have eaten some oxalates... Yesterday my husband had pizza for dinner :eek:, and I gave him acidophilus, rhamnosus, reuteri at bedtime. No pain so far. I am curious about his next BM though :cautious: (gluten has usually caused him IBS-D).

I'm not excluding all oxalates, far from. I'm just avoiding the high ox foods.

Gondwanaland