Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Oxalate Dumping - a Probiotic Solution?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Asklipia, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

I am starting this thread for all of us to go on contributing with our experience. Dabbling in calcium redistribution on the one hand can bring huge benefits, but it will also release oxalates and be very painful.
    @adreno, @alicec, @Crux, @Gondwanaland, @JPV, @Sidereal, and others.
    Maybe you care to post here the gist of what you brought to other threads?

leela, helen1, JPV and 2 others like this.
  2. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

As to oxalate reducing probiotics, one of those is Oxalobacter formigenes.
    I pursued this a bit.
    The product Sidereal mentioned is OCHEK capsules, made in India by LaRenon.
    They contain each :
    - Bifidobacterium lactis 300 million,
    - Lactobacillus rhamnosus 300 million,
    - Lactobacillus acidophilus 400 million,
    - Oxalobacter formigenes 700 million,
    - FOS 100 mg.

There seems to be another product from FOURRTS, another Indian company, with the same content, called OXALOBACT, in capsule and tablet form. Not to be confused with OXABACT, a product of the Swedish OxThera.
    This OXALOBACT seems more widely distributed and some studies have been done using it.

And there is also NEFROPIK capsules, same composition, made by Bionic Remedies, also in India.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Gondwanaland likes this.
  3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Great info, thanks Asklipia. I would like to get my hands on on some of this stuff.

4. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

So would I.
    I would not be surprised if blurry vision/cataracts/myopia were correlated to oxalate problems. Maybe a way to improve eyesight?

Gondwanaland likes this.
  5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

My vision definitely gets even more blurry when I am dumping like right now.

6. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I have been wondering about our corneal herpes lately o_O

7. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Here's a right great paper about oxalates, their metabolism, and oxalate degrading bacteria.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4235702/

It lists about 18 strains that may degrade oxalates. Even L. Acidophilous is included.:cautious:

The paper brings up some good points. One is that oxalic acid can be formed in the liver from other substances, such as proline and glycine. ( could make gelatin problematic for a time)

Another good point is that when these bacteria are administered, there needs to be available oxalate for them to survive. An extremely low oxalate diet may starve them.

I wonder if oxalate degrading bacteria can be found on high oxalate plants, organically grown? (One could soak the plant in water for a time, then drink the water.) Maybe this is far fetched...

jepps and Gondwanaland like this.
  8. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I believe this is what @Asklipia did with cabbage leaves?

9. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Did it help at all ?

If not, does cabbage produce much oxalate? Maybe beet greens or spinach would be better. Shops tend to over wash their produce, so it would have to be kind of dirty produce.

10. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

I don't know if it helped, I was just doing this hoping to get better, together with taking MK4. And I did get better. I have stopped though, because I could not find the outside cabbage leaves anymore, then forgot.
    I notice that Lactobacillus plantarum is also an oxalate degrader. They do not mention in that list Clostridium butyricum but I wouldn't be surprised if it too was an oxalate degrader.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  11. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

It's a pity none of those products have just Oxalobacter for those who cannot tolerate Lactobacilli. Acidophilus in particular causes hell for me.

12. Gondwanaland

13. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

14. Gondwanaland

Paralee, zzz, helen1 and 3 others like this.
  15. Gondwanaland

Be sure to have eaten some oxalates... Yesterday my husband had pizza for dinner :eek:, and I gave him acidophilus, rhamnosus, reuteri at bedtime. No pain so far. I am curious about his next BM though :cautious: (gluten has usually caused him IBS-D).

16. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Woodrat feces, yum.

17. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    So. There is a use for Canine feces.:lol::vomit:

leela, dannybex and Gondwanaland like this.
  18. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I'm not excluding all oxalates, far from. I'm just avoiding the high ox foods.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  19. Gondwanaland

Me too, sort of. I am being careful to not make my meals with exclusively hi-ox foods as I have been know to do recently :redface:

20. Gondwanaland

Thank you so much @Asklipia for starting this thread! Now that I identifyied a nemesis, it will be very helpful to have everyone else's inputs and ideas!

Other threads about oxalates at PR:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...oxalate-salicylates-scd-gfcf-diet-info.25135/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/low-oxalate-diet-experience.24100/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/calcium-oxalate.10944/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/high-oxalates-b12-deficiency.36187/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...this-road-to-health-hell-with-oxalates.35408/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/anyone-concerned-about-oxalates.8573/

And other PR members who have been aware of it are @helen1 @Sherpa @Kathevans @August59 @shoponl @globalpilot @determined @juniemarie and other people who apparently aren't active members anymore.

I am particularly concerned about bad advice like calcium and vitamin C supplementation.

leela, helen1 and Asklipia like this.

See more popular forum discussions.