• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

$$$ for WPI vote daily now in Vivint Round 2!

eric_s

Thanks. At this moment they are still pretty far from what they need to catch up, even though i agree they are a danger. But every day they are below the 3700 or so needed makes that number go up, so with every day that goes by they will need even more than that.

What i think is that at this moment it does not make too much sense anymore to vote for the National ME/FM Action Network. It's nothing against that organisation, i think they are very good, but these votes would now better go to the WPI or the IACFS/ME, i think. 110 votes is not the world, but they could help. So i think it would be a good thing if the National ME/FM Action Network could tell their voters to switch to one of the other charities, if they agree with that.

Dolphin

Thanks. At this moment they are still pretty far from what they need to catch up, even though i agree they are a danger. But every day they are below the 3700 or so needed makes that number go up, so with every day that goes by they will need even more than that.

What i think is that at this moment it does not make too much sense anymore to vote for the National ME/FM Action Network. It's nothing against that organisation, i think they are very good, but these votes would now better go to the WPI or the IACFS/ME, i think. 110 votes is not the world, but they could help. So i think it would be a good thing if the National ME/FM Action Network could tell their voters to switch to one of the other charities, if they agree with that.
There is now a gap of 20915 (=29447 - 8532) between National ME/FM Action Network and the leaders in their region. Assuming that gap doesn't change by the end of today, in the last 17 days of the competition, they would need to get 1230 more than the other group who nearly every day get 400+ and have got around 700 before (and their vote might increase if under pressure). So the National ME/FM Action Network needs 1600-2000 or so votes each day when only once have they got over 200 I think (around 220).

eric_s

I only saw your post now, No Poster Girl. What i'm not convinced about, is that some organisations have not really tried hard until now, because they think they don't need it. In order to win the main prize, Invisible Children and It Gets Better Project would probably have to make around 12'000 votes per day (that's just an estimate, i didn't make the calculation). That's a lot. If you look at CHASE, i don't think Invisible Children were near that number. So, while i agree they are strong contenders, i don't believe this is part of a plan, that they have waited until so close to the end of the contest.

I think it's possible that they decided they'd be annoying their likers by asking them early on to start voting daily. Maybe they want to avoid that more than they want to win. Or maybe they made assumptions about how many votes they could get per day and are now going to try to push hard to get those votes toward the end of the contest. Only time will tell, I suppose.

So, while i agree they are strong contenders, i don't believe this is part of a plan, that they have waited until so close to the end of the contest.

Dolphin

There is now a gap of 20915 (=29447 - 8532) between National ME/FM Action Network and the leaders in their region. Assuming that gap doesn't change by the end of today, in the last 17 days of the competition, they would need to get 1230 more than the other group who nearly every day get 400+ and have got around 700 before (and their vote might increase if under pressure). So the National ME/FM Action Network needs 1600-2000 or so votes each day when only once have they got over 200 I think (around 220).
I'm dropping the National ME/FM Action Network from my signature for the moment (don't know if that makes an ounce of difference but it is 3655 posts).

I've come across the odd person who has some problems with the WPI so I'd be suggesting the IACFS/ME as an alternative place for their vote at the moment. In the event the National ME/FM Action Network gets a surge I may change.

eric_s

I think that's a good idea, Dolphin. Maybe others will follow. Sorry, if that sounds hard, i donated to the National ME/FM Action Network and i hope they will win in another contest, it's just about trying to maximize our chances in this contest.

I think It Gets Better has slowed down a bit, they are still at a high level, but "only" 1300 votes so far, with about 5 hours to go. On the other hand it's afternoon in the USA now, so their best time of day might be exactly those 5 hours, we will see.

Dolphin

It Gets Better Project has been dropping down to 40-50 per hour. :Retro smile:
This is probably because so far they haven't said anything today on Facebook. They have also not tweeted anything calling for votes or thanked people for voting (by Tweet).

However, for what it's worth, I've done the four votes I decide on each day for today* and gave them to the WPI.

Factors in my decision included:

- It looks like It Gets Better Project votes are real - it's unlikely they'll be thrown out of the contest

- I don't know what their potential for voting getting is - seems they could get 3,000+ per day but time will tell.

- Getting into the raffle is worth approx. $1000 or a little less (depends how many qualify); the prize the WPI is going for is $100000, one hundred times more.

- I think the odds are less than 50/50 that the IACFS/ME will get so close to the 5,000 votes that my votes would make the difference - they haven't broken the 100 barrier (in a day) and are down today

- Other factors mentioned before were also considered.

* Another sister tells me she votes every day or nearly every day for the WPI and I have never suggested anything to her about changing.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I'm dropping the National ME/FM Action Network from my signature for the moment (don't know if that makes an ounce of difference but it is 3655 posts).

I have followed suit.

I appreciate the National ME/FM Action Network a lot, but sadly I just don't see that they have any chance at getting a guaranteed win spot in this contest at all.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Whew - It Gets Better dropped to only 1603 today, a definite slow down, hopefully tomorrow will follow the trend. What I hate about these groups popping up for a few days and dying down is that it distracts us from our goals. I am still holding out for IACFS reaching 5000, but will of course change to WPI if this threat continues for awhile.

Stats for Aug 10:

WPI 54597 + 916 = 55513
Be Perfect 14458 + 105 = 14563
Surfer Healing 9098 + 45 = 9143
Hailey mayz 7285 + 65 = 7350
Next Gen 4377 + 12 = 4389
Invisible 5709 + 49 = 5758
Jumpstart 4123 + 20 = 4143
King Bellflower 4731 + 46 = 4777
Sean Vernon 3485 + 31 = 3516
Partner Living 2453 + 11 = 2464
Shared Hope 2884 + 20 = 2904
Austin's House 2946 + 38 = 2984
Trevor 1112 + 7 = 1119
Dream 1260 + 6 = 1266
Courage 1898 + 18 = 1916
Ameriface 1803 + 26 = 1829
Prader Willi CA 563 + 1 = 564
Gets Better 8107 + 1603 = 9710
Tinnitus 384 + 4 = 388

IACFS/ME 556 + 67 = 623

Light & Love 29130 + 399 = 29529
St John Hospital 11462 + 124 = 11586
ME/FM Action 8430 + 130 = 8560
Prader-Willi 7313 + 98 = 7411
Nightingale 373 + 4 = 377

Attachments

• vivint 08-10-11 1378 hrs.pdf
    85 KB · Views: 16

Nielk

How is it possible for the IACFS/ME to get to 5,000 when they get 63 votes a day.
It feels like it's a hopeless situation.

helen41

How is it possible for the IACFS/ME to get to 5,000 when they get 63 votes a day.

my personal hope is that if we carry on, in the last few days maybe the remainder of the community will throw their votes behind them as well if the WPI remains as dominant as they currently are

jace

Off the fence
Hi Folks, here's a graph to show what It Gets Better can and has done - it covers the last two weeks. You will notice a previous, smaller spike (600 votes) about ten days ago. A few days earlier, they acheived a spike of 300 votes. Now, the thing that worries me is the progressive increase in spike size. They seem to be able to increase the numbers of votes in a spike by more than double.

Screenshot2011-08-11at094703.png

It is indeed too early to count our chickens - with just less than 17 days to go, please keep voting WPI and find any new voters that we can. In the last few days, it would indeed be nice to get the IACFS/ME into the draw for the additional prize, but not yet, not yet.

Battery Muncher

I've only voted in this for two or three days. But I agree with Dolphin etc that the WPI is the best bet.

The spike of votes for It Gets Better is very worrying. It's also a much more popular cause (at least in the UK).

So I think it is best if we minimise our losses, rather than maximise our gains. In this light, voting WPI seems to be the best option. It has a much broader appeal, being a centre of research for all neuro-immune diseases.

Of course, the other votes have not been in vain. They have brought us attention and the like. But for a proper attempt, we need to be more prepared.

Incidentally have we set about creating different ways of rallying and controlling the votes of ME/CFS sufferers from all over? There were some earlier ideas for a Facebook page that were interesting. How large is our presence on Twitter? Have the ideas been followed up?

I am very worried about this contest. 'It Gets Better project' is a total wildcard, and we have NO idea of what they are capable of.

They could come out of nowhere and get many votes on the last day to win it. So please keep voting for WPI.

helen41

If WPI doesn't get another vote until the end of the contest, It Gets Better would still have to get 2762 votes every day until the end to tie us. If voting continues at it's current rate, they would need 3750 a day to tie. The most they have generated is 1603.
I am not suggesting that nobody vote for WPI, of course, but I don't think we need to change our approach at this time. A spike in votes is not as worrisome as if they maintained an increase that would allow them to catch up. They would have a long way to go.

frenchtulip

Incidentally have we set about creating different ways of rallying and controlling the votes of ME/CFS sufferers from all over? There were some earlier ideas for a Facebook page that were interesting. How large is our presence on Twitter? Have the ideas been followed up?

Battery Muncher, I don't know which ideas you may have been referring to. I once suggested a Facebook page that lists contests, fund-raising opportunities, and possibly important announcements for ME/CFS/CFIDS organizations around the world. The problem I see is that if it is on Fb, all other charities (our opponents) could easily find our contest info and benefit from it, too. If the page were titled something like "ME CFS CFIDS International," it might be harder for those outside the ME CFS community to find. We could post links to it on major ME/CFS pages on Fb.

eric_s

If the people who are voting for the National ME/FM Action Network switched over, they would already be at around 200. That would not be enough, but then it would only require 5 or 6 days of support from them regular WPI voters to get them across the line. I don't know if we will be able to make it, technically it should certainly be possible. But we can at least try.

Back