• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Full remission after 7 years of ME/CFS - What worked for me

TinaT

Which may not mean the person can stop the intervention later but if the diet is tolerated they can stay that way long term
As someone coming off an extremely restrictive diet, and resulting severe malnutrition, I don't think this would work out very well.

Besides, my understanding of autophagy from following True North Health Center (leading fasting center in the country) publications is that it basically heals, so wouldn't / shouldn't create an ongoing need, as long as the initial phase was long enough to truly heal (this why sometimes people fast longer, depending on their medical condition).

Btw exercise and plant based diets also have autophagy effects, just not as rapidly as water fasting.

lenora

Hi.....Idiopathic chronic fatigue just means that the cause is unknown. In other words, you don't have MS or any other diseases that can be readily identified.

You may or may not like that explanation and it depends on the doctor you'll be seeing. You can also have say, an ear infection with idiopathic chronic fatigue. The ear infection is the important factor to the doctor. Lenora

As someone coming off an extremely restrictive diet, and resulting severe malnutrition, I don't think this would work out very well.

Besides, my understanding of autophagy from following True North Health Center (leading fasting center in the country) publications is that it basically heals, so wouldn't / shouldn't create an ongoing need, as long as the initial phase was long enough to truly heal (this why sometimes people fast longer, depending on their medical condition).

Btw exercise and plant based diets also have autophagy effects, just not as rapidly as water fasting.
There are some studies which suggest omega 3 induces autophagy, and I was having about 17 grams a day on the protocol at times... which was great for inflammation but not so much for my weight. Thus restrictive diets such as the one I did are definitely not a good idea to do long term! I didn't see any relapses in symptoms coming off the diet, though I was on Abilify by that time as well. I'm more inclined to believe the root cause of my case was an altered immune response/state rather than an underlying pathogen as getting an infection seemed to basically factory reset my immune system.

hapl808

Hi.....Idiopathic chronic fatigue just means that the cause is unknown. In other words, you don't have MS or any other diseases that can be readily identified.

Yep, idiopathic is the medical term for a shrug emoji. That said, some of the 'readily identified' diseases are somewhat arbitrary syndromes. AFAICT, the diagnostics for something like MS include somewhat arbitrary guidelines - number of months symptoms are present, number and size of lesions, etc. I don't think it's based on any understanding of the disease or its progression, just an attempt to differentiate it from background noise. I could be wrong, but that's what I've seen. My guess is I may have MS, but because neurologists always look for a tingling or numbness (even though every MS case presents differently), I"ve never had the MRIs looking for those specific lesions. The presentation of MS and ME/CFS and a few other disorders are surprisingly close.

hapl808

Also, the 'treatment' of ME/CFS and MS seems somewhat similar, just that physicians take MS seriously so they attempt to treat the symptoms and they dismiss ME/CFS entirely and just ignore it. But neither one seems to have all that much that can be done beyond treating symptoms as they occur.

NilaJones

I'm so glad to hear this!

Yeah I felt ironically a lot better when I had covid. So I know what you mean about the miracle cold

Unfortunately then I got long covid and severe lung damage, so that didn't work out very well