• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do Covid Vaccines trigger reactions in MCAS patients?

Have you had a Covid vaccine?

• I have been diagnosed with MCAS and I reacted badly to the Covid vaccine

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I have been diagnosed with MCAS and I didn't react to the Covid vaccine

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I suspect I have MCAS and I reacted badly to the Covid vaccine

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • I suspect I have MCAS and I didn't react to the Covid vaccine

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I've been diagnosed with MCAS and had a normal reaction to the vaccine

• I suspect I have MCAS and had a normal reaction to the vaccine

• Total voters

vision blue

I have a strange one…. First vaccine was April 10, 2nd was May 1. I had MCAS flare for both. Now 6 months later my shot site is tender, and my MCAS is flaring horribly again!

Has anyone experienced this?

This is my concern as well. I usually dont get rid of things when i get them. Im pictures that if i ever get the vax, the first 2 days i will have a normal vas response, then a managable flare for 3 weeks, then i will think im improving but another free weeks later will be the real crash and i will know its the vax but no one will believe me. And im left to live with it while everyone else says you did fine with the vax.

Sorry, even my fantasy life is dreary
these days

I have presumed MCAS but dont do well with h1 blockers and ketotifin was lije poison. My mcas doc spots the sane stuff you folks mentioned: that “all” (really? All? I'm so skeptical when they say all).were fine provided they premedicated with h1 and h2 blockers

I agree with many of the things @hapl808 says

Oi that was rambling but heres a new wrinkle to add to discussion: We are now on the verge of a pill that supposedly greatly decreases hospitalizations in Covid patients have taken within three days of symptoms.

Do tou think that will kill us MCAS folk? Although i cant tolerate even the supposedly innuculous antiviral acyclovir, my sense is the pil will cause less long term issue than the vax. But not sure from an MCAS point of view that should be true. Yes from an AI point of view- once you wake up your immune system with a vax you can worsen A so vax worse than antiviral, but for MCAS maybe both just as bad- foreign substance that makes us go beserk

@Strawberry. I hope u recover fast. Did you get moderna arm with your vax ?

andyguitar

my sense is the pil will cause less long term issue than the vax.
I'd expect the pill to cause far fewer problems than the jab. Jab provokes an immune response, and as far as i know the anti viral pill wont do that. But the problem might be that me/cfs patients can have a strange reaction to just about anything.

vision blue

I'd expect the pill to cause far fewer problems than the jab. Jab provokes an immune response, and as far as i know the anti viral pill wont do that. But the problem might be that me/cfs patients can have a strange reaction to just about anything.

Yes i was saying this but for MCAS (unlike AI disorders or even arguqbly plain vanilla CFS w/o MCAS) , it may not matter since immune response provoked by so many things regardless of whether that was the intent of the product- thats the point. So MCASers cant rest easy even when theres a pill that for many may be a much needed alternative (lije immunocompromised whose immune systems dont mount a response to vaz)

i hate the phrase “the jab” btw, almost as much as getting vax “into arms”

vision blue

@vision blue Have you tried any antihistamine compounded? Often times we react to the fillers and dyes in the over the counter tablets.

I have not and is interesting suggestion. in this particular case, was thinking it really is just the active ingredient because antihistamines raise blood pressure and was wondering if tha was connected with setting off autonomic/excess adreniline thing that happens. in some ways, i think when i get an allergic response, it helps my autonomic disturbance since my bp (finally) drops. its kind of like some times when you have a bad enuf allergic reaction and are going into analphylctic shock, they give you adreniline. but i already have so much adreniline, so was wondering if antihistamine was feeding into that somehow (I.e. the active ingredient rather than the dyes and the like).