• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Curcumin, caryophyllene, and the cannabinoid connection

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary -- I did mix it at 1:15 or 1:16 with a carrier oil. Then I put a few drops (5ish) under my tongue every couple of hours over the course of the day. The second time I tried it, I had much diminished response and sort of drifted off taking it. I definitely had a notable response the first time around, but it was diminished when I returned after a break. I still think it is interesting and have it on my shelf of supplements--the one I look at every morning, noon and night--and will likely do some more experimenting once I am done with several other trials I have lined up.
Thanks @Jyoti - That must be a bit maddening, to have such a good response first time around only to have it diminish. It seems to happen with a lot of things that I try! I am going to add the copaiba oil to my list of things to try. Right now I'm experimenting with a CBD product called Delta 8 for sleep (you can't get THC in Texas) and it is helping, though I'm afraid its effect may diminish over time. But one thing at a time -

The review linked above by @kangaSue is quite interesting - it has a good section on beta-caryophyllene (that is a hard word to spell! :confused: ) - I'd never thought of essential oils as having any real effect or benefit before reading it: A Systematic Review of Essential Oils and the Endocannabinoid System: A Connection Worthy of Further Exploration (hindawi.com)

chilove

This is really interesting to me because I always feel much better when I take oil of oregano (North American Herb & Spice brand is my favorite) and I see it also contains this. I will try the copaiba oil out as well!

chilove

You may have started to do more physical or mental stuff and outpaced how you are dosing. At times I would need to dose nearly every hour or vaporise it to get higher doses.
Recently I tried to cut back on medication and lost a whole week without even being too aware until I was quite bad (noticing getting bad is difficult somewhat). It is a ball and chain but if you do the work right it works perfectly once you are at the good point. You may well have had underlying infections that get recognised more vigorously by the immune system now so you will get periods of immune activation that you have to manage as you go. Try to think of this treatment as a dial you can tune your immune system with, but each situation requires different tuning (amounts). If you get a viral infection cut right back as B cells of the Humoral immune system are deactivated in there activated state through apoptosis via CB2 receptors which this treatment targets. This means that you will struggle to mount a proper immune response in a situation that requires B cells(needed for T cell activation and antibody generation to new pathogens). CB2 receptor is the fundamental shut down switch of the activated Humoral Adaptive Immune System response.

When we get more ill that is because of dysfunctional B cells and others like Microglia being activated (these cells can be infected with EBV) and because they are in this activated state we can trigger them to go through apoptosis via the CB2 receptor that gets expressed on there surface when activated. Apoptosis enzymatically destroys everything inside the cell even the latent EBV virus.

You may also have depleted what magnesium and potassium you have and these are electrolytes and are extremely important. I have infact recently bought potassium citrate to add to my supplements because I had started to hit a wall and was crashing a bit. Magnesium deficiency leads to potassium deficiency quite easily and is hard to replete well when magnesium is low. I take magnesium baths but now my need for potassium has gone up relatively so have to add back in potassium. These two electrolytes are commonly deficient in ME/CFS and increasing levels through diet is difficult and testing is useless as the body closely regulates the levels in the blood so blood test are no use. Magnesium triggers bowel movement too easily to ingest quick enough to replete the whole body effectively from a majorly deficient level. Once magnesium has been effectively addressed the potasium becomes an issue as demand increases due to the repleted magnesium.

EBV is a latent virus that messes with your immune system to persist. So as this gets out of control in us in many more areas of the body more stuff can build up.

Others says I say too much so I will wait to see if you have any questions before sharing more but in answer to your question- Its all relative vaporise for best results. Use drops out and about or around others who see vaporisation as a bad thing. If vaporising expect to bring up flem and stuff badly at first as it is an expectorant and you do have immune cells in your lungs, not for everyone but better than being disabled which I kind of do not see myself as anymore sort of lol.

Hope that helps,
CSMLSM

Daniel, are you saying here that we shouldn't use this approach if we have an active viral infection? I recently got test results showing I'm dealing with re-activated EBV presently. Thanks

CSMLSM

Daniel, are you saying here that we shouldn't use this approach if we have an active viral infection? I recently got test results showing I'm dealing with re-activated EBV presently. Thanks
Hi, chilove.

For EBV it works against it (my opinion) as it is a latent virus that hides in B cells of the immune system so this approach for EBV is beneficial.

If you have another virus like say a cold or flu then it could inhibit the immune system from effectively fighting it as Caryophyllene in the Copaiba gets rid of activated B cells which are part of the humoral adaptive immune system through what is called apoptosis.

Caryophyllene acts through CB2 receptors on the activated B cells to basically shut them down and push the immune system back to a more innate immune state.
Your body does this naturally after you fight off a virus like cold or flu to shut down the immune system when it is finished fighting the cold or flu and it does this with Endogenous Cannabinoids which the caryophyllene is mimicking by activating CB2 receptors. This also makes your innate immune state become dominant again. Innate immune system is the first responder to infections and is the part of the immune system that is the default when you are not fighting an infection and healthy.

Apoptosis destroys the B cells by triggering enzymes within the cell to destroy everything inside including the EBV. So if the B cell is active and infected with EBV it is eliminated at least in that cell.

Hope that helps

chilove

Hi, chilove.

For EBV it works against it (my opinion) as it is a latent virus that hides in B cells of the immune system so this approach for EBV is beneficial.

If you have another virus like say a cold or flu then it could inhibit the immune system from effectively fighting it as Caryophyllene in the Copaiba gets rid of activated B cells which are part of the humoral adaptive immune system through what is called apoptosis.

Caryophyllene acts through CB2 receptors on the activated B cells to basically shut them down and push the immune system back to a more innate immune state.
Your body does this naturally after you fight off a virus like cold or flu to shut down the immune system when it is finished fighting the cold or flu and it does this with Endogenous Cannabinoids which the caryophyllene is mimicking by activating CB2 receptors. This also makes your innate immune state become dominant again. Innate immune system is the first responder to infections and is the part of the immune system that is the default when you are not fighting an infection and healthy.

Apoptosis destroys the B cells by triggering enzymes within the cell to destroy everything inside including the EBV. So if the B cell is active and infected with EBV it is eliminated at least in that cell.

Hope that helps

Thank you! I bought some and mixed it in glycerine since I do better with glycerine than oils. I'm excited to try it!

chilove

Hi, chilove.

Hope that helps

Hey Daniel, I'm curious if you'd be open to giving us an update? Are you still using the Copaiba oil daily? How are you doing overall? Thanks so much!