• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose folate, B2 and elevation of ammonia and uric acid (for dummies)

@ahmo has experience with it, but I would say to avoid calcium. When I added calcium to my foot baths, even though it would give an excellent night of sleep, it felt like there was cement in my calves' veins.

OK, thank you. When I've done foot baths in the past, I sometimes get calf cramping as well. Though it can happen when I only use magnesium, or when I add a bunch of other things in as well. Hard to tell what's going on. Perhaps @ahmo will be able to provide some more insight.

ahmo

@Katty I put C, Ca, Bicarb, K+, aminos, sometimes zinc, selenium...anything that's a powder I've put in at the same time. As far as I can tell, it all works fine together. At times I use Mg oil or mg citrate as well, but body prefers mg malate, which I take orally.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@Katty I put C, Ca, Bicarb, K+, aminos, sometimes zinc, selenium...anything that's a powder I've put in at the same time. As far as I can tell, it all works fine together. At times I use Mg oil or mg citrate as well, but body prefers mg malate, which I take orally.

C? Carbon powder?

@ahmo Thanks for your response! I'm surprised that the aminos can be absorbed through the water. This is exciting for me to hear, because they really do a number on my stomach. I'm also surprised that the oral dose works just as well in the bath water without needing to add more. Off to take a foot bath =)

ebethc

I don't make any suggestion in that area since I am a dummy on that :p but transdermal bicarb (plus oral magnesium oxide) reversed all my issues with salicylate intolerance, high acid uric and ammonia build up.

where do you get transdermal bicarb? also, can you get the same results from drinking baking soda dissolved in water?

thanks.

Gondwanaland

where do you get transdermal bicarb? also, can you get the same results from drinking baking soda dissolved in water?

thanks.
Exactly like @ahmo said...

I find it hard to find the dorrect dosage for drinking sodium bicarbonate. I would always get too thirsty even with the tiniest amounts, so I gave up on it.

When I am feeling a tight chest and/or joint pain, I go for a full immersion bath. I always check urine pH before it, and it invariably is 5 in the evening - to me this is a sign that some bicarb is needed!

I am currently taking a full bicarb bath ca. every 2 weeks .

ebethc

Exactly like @ahmo said...

I find it hard to find the dorrect dosage for drinking sodium bicarbonate. I would always get too thirsty even with the tiniest amounts, so I gave up on it.

When I am feeling a tight chest and/or joint pain, I go for a full immersion bath. I always check urine pH before it, and it invariably is 5 in the evening - to me this is a sign that some bicarb is needed!

I am currently taking a full bicarb bath ca. every 2 weeks .

How much bicarb do you put in the bath? a whole box?

Gondwanaland

Uric Acid: Clearing The Confusion About Gout & This Important Antioxidant
By Michael McEvoy, FDN, CNC, CMTA - May 14, 2014
Molybdenum, sulfur, iron and copper are the mineral cofactors in uric acid biosynthesis. :)eek:)
eliminating purine-rich foods doesn't address the real issue. Additionally, dietary sources of purines actually play very little role in purine biosynthesis.
Elevations in uric acid, >5.0 mg/dl are reflective of rising levels of inflammatory activity and have little if anything to do with dietary purines. Uric acid can also rise in response to mycotoxicosis, and may also be elevated with GI inflammation.
75% of heart disease patients will present with elevations in uric acid. However, even if all fructose and purines are eliminated from the diet, uric acid may still remain elevated. As long as systemic inflammation exists, the body will synthesize more uric acid as a needed antioxidant defense.
Additionally, if there are aberrations or expressive genetic mutations in the body's methylation cycles (such as MTHFR, MTRR, SUOX, CBS), this can alter the rate of purine and uric acid biosynthesis. The pathway to purine biosynthesis is induced from 5, 10 methylene tetrahydrofolate. This folate metabolite is directly affected by multiple methylation reactions, involving many enzymes. Considering the high prevalence of methylation cycle dysfunction, one should always give attention to this factor when uric acid is elevated. Methylation dysfunction may be a core component of cardiovascular disease because of methylation's role in homocysteine metabolism, glutathione formation and nitric oxide synthesis.
Both elevations and decreases in uric acid are signals of oxidative stress. One should always give attention to the multitude of factors that influence uric acid synthesis.
Yadda yadda yadda nothing very convincing is presented, but some interesting issues are raised.