• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cortisol brought me back to life.

Mick

Or, alternatively, could someone please tell me, how to test yourself correctly for cortisol deficiency/insufficiency. Or is it easier to take low-dose cortisol anyway, because no test can give you 100% certainty....

SWAlexander

Could someone list all the reliable hormone tests I'd need to have to determine if I require Cortisol/hormone therapy? I've had my thyroid tested multiple times (T3 and T4 levels - all within range), so would be looking for tests other than these.
(I say *reliable' in that I've had cortisol spit test some years I have - I think - and have since read these tests are not regarded as definitive or consistent enough to prove anything).
The best is first a "cortisol test" and after you would need an "ACTH test". Only at the endocrinology.

leokitten

If cortisol helps then look at the underlying mechanisms of action by which cortisol works in the body. Could be it’s anti-inflammatory and anti-stress biological effects in the body, or others. There might be alternative treatments that can target these same pathways without resorting to steroids like cortisol, which as a class of medicines really cannot be taken long-term at almost any dose, if you are within normal range without them, without causing detrimental consequences.

Last edited:

leokitten

Or maybe cortisol and steroids as a whole are somewhat a red herring in ME, they make everyone feel good, more active, and euphoric even. This is because steroids affect how multiple neurotransmitters in the brain are regulated, particularly dopamine and serotonin. So this could be the reason they helped you. There are other meds that could do the same without the long-term consequences of taking steroids.

Last edited: