• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic Lung Inflammation

Nord Wolf

The Northman
I’ve ben struggling with chronic lung inflammation for a handful of years now. My pulmonologist tabled it as Chronic Persistent Moderate Severe Asthma. What an absurd name. The consensus of my healthcare team is that the more severe development of ME/CFS caused the development of Chronic Persistent Moderate Severe Asthma. They also feel in-part it could have been caused by lingering damage from being poisoned in 05. And others think it was caused by chronic extreme trauma. In other words, they don’t know.

Nevertheless, it has become more persistent and problematic in the last two years as the ME/CFS symptoms have dramatically increased. It feels like my lungs are filed with dry acidic cotton and a space heater. My lungs can ache when it is really aggravated, for days. Shortness of breath, labored breathing, wheezing… but always dry, never an issue with fluid in the lungs.

I don’t have covid-19, never have. Yes heavy weather front make it worse. Dampness or severe dryness makes it worse. Extreme cold or extreme heat makes it worse. When I was still able to exercise, it would make it worse. When I have strong uprisings of internal ptsd, it makes it worse. Grief makes it worse. I have not been ill with any microbial since this developed, so unsure how it would be affected.

I’ve been tested for about every allergy under the sun and have zero environmental allergies. I avoid all foods I tested allergic to years back. I’ve been on 4 doses a day of Avair inhaler and 10mg of Monelukast once a day for a couple years now, though I’d rather not be.

I use:
  • salt air

• air purifier in house 24/7

• essential oils of hyssop, peppermint, eucalyptus, on occasion (too much can irritate)

• NIR and RED light on the chest

• Buteyko breathing techniques

• meditation and visualization and color therapy

• acupressure

• utilized acupuncture specifically for it for 4 years with zero lasting results

• am on a low inflammatory diet

• utilized certain foods supposedly good to controlling asthma with no results

Part of the issue is the lack of complete understanding (medically) as to its exact cause. So thus far it has been treated as persistent asthma (not acute attack asthma), and the condition has mostly been unresponsive.

Anyone else in this community have this issue, or perhaps knowledge of something I’ve yet to try, etc?

Thanks-

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Some medications and experiences can cause Pulmonary fibrosis. It doesn't show up on an x-ray. Macrobid caused that for my Mom. The doctor and a NP kept saying it couldn't do that so quickly for her but she already had COPD. Why would it be such a stretch of the imagination to think she was already well down the pathway to lung damage?

Anyway, comparing a later CT to a CT she had before those medical people examined her showed that she did indeed develop Pulmonary Fibrosis during the time she was put on that medication and exactly in the area she was telling them she had pain when she breathed. :(

She has died now but since then I have read that things like Serrapeptase and Nattokinase (and similar) can help break down the fibrosis. I don't know if that is true but something to research. Also NAC has been studied for COPD and some people get relief from it.

Plus, if your lung inflammation is being caused by micro-clots (one of the newest Long Covid and possibly ME/CFS theories), these supplements are supposed to help with that.

(I know you said you didn't have Covid but there seems to be some overlap between the two illnesses.)

Also these supplements thin the blood somehow so please check with your pharmacist if you are on any blood thinning type medications already.

The other thing is I wouldn't do the essential oils at all. For some they can be helpful but with the degree of damage it sounds like you have going on, I can only see them being more of an irritant. Just my opinion.

Also have they sent you for the breathing tests? Have they ruled out COPD?

Buteyko breathing techniques

I don't know if this is similar to the Valsalva maneuver (I'll have to research it more) but the Valsalva maneuver is very similar to a technique called pursed lip breathing. I disagree with the "experts" that pursed lip breathing is helpful. It always made my Mom's arrhythmias worse.

This ARTICLE is a little TMI (too much information) but it explains well the technique and what I'm trying to say, i.e. that even how we breath can be dangerous sometimes.

Edit: Other things we tried for her over the years were Ivy Leaf and Wild Cherry Bark. I do not remember if she got any relief from those though. I wanna say probably not if we didn't keep using them but everyone is different so maybe they would be helpful for you.

Oh, VITAMIN A...the fish oil kind. She would ask for that when she was having issues. I have also used it and we used it on a cat for a short time as well and it gave everyone some degree of relief.
It's a pretty high dose so I would just use as needed and not everyday if you can help it.

I just looked at the bottle I have and some listings of this brand have changed the formula a bit so I hope you can still get the kind I linked if you decide to try it. :(

Last edited:

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Some medications and experiences can cause Pulmonary fibrosis. It doesn't show up on an x-ray. Macrobid caused that for my Mom. The doctor and a NP kept saying it couldn't do that so quickly for her but she already had COPD. Why would it be such a stretch of the imagination to think she was already well down the pathway to lung damage?

Anyway, comparing a later CT to a CT she had before those medical people examined her showed that she did indeed develop Pulmonary Fibrosis during the time she was put on that medication and exactly in the area she was telling them she had pain when she breathed. :(

She has died now but since then I have read that things like Serrapeptase and Nattokinase (and similar) can help break down the fibrosis. I don't know if that is true but something to research.
I am sorry to hear about your mother. Due to some vain and ignorant doctors one of my grandmothers and my father-in-law both died early when their conditions could have been corrected with proper medical treatment. If someone is going to claim to be a doctor, then they just simply cannot allow themselves to be close minded. It is the medical “practice”, not the all knowing medical field after all.
Also NAC has been studied for COPD and some people get relief from it.
I do take 1200mg of NAC daily, along with NACA which helps with the utilization of NAC.
The other thing is I wouldn't do the essential oils at all. For some they can be helpful but with the degree of damage it sounds like you have going on, I can only see them being more of an irritant. Just my opinion.
I agree. The essential oils were something I had ben trying, but since we got our amazing air purifier I have not used them.
Also these supplements thin the blood somehow so please check with your pharmacist if you are on any blood thinning type medications already.
Not on any such medications.
Also have they sent you for the breathing tests? Have they ruled out COPD?
All the imagery and breathing tests I had done was years ago now. We had planned to order all new imagery; CT, MRI, X-Rays… in 2020, but then the pandemic hit, and ever since my docs are unable to get me in for any imagining. Our hopes is that come spring the imaging facilities will have openings again. So at this time, we just don’t know and the lack of imagining availability has prolonged our not knowing. My doctors are all very frustrated in the backlog and inability to get their patients scheduled for test they need.
Best-

if you want an MRI you can use prenuvo, since we're both in new england (I'm in western mass), you and I are not far away from their Canadian center but then again theres crossing the border to complicate things. I don't have lung problems but did have covid which manifested as the cytokine storm and I got rid of it within an hour with gumweed leaf tea, I read you do not have covid. I also tried various peptides, including chonluten, which according to Khavinson repairs lung and stomach tissue, in my case when I took it for my peptic ulcer which at that time I didn't know I had but knew I was having bloody stool, when the GI doc did his endoscopy he found a 5mm peptic ulcer a few days after I took it and given how much blood I shit out and how low my hemoglobin was, 4.6, it must have been in the 2-4cm range. This is why I really want to direct message you, moderators, please assist