• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone crash after eating?

Aspen

They are a strong antianxiety treatment. I was the person who discovered this. Do not use more than 2 drops stirred in 6 oz water and sipped as that is a strong dose. Lavender is proven by research to work, is very economical, is nonaddicting and safe.
@gbells I got my oils in the mail yesterday and immediately tried the lavender water. Within a few minutes I had a lovely feeling of relaxation, it was fabulous. :redface: It lasted only about 30 minutes but worth it. I accidentally put in twice the drops when I tried it again in the evening and got a slight headache along with the relaxation, not bad but too strong a dose so I’ll be more careful next time. I still got the anxous/sick feeling after eating 30 mins later, but it seemed to be a weaker response. And the sense of relief just after drinking the lavender water was a nice break from the tension anyways, still worth it even if it doesn’t fully eliminate the eating stress. Thanks again for the tip!

judyinthesky

@Wolfcub "It could be related to something going on in the Vagus nerve. I have definitely found belly breathing and mindful diaphragmatoc breathing (for about 15 minutes BEFORE eating) helps. " - I also find that fasting generally helps me before my first meal... do very little breakfast now and eat most of my food in the evening. first one definitely the worst. - so it could also be because of waiting with food not so much the honey? not denying your experience obviously, but I often wonder..

@dimenter I have also done the antibodies test and am just on the verge with some... but then I have BMS which for some is a neuropathy too.

judyinthesky

I am now on Ketotifen and have found this making my vagus nervous symtoms easier. I don't know why, my biggest guess is that it is via a holistic mechanism - saving energy on one front, maybe indirectly effecting the other, or because it is slowing my gut which is too fast usually... or because it gives me 0.5 hours more sleep...

@Wolfcub "It could be related to something going on in the Vagus nerve. I have definitely found belly breathing and mindful diaphragmatoc breathing (for about 15 minutes BEFORE eating) helps. " - I also find that fasting generally helps me before my first meal... do very little breakfast now and eat most of my food in the evening. first one definitely the worst. - so it could also be because of waiting with food not so much the honey? not denying your experience obviously, but I often wonder..

@dimenter I have also done the antibodies test and am just on the verge with some... but then I have BMS which for some is a neuropathy too.

hi, on saturday i consulted a neurologist who is in the picture with dysautonomia / ME / CFS. He made it clear that he thinks small fibers are the biggest problem in my case. In addition, I have pain in places (hands, feet, back, shoulders) that point very much in the direction of neuropathy, so the CellTrend test provided real results. His therapy would be a minimum of 6 months of IVIG and mast cell blockers. The insurer will probably allow ..... of course not.

Aspen

I’ve randomly found that eating frozen blueberries helps me feel a bit better post-meal. Reading all the posts makes me think maybe it acts to calm the vagus nerve? I’m going to try a cold pack on the belly after lunch tomorrow and see if it helps.

livinglighter

Chromium Picolinate 1000 mcg is now helping me, no more crashes and sustained energy through the day.

One of Chromium’s main functions in the body is to help support the metabolism of fat, protein, and sugar as well as helping to promote a healthy insulin response.

Prior to taking it I tracked my symptoms and found I was also crashing after every meal, and of course waking up brain fogged. I had very little brain fog this morning. Some people with ME also have metabolic problems that contribute towards energy deficit.

livinglighter

If I wake up- have black coffee only, I can feel almost normal until I get hungry enough to eat.

No matter what I eat- 45 mins later or so I come down with brain fog, lethargy, that distinct feeling you’ve been poisoned.

infant, fasting with moderate exercise can actually fix me for a few days.

soon as I eat- I re-enter the state where time does not exist anymore and before I know it it’s 12am and I’ve no recollection of what I’ve even been doing or thinking about.

it really feeling like a signaling problem or something.

sounds like reactive hypoglycaemia or postprandial syndrome to me. I’m using Chromium piccolante 1000 mcg.

livinglighter

@livinglighter what is postprandial syndrome?
Your medication sounds interesting will check out
@Aspen keep us updated :) did the ice pack do anything? :)

It’s when your blood sugar levels drop significantly after a meal but not below the hypoglycaemic levels. More pronounced after large meals and after consuming carbs. So it will be that annoying thing where you go for blood sugar readings and yet again they don’t find any problems.

https://www.healthline.com/health/idiopathic-postprandial-syndrome

The three main systems of the body that are implicated by ME are the immune, neurological and endocrine system. With metabolic issues also caused by the latter. But the neurological problems can cause something called hypo unawareness as you don’t get the shakes or become unconscious.

Last year I had a severe relapse and I had blurred vision, tingling lips, some more scary symptoms I’ve never had before but all signs of a hypo attack.

I’ve been eating carbs and sugar for years now as a way to ‘increase’ my energy levels (poor results but defo feel a difference albeit short lived). This is way more pronounced when I ‘crash’.

The metabolic issues also cause some of us unexplained weight gain/loss. When I reported my rapid weight gain and carb/sugar cravings to the fatigue clinic I attend, I was simply told to eat smaller meals more frequently which is the advice for hypoglycaemia and postprandial syndrome. No full explanation was given as to why it would help. But after some research and my positive response to chromium I think I may have hypo/pre diabetes, etc.

Last edited:

IThinkImTurningJapanese

If I wake up- have black coffee only, I can feel almost normal until I get hungry enough to eat.

No matter what I eat- 45 mins later or so I come down with brain fog, lethargy, that distinct feeling you’ve been poisoned.

infant, fasting with moderate exercise can actually fix me for a few days.

soon as I eat- I re-enter the state where time does not exist anymore and before I know it it’s 12am and I’ve no recollection of what I’ve even been doing or thinking about.

it really feeling like a signaling problem or something.

I’ve done two years of either intermittent keto or fasting until evening. At first I experienced the same crashing with carb consumption, now I’m fine.

livinglighter

Could be worth monitoring what happens after meals, carbs, sugars, while fasting and Trying keto and chromium picolinate to see what happens. I’ve also used chromium to ween me onto keto otherwise my carb/sugar cravings are too bad during the transition period. I ended up on the carbs again as I would feel extremely tired after a while.

My next step about this is to see an endo with interest in fatiguing illnesses who was recommended on here and diagnosed the person with reactive hypoglycaemia and put them on a keto diet.

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
This may not help anyone at all, but once I eliminated simple carbs, the year's long "poisoned" feeling and exhaustion after meals diminished significantly. Removing all simple sugars seemed to have resolved my severe IBS almost instantaneously, as well. Also, potato was a surprise offender.

Daily probiotics seem to keep my gut under control now, but I do suspect an ongoing systemic fungal infection of some sort (I do have chronic EBV).. if I skip my probiotics for a couple of days, I immediately develop nail and scalp psoriasis, and eventually the digestive distress returns.

livinglighter

@livinglighter would one not be able to measure this with a blood sugar test immediately afterwards?

From what I’ve read, if you get reactive hypoglycaemia then yes it will show up. But if you get postprandial then perhaps it does show up but it won’t be low enough to be considered hypoglycaemia. In most cases people get diagnosed with reactive hypo even if it’s postprandial so a lot of info on this doesn’t distinguish between the two. See what info is out there and if it relates to you all.

judyinthesky

@livinglighter thank you so much.
I've looked it up and some fits some not.
Question ist how long after meal or how early it could be.
There is a version described as adrenergic postprandial syndrome.
Could such things be better by anticholinergic treatment? As I am helped by Ketotifen, but it could of course be via the reason(s) that my pancreas is off in the first place :)
Hm, this is very interesting as I have severe pancreas insufficiency and some of my disease colleagues have hypos. My gastro who is very good didn't mention it though... and also I see lots of criticism regarding potential pseudo- postprandial symptoms, hinting at the idea that it is too often self-diagnosed (well gotta self diagnose at some point right :))
Also, any idea on whether this would be better in the evening?

Thanks a lot for the input, I'd be very interested in reading anything useful on this. Pm anytime.

Last edited:

livinglighter

I've looked it up and some fits some not.
Question ist how long after meal or how early it could be.

It doesn’t take me hours to feel extremely tired after a meal either. So I don’t sound the perfect fit in that sense, but I do get the symptoms.

There is a version described as adrenergic postprandial syndrome.

Yes, this is of greater interest. I plan on reading more about this definition. My understanding of ME from a research/clinical immunologist is that we are stuck in fight or flight due to ANS dsyregulation/failure. Constant upregulation of the SNS causes HPA axis dsyregulation (largely incorrectly referred to as adrenal fatigue) which involves problems with cortisol and adrenaline secretion/production. HPA-D causes inability to correctly produce hormones for homeostasis of organs such as the brain or gut.

My gastro who is very good didn't mention it though... and also I see lots of criticism regarding potential pseudo- postprandial symptoms, hinting at the idea that it is too often self-diagnosed (well gotta self diagnose at some point right :))

If it is the HPA axis causing hormonal metobolic issues it would mainly fall under an endocrinologist. My Neurologist who initially waved my CFS diagnosis as being something all in my head, is now suspecting that I have Autonomic Dsyfunction as it common in those smaller amounts of patients diagnosed with CFS who have neurological issues. After some time spent reviewing me he mentioned the problem with ME/CFS is due to the diagnostic criteria resulting in three subsets of patients. Those with neurological issues, those who are deconditioned (hence graded exercise therapy) and those with whatever reasons (think he meant possible psychological issues). The issue is we often present as atypical patients to neurologists or immediate bias is formed due to the CFS diagnosis.

https://nutritionaltherapy.com/hpa-axis-dysfunction-symptoms-root-cause-and-how-to-support/

My neurologist advised it's best to isolate conditions that can be treated instead of just having a diagnosis of ME/CFS and receiving none, so now I move on to Autonomic testing for what he suspects is POTS Dysautonomia. HPA-D happens in POTS. Hence why endocronologists and cardiologists or neurologists tend to work closely in managing patients with it.

People on this site have also mentioned it is best to carry out objective testing when your symptoms are at there worst .

https://christinagracehutson.com/blog/what-is-pots-dysautonomia

Also, any idea on whether this would be better in the evening?

Unfortunaltey not. My crashes and inflammation are worse in the evening, it could be due to cacircadian/diurnal rhythm also regulated by HPA axis.

Thanks a lot for the input, I'd be very interested in reading anything useful on this. Pm anytime.

Lots to read about but main source of help may be from endocronologists and cardiologists or neurologists with interests in fatiguing illnesses such as POTS.

Last edited:

Sledgehammer

Having this very bad all of a sudden. Gives me anxiety attack too for some reason. Or maybe something similar. My heart rate shoots up to 150 and i feel im going to pass out before my heart goes nuts. Its really weird and scary.

Not sure what the plan is atm. Maybe sipping liq food. Like ru i wonder if its my body cutting energy.

First meal is def the worst. Has anybody seen a stomach doctor for this issue?

I missed this, sorry. I'll be chatting with a stomach Doc next week. But first I have the task of making a list of talking points so I don't wander from the subject. It'll be interesting to see if the person I'll be talking with has knowledge of ME/CFS.

livinglighter

Having this very bad all of a sudden. Gives me anxiety attack too for some reason. Or maybe something similar. My heart rate shoots up to 150 and i feel im going to pass out before my heart goes nuts. Its really weird and scary.

Not sure what the plan is atm. Maybe sipping liq food. Like ru i wonder if its my body cutting energy.

First meal is def the worst. Has anybody seen a stomach doctor for this issue?

PANS and HPA axis which are in disarray in ME/CFS are all part of digestion and converting food for energy. anxiety is the stress response due to dysfunction, so I have read.

Last edited: