• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do sore throat / tonsil ulcers make you worse - PEM/inflammation?

Do sore throat / tonsil ulcers make you worse - PEM/inflammation?

• Yes - a lot worse!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes - but a little worse

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

• I do not have upper respiratory illnesses

• Total voters

MartinK

I realized one thing and I'm very interested.
Before my ME/CFS started, I suffered also a lot from various upper respiratory illnesses - sore throat / tonsil ulcers / influenza.

It often met me even when I was mild / moderate, not so much now, probably because Im at home at constant temperature.

But, since my ME/CFS, every time, when I have something with my upper respiratory system, crashed hard with loooooot of inflammation, that I can't even lie on my back because it burns me.

I wonder if these upper respiratory illnesses will knock you down so much every time!

I would also like to know what you think about it and whether you have somehow researched why its happening - and found a cause for it.

Alternatively, if you assigned your ME / CFS to some "subgroup" from this reason.

Interesting is, when I have ulcers in mouth, nothing happen, but on tonsils - huge problem!

thanks for anwers, cheers!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3

nerd

You mean if we observe in our own cases if they are associated with each other? I think there's no clear directionality if the sore throat causes issues or if it's just a manifestation of other issues.

Rufous McKinney

sore throat is chronic here, associated with severe dryness, and it cycles.

I can get strep level pain, if I go out to lunch and chat with someone (I recall).

Its comes on, early in the day, PEM symptom. Like I can develop the sore throat as I try to read an article.

Wishful

I haven't had either of those problems since developing ME (very rare sore throat before that either), but viral infections definitely did increase my ME symptoms. I think any immune system activation has the potential to worsen ME symptoms.

MartinK

Hi all, again I have big troubles with symptoms in the upper respiratory tract.
I only need to talk for a while and soon my throat starts to scratch and my whole body then feels inflamed with all known flu-like symptoms.
My hands and feet are cold...really liek flu ...but without flu.

I've been struggling with this for three weeks now.

What do you think?
- virus reactivation?
- bacterial overgrowth?
- yeast like Candida?
...or overactive immune system responses?

Because as far as I know, most flu-like symptoms are not caused by the "infection" itself, but by the immune system's reaction.