• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glucuronolactone (ingredient of energy drinks like Red Bull) boosts my energy, cognitive clarity, uplifts mood, and has anti-grumpiness effects

Florida Guy

This stuff sounds very much like caffeine in its effects. It may have a less acute profile, lasts the whole day. But everything people are saying including the let down next day makes it sound very much like a stimulant. Stimulants make the brain work harder so things seem easier. They naturally give a lift to the mood but then later comes anxiety, irritability, difficulty sleeping and low energy. So the person is tempted to drink another one

This glucu stuff is probably milder than caffeine, people can die of a caffeine overdose but probably less likely to die with this. However in the long run, habitual use of stimulants has a bad effect on brain and body. Taurine is not a stimulant, it is good for you and they likely put it in to make the stimulation seem milder

It seemed that enthusiasm for this has waned a lot since '19. People found out for themselves that there was a price to pay. Feel good today, feel bad tomorrow. Feel good for a few days then feel extra bad for a week. The higher the high, the harder you crash and the longer it takes to recover. Its like spending all your money to have a good time then you suffer from poverty later.

How about d ribose? That has a stimulating effect but should be safer than energy drinks. People have died after drinking a bunch of those drinks. Maybe once in a great while to celebrate good news, but know that you will pay some price later.

Taking your vitamins will give you energy and its energy you don't have to pay back with interest later on. A multivitamin plus maybe a b complex gives a little of many good things

Dysfunkion

So I got to try it, I don't really like it. It lessens the fatigue peaks during the day but makes me feel wired and a bit more flat in a bad way, and my speech takes a hit too. For the first hour or so I got a little more calm focus but that was about it. Physical endurance with it is slightly better. No reason to keep using it, might suit some people but it's just not for me.

I honestly get more out of a shot of wheatgrass in the morning and later after my green tea which does give me a mild clean energy boost and is one of the only things that improves my speech problems. I take it after my green tea in the evening because I noticed green tea makes me a bit more tired while reducing inflammation all the same and it's able to stop that from happening from the green tea while retaining what I get out of it.

Florida Guy

Taking a stimulant is like taking out a loan, not with a bank but with the corner loan shark. The money helps for a short time but then you have to pay it back and its very hard to do. You may be able keep the debt going for longer times by paying interest or taking out a new loan to pay back the old. Eventually you get beat up by the loan shark and he takes your car or something.

Taking a stimulant helps for a short time, everything seems easier, and you feel much better. Then the stim wears off (debt has to be repaid) and you feel much worse than you did before. Or you can take another dose of the stim (roll over the debt) which takes care of those bad feelings and you are on top of the world again. This can go on for some time but eventually you pay one way or another. And you do get beat up just like dealing with the shark. It can bring your level down to a worse state

Even something like B12 could have a stimulating effect if used in unusually large doses for long enough. This particular drug may be milder than caffeine but it can be deadly. I saw a video about a guy who drank something like 6 or 7 energy drinks in one day or one evening. He went into a coma and they took him to the hospital but it was too late and he died.

I'm thinking where is the warning label saying if you drink more than X number of these in a day you may DIE!!! I don't see that anywhere, it should be in large red letters but they probably say some bs in small print about using it responsibly. Like a teenage is going to pay attention to that. But if it says you could die, that might get their attention

Back