• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

First time in remission with ketogenic diet

To @ryan31337 and @ChrisD (and a few others I have to find their posts) - thank you for your stories and information on this diet. When I was very desperate and losing everything these last few weeks your information and results gave me the hope and chance to get control of the ME and my life again. You've both played a part in saving me from moderate/housebound severity and losing my career. We've all been living through hell, and it's us staying together and helping each other that gets us through this.
This post is rather old, but I wondered whether you are still keto and if the improvements continued? Thanks a lot.

Frunobulax

So far keto is pretty much the only thing that helps me consistently. Perhaps bumps me up from 20 on the bell scale to 30-40. Whenever I start eating carbs for more than 2-3 days my energy level plummets.

But it's not "just" keto, I also avoid lectins and oxalate. Doesn't leave a lot of variation in my food, but that's acceptable.

L'engle

moogle
I can't really do keto safely, at least for the time being, but I am trying to replace some carbs with fat and move to carbs that digest more slowly.

I'm changing my breakfast from quick oats to rolled oats, which seem to keep me from being hungry longer.
Also adding beet root powder and mct oil to my morning cocoa, which is just goat's milk and organic cocoa powder with no other sweetener.
Cucumbers with feta cheese instead of another serving of carbs later.

I tended to think I had a good diet because it is better than most peoples', but that isn't really saying much. I avoid added sugar but craving unrefined carbs pretty much amounts to the same thing.

I end up eating bananas when I need potassium. That adds up as well for sugar, though I don't eat them when they're overripe and the glycemic index is highest. I find overly sweet foods and drinks sickening anyway and don't like most other fruits except berries and the odd apple if it's very good.