• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

First Draft/First Round of Legislation

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
I think you're really onto something. I know very, very little about law, but wouldn't a resolution be a lot easier to make happen than a law?...Hmm...And perhaps if it were framed more in support of our UK friends, an objection to how they are being treated, a human rights issue?

flybro

This is too weird

Hon Rep Reevy Wessley

Reeve Wessley

No way, Wessley is the UK's equiv of Reeves.

Reeves and Wessley have the same shared brain.

Anyone else find that really really really ODD?

Hon Rep Reevy Wessley

Too too weird.

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Thanks a lot, Levi :mad:

In my totally brain-fogged state I didn't even notice the "representative"'s name and therefore took your resolution to be real and got all worked up, even wrote a post on that basis...:eek:

...But as you say we should strive to make it a reality; unfortunately I'm no legal eagle, but if those of you who are knowledgeable can hammer something out I'm sure we'll all support it....Once ready, I think it should be brought to Kim McCleary/ the CAA and separately promoted as well.
Networking with other groups who have suffered the label is an excellent idea (and perhaps necessary), too.

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Fresh eyes -

I had forgotten where Reid was from...but I didn't know he was a supporter of the WPI - in what way?

Anyway, he's already been involved in calling the CDC to the carpet for the CFS fund scandal in '99..

This sounds like yet another good idea, f.e.!

Advocate

Just chiming in to say I've captured the suggested resolution and will pass on to the Association. The Association is working with B&D Consulting on public policy efforts. http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2009/070109.asp

Hi jspotila,

Thank you for the link to the web page on B&D Consulting. I couldn't find a date on the page. Please pass along to your webmaster that a date on every article on the website would be helpful. These days, when we can check news sites frequently throughout the day, we have been accustomed to knowing when something was first reported and when it was updated.

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
Advocate, I was going to say the same thing. Also I think that's a good example of a place where it would be great to have more transparency and involvement:

"Several firms submitted detailed proposals to address our policy-oriented objectives."

So wouldn't it be great to know what their proposal is exactly? And what's the time frame? How often does the CAA talk with them? Stuff like that.

Thanks again for listening, j.

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
Folks on this forum, this is a second request for your input in the form of drafting a "Whereas" or two that I can stick into the resolution. I need your help.

I imagine we're all just intimidated by the great job you've done so far. I think we could use some Whereas-es defining Unexplained Illness, like stating that an unexplained illness is simply an illness the physical signs of which are not detectable with current technology, and that throughout history Unexplained Illnesses have later been explained and legitimized, but only after untold suffering by those afflicted. What do you think?

Marylib

'Where-as", Reid, WPI

If I read correctly, the CAA is taking on working with us on the resolution? Sorry, I am not too smart today. If so, that would be wonderful -- if we hear back from them about details. Yes, fresh-eyes, transparency and a spirit of collaboration would be great.

Yes, Andrea posted that Sen. Reid is a supporter. To contact WPI about all this, I would suggest looking on their website contacts page -- there are people listed who work with media, etc. I just can't remember the details now, but they were there last time I checked.

Levi, sorry my brain is not currently up to "whereas". I am so grateful to you for sharing yours!

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
whereas

Folks on this forum, this is a second request for your input in the form of drafting a "Whereas" or two that I can stick into the resolution. I need your help. It only has to be a paragraph or two. Check here for a sample of what a "Whereas" statement looks like:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:hj10ih.txt

I'm so glad, happy, encouraged, amazed, inspired and hopeful that you're doing this Levi, and that there are a few others who can join you. I'm sorry, though, that it won't be me. One "whereas" and my eyes begin to cross. Two "whereas"s and you don't want to know . . .

Whereas other kinds of thoughts and postings don't have the same effect on me.

Just wondering: Why is the Honorable Representative Reevy Wessley from Texas?

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Rep. Reevy Wessley from Texas

Ha Ha. That is because I did not bother to edit Texas out of the Genital Mutilation Resolution I used as a template.

It was the Texas part that almost made me think that the Honorable Representative Reevy Wessley might be a real person. But that name . . . I had to think hard, though. :D