• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone crash after eating?

This happened to me when I was deficient in vitamin b6. I would fall asleep in the sofa immediately after eating dinner every evening. B6 is crucial for digesting protein and for producing stomach acid. It is like this feeling that the food remains unprocessed in the stomach and you get extremely tired and unwell.

B6 is tricky, though, as you can get too much, so just start on a small dose and be carefull. It can also kickstart magnesium uptake in which case you'll need extra magnesium to avoid magnesium deficiency symptoms.

I suppose this crashing could come from a lot of things, so this is just a suggestion about something to try out.

Last edited:

Dysfunkion

I get extremely tired after eating high fat or protein foods, from about 15 minutes after to about 3 hours after. Foods high in only carbs don't seem to have nearly as much of an effect.

This is a much different timespan than exercise crashes, which happen 24-48 hours after.
Interesting you bring up crash timing, that's something I also notice with triggers of all kinds. There is an actual reaction timeline specific to each response and it's a repeatable one. The effects with me from gluten or a lot of carbs are in that 15 minute window but hours later I don't get hit with much extreme fatigue, in fact 3 hours is usually when the effects start tapering off. If I eat animal protein though it's most multi staged, I'll get some mental effects in the 15 minute window, just generally feeling pretty wonky but then after a few hours into the next day I get hit with severe lethargy and general mental blunting. I can have all the stimulants I want and nothing will touch it. Really acidic food has long drawn out reactions too. For example if I eat something with a lot of tomato sauce like pizza after the initial carb/gluten sedation I will in the hours after into the next day be WIRED. but in a very bad way like I just drank 6 shots of espresso without any the positives of stimulants in general or coffee. The long day after reaction start to really taper of the day after that, really consistent pattern.