• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Famous (and sort of famous) ME/CFS sufferers

Tom Kindlon

HEART BROKEN
Jack Emmett’s dream of playing for home-town club Harrogate in the EFL is over as he is forced to retire aged of 27

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/6459093/jack-emmett-efl-harrogate-chronic-fatigue/

“I reached a point when I’d get through training and tended not to feel too bad but then would get home, crash, feel exhausted and struggle to get out of bed.
“It was hard to concentrate on anything. I had brain fog.
“I was just dragging myself through training and hoping it would get better.
He mentions "chronic fatigue": he presumably has either a mild form of chronic fatigue syndrome or overtraining syndrome. He is not really that famous, but was a professional football player.

Dolphin

I saw a message somewhere were someone wondered whether the writer Kafka might have had ME.
I happened to come across the following on Tumblr today.
Kafka.PNG

Dolphin

WantedAlive

Is 7-time Word Champion Sir Lewis Hamilton battling Long-Covid? Seeing him struggling to stand on the podium today at the conclusion of the Hungarian Grand Prix I could see something wasn't right, this seemed like more than dehydration. He has today declared he has been struggling with lingering effects since contracting Covid seven months ago in December 2020. It could only be mild Long-Covid for him to continue to compete at this level, but still, watch this space...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-has-long-covid-after-hungarian-gp-exhaustion

SNT Gatchaman

Nao, singer/songwriter (soul, funk, R&B).

Sympathetic and well-informed interview in The Independent.

The first symptoms of burnout emerged during the release of Saturn, she says, a tumultuous time both for her career and personal life. “I’d been dealing with insomnia and going and going for such a long time, and one day I was getting up to go for a run and I just couldn’t move my legs. And quite quickly, my body began to deteriorate.” She told herself to push through the rest of her tour, but by the end of it, she felt even worse. The way she describes her symptoms makes me think of a family member who has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – I tell her this, and she pauses again. “I actually have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was saying burnout because… I’m not sure. This is the first time I’ve really spoken about it to anyone who’s not my friends or my family. I find it really difficult to explain because I don’t think a lot of people understand what it is.”

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, also called myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), is an incredibly complex condition that is still not fully understood by the medical community. Diagnosis often requires months of tests and frustrating dead ends, and there are no approved medications or therapies to help treat it. “You go to the doctor and they do their best to find out what’s wrong with you, but all your tests come back and say you’re fine, so you go away feeling like you’re crazy,” Nao says. She hopes that a silver lining of the coronavirus pandemic will be a better understanding of CFS, given how similar the symptoms are to those of long Covid. “Hopefully there’ll be some more answers soon.”

dannybex

really? I thought he discribed her as being supportive....but i don't know.
A google search will turn up interviews she did when promoting her book.

Here's just one of many links:

'Andrews wrote about "very stressful times" with Edwards' hypochondria and trying to pull him through volatile moods and sometimes suicidal anxiety.

"It was one of those monsters that got hold of him so strongly that he couldn't resist," Andrews said of his eventual self-medicating with Demerol and oxycodone."

She never once has mentioned ME/CFS, or even CFS.

maple

Not to be cynical but if doctors don’t believe in ME/CFS and we have nonsense like the PACE trials why wouldn’t a mortal like Julie Andrews have doubts.

dannybex

Not to be cynical but if doctors don’t believe in ME/CFS and we have nonsense like the PACE trials why wouldn’t a mortal like Julie Andrews have doubts.
Uh...because she was married to him for 51 years?

Edit: He died in 2010, so she was married to him for 41 years.

Last edited:

Mouse girl

Uh...because she was married to him for 51 years?

yeah, i have to agree with you. and we do have lots of docs here who get ME/CFS and we don't have PACE, so she wouldn't have heard of that. i still don't know what it is and i've heard about it for years. she should have talked about his me/cfs as being such a hard illness.

makes me want to go back and watch, "I remember me" that has interviews with him talking about having CFS. I thought she was in it too but i think i am mixing memories of other interviews i've seen with her. I wonder what their kids think of her bagging on there dad. I think during the oscars they even mentioned his illness when he appeared briefly in a auto wheelchair but still had his sence of humor and fun and did this site gag on stage. i wonder if his depression was really caused by his illness. i know you can have both though just like with any other disease

Last edited:

dannybex

@Mouse girl , it's my recollection that it was not talked about at the Oscars, which would've been a golden opportunity.

I know I sound blunt or too angry w/Andrews, but again -- she was married to him for 41 years, and about 35 of those years he was sick. She's had hundreds of opportunities to talk about it, but she didn't. Like all or most celebrities, it's always about HER. Her vocal cords, her this, her that.

And my god, common sense would suggest that he wasn't in a wheelchair because he was depressed. How she could attribute that to hypochondria is beyond comprehension.

As far as I'm concerned, she should be ashamed of herself.

Last edited:

EtherSpin

I'm not exactly a fan, but Piers Morgan is now talking about his significant fatigue three weeks post COVID.

Long Covid Support Twitter post
he is a mixed bag at bare minimum huh!
there are select cases and subjects where he doesn't jump on a bandwagon and for that reason I admire at least one thing about him - he would probably argue till the cows come home on a million subjects with me BUT he is so dogged, if he came around to Long COVID being analogous if not *a type* of ME/CFS it would be a good counter in right wing circles where its framed as a farce or attempt to defraud the government of disability money - I hear he is headed to a Murdoch network and it would be a welcome change if someone took it seriously cause some of the most triggering scorn I've ever seen was on those channels and in America from the Barstool Sports guys

Mouse girl

I don't think 3 weeks of fatigue is long covid, is it? I think it's more like 6 months. In my opinion, Mr Morgan is such a douche that he would only make people think it isn't real.