• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

First time in remission with ketogenic diet

sb4

Any of you guys had any luck making keto deserts? I need a way to increase fat with out much protein and carbs, and without it being gag inducing. I like chocolate so I have previously tried 99% chocolate but I can't stand it, tastes bad and leaves a brutal aftertaste. I think there is a mineral or something in there that my body doesn't want in excess.

I tried yesterday to make some low carb chocolate but my chef skills are abysmal. I melted about 7tbsp cocoa butter, added 1 tbsp cocoa powder, and 1 tbsp stevia. Mixed it together and set it to dry in the fridge. It was horrific, had the gag factor of eating pure fat with the horrible taste of strong dark chocolate + aftertaste.

I then remelted, added egg yolk powder (a few scoops) and some milk. Refrigerated and tried again. Only slightly less horrific.

What am I doing wrong here? Why does such a small amount of cocao powder taste so strong yet I'm able to eat milk chocolate fine and enjoy it?

lafarfelue

@sb4 your dislike of cocoa powder is understandable! cocoa powder is really bitter (and quite acidic) and difficult to make tasty unless you already kinda like the flavour! Milk chocolate is made with looooads of sugar and processed quite differently from cocoa powder.

If you can get your hands on Dutch-processed cocoa with no added sugars, it has a more mellowed flavour and dissolves much more easily than basic cocoa powder. Less likely to upset stomaches too.

Have you tried any recipes from keto blogs etc on the internet? Like: https://thrivestrive.com/keto-desserts/ ?

sb4

@sb4 your dislike of cocoa powder is understandable! cocoa powder is really bitter (and quite acidic) and difficult to make tasty unless you already kinda like the flavour! Milk chocolate is made with looooads of sugar and processed quite differently from cocoa powder.

If you can get your hands on Dutch-processed cocoa with no added sugars, it has a more mellowed flavour and dissolves much more easily than basic cocoa powder. Less likely to upset stomaches too.

Have you tried any recipes from keto blogs etc on the internet? Like: https://thrivestrive.com/keto-desserts/ ?
@lafarfelue Thanks for the info, I will order some dutch-processed and maybe supplies for the other recipes you have linked.

I decided to add more stevia to the abomination and some potasium bicarbonate to increase PH. It still taste bad but now it tastes weird as well.

I will mess around with dutch cocoa and a few more recipes but may well have to abandon chocolate and use another keto desert as a crutch.

pamojja

Any of you guys had any luck making keto deserts? I need a way to increase fat with out much protein and carbs, and without it being gag inducing. I like chocolate so I have previously tried 99% chocolate but I can't stand it, tastes bad and leaves a brutal aftertaste. I think there is a mineral or something in there that my body doesn't want in excess.

Might be copper? Which is high in cocoa. Duched or alkalized cocoa takes away some of the bitterness, but also the goodness of its polyphenols.

I get a real fat bomb with my breakfast muesli. Usually a small handful of blueberries, mainly macadamias, coconut and hazelnut, but also pecan, walnut, 1 brazil nut and pumpkin seeds - all crashed. Flaxseed, blackseed and sesame milled in a coffee-grinder. Half a curd, spiced with cocoa powder, cinnamon and stevia extract. Added hot water and whatever is your fancy. And have it with 2 soft-boiled eggs. Satiates till Dinner.

MEPatient345

I eat quite a lot of 85% dark chocolate (green and blacks) with salted pecans as my snacks. No preparation necessary and hasn’t kicked me out of ketosis so far. I also made a concoction of coconut cream with a few squares of 70% dark chocolate, whizzed up walnuts, peanut butter and coconut oil. I eat a teaspoon of it heated in microwave and it’s yummy too.

sb4

Thanks for the replies, I intend to experiment with something until I get it right.

Yes could be the copper but also iron is high I think.

If it is not due to metal imbalances it could be I just need to adapt my taste. I just seen a study where it took 10-14 days to get kids who didn't like veg to like it by eating a small amount each day. I intend to do this with dark chocolate and hope it becomes more tolerable. We shall see.

bertiedog

I either have Alpro plain soya yoghurt (2.gm per 100 gm) plus 1 teaspoon psyllium husks and also either one teaspoon ground flaxseed or one teaspoon chia seeds plus a few blueberries from the garden or a small amount of raspberries from the garden or both. Sometimes I add a few redcurrants or blackcurrants instead and these make it so tasty.

I try and make it an hour or so before I want to eat it so it ends up like a no sugar trifle. On top of this I add a heaped teaspoon of creme fraiche. Delicious!

Also I make my own whole milk organic yoghurt using 1 dessertspoon Activia vanilla yoghurt as a starter. This contains one of the bifidp bacteria which we are so often short off. Most yoghurts contain lactobacillus acidophilus which can be an issue because these are lactic acid bacteria. I use 500 ml with the large dessertspoon of Active and leave in my yoghurt maker for at least 10 hours before cooling it down and putting it into a glass covered jar in the fridge.

If you were hungry at the end of the meal you could also add some sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

Pam

bertiedog

hanks for the tips. I am wary of using seeds due to the poly unsaturated fat content. Are there any you know of that are low PUFA?

Just looked up one table and it says that sesame are the lowest and after that comes sunflower seeds. Personally I don't worry too much about this as long as I buy organic ones from a good source. If they were going rancid I think you would be able to taste this which would be the biggest worry I would think.

I don't think psyllium husks contain any PUFA ( might be wrong about this).

Pam

Gondwanaland

https://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(18)30520-8
CELL | VOLUME 173, ISSUE 7, P1728-1741.E13, JUNE 14, 2018

The Gut Microbiota Mediates the Anti-Seizure Effects of the Ketogenic Diet

Highlights
  • Changes in the gut microbiota are required for the anti-seizure effects of the KD
  • Specific KD-associated bacteria mediate and confer the anti-seizure effects of the KD
  • KD microbiota regulate amino acid γ-glutamylation and hippocampal GABA/glutamate

pamojja

I am wary of using seeds due to the poly unsaturated fat content. Are there any you know of that are low PUFA?

Seeds are used at a tablespoon at a time, therefore not really that much. But always worthwhile to grind them fresh. A bigger worry is with many nuts high in PUFA. That's why I mainly use Macadamia and Hazelnuts which have a higher content of monounsaturated fats.

MEPatient345

Hi all, I am 3 weeks in.. still weaker, worse neurological symptoms. However, sleep seems improved and may be too early to tell but I think less headaches.

Was reading this study in relation to the gender differences in metabolism of glucose and fat. I am quite cognitively impaired, so I can’t read it in great detail but pulled out a few relevant quotes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5161229/

On pg 11: “there were also indications of reduced mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation only in female ME/CFS patients (32). Adding to PDH inhibition, reduced mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation would expectedly compromise the supply of acetyl-CoA further and thereby increase the dependency of category II amino acids for alternative fueling of the TCA cycle, as shown in our study.”

On page 13: “...all categories of ME/CFS women, including obese women, had lower mean levels of the ketogenic amino acids than healthy control women...”

I’m not so good w science stuff, but wondering if this diet just might not work for many female patients. I suppose it is possible tho that the diet could reverse some of these findings, and cause more amino acids to be created. Thoughts?

Also, I just had some tests done and have low Lactate dehydrogenase (LDH). Which is an enzyme used to convert glucose to energy. So maybe I am just screwed either way, glucose or fat!

Still sticking with it..

MEPatient345

I just quit keto.. feel too bad on it to continue. Also having a bad problem with eye dryness at night which started when I started keto. My eyelids are like sandpaper and drops don’t help, even waking up to put them in. Saw some reddit threads about people w same issue.

I might try again at a later point if I feel stronger.

Gondwanaland

I just quit keto.. feel too bad on it to continue. Also having a bad problem with eye dryness at night which started when I started keto. My eyelids are like sandpaper and drops don’t help, even waking up to put them in. Saw some reddit threads about people w same issue.

I might try again at a later point if I feel stronger.
Were you eating eggs? Vitamin A is supposed to help with that...