• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chinese skullcap seems to correct PEM/the energy problem in ME

godlovesatrier

Forgot to add I've also noticed over the last few years that even if I find something which helps me with my energy. It leaves me open to getting bacterial infections. When this happens my body for some reason isn't able to fight off the bacterial infection, subsequently ebv starts to replicate until I've got symptoms and my energy levels begin to plummet. This only ever happens if I have a bacterial infection.

So I am currently trying to find potent anti bacterials. As without them I just get sick and any attempts to regulate and boost energy don't work. Currently trialing Lauricidin again (I got a bad rash from this last time I tried it) and I might throw goldenseal in but you are not meant to take that for extended periods. So finding an anti bacterial which won't harm you is also difficult.

msf

now would you recommend ALA in combination with skullcap or just skullcap alone?

I take both, but I use the ALA as a energy booster when I do exercise. If you are going to attempt strenous exercise(whatever counts as strenous exercise in your own case) then it might be worth trying.

MartinK

@msf Hi there, I try chinese skullcap tincture right now. Please, how does it work for you? Did you take it for long time for the improvement, or do you feel an improvement after one dose?

Thanks ;-)

msf

Sorry @MartinK , I thought I had replied to this. I brew it as a tea, and the effect was noticeable straightaway when I started an exercise session about 30 min later. How is it going for you?

Last edited:

msf

Just a quick update. I am still able to work out as before, except that I am drinking more than I was previously and this in combination with exercise still causes serious PEM. I have decided that if I am really going to get maximum benefit from skullcap I should really severely limit my drinking, so I will report back in a month or so on what effect this has. I just found a study that showed that even healthy people have increased LPS in their bloodstream from having four drinks, so I've realised it's a bit unrealistic to expect skullcap to deal with both this effect and the ME.

msf

https://plantmedicines.org/scullcap-compound-treats-leaky-gut-syndrome/

I think someone suggested earlier that skullcap might have an effect directly on the gut; it seems there are several studies that would support this theory. Of course, it might be having this effect by affecting the energy metabolism of the gut barrier cells, and may simultaneously be having the effect I suggested on the PBMCs as well. It could also exert its effect in some other way, of course, I guess we will have to wait for someone to do a trial to have a better idea.

gregh286

Just a quick update. I am still able to work out as before, except that I am drinking more than I was previously and this in combination with exercise still causes serious PEM. I have decided that if I am really going to get maximum benefit from skullcap I should really severely limit my drinking, so I will report back in a month or so on what effect this has. I just found a study that showed that even healthy people have increased LPS in their bloodstream from having four drinks, so I've realised it's a bit unrealistic to expect skullcap to deal with both this effect and the ME.

Have to say @msf I'm really on your page there.
Drinking brings me down dramatically and if it's a wheat derivative it's hell. Also my angioedmea increases so colon is letting past material.
Lactoferrin is really good for tight wall junction.
We are very alike in these regards

gregh286

Hi @msf
How did you get on when you cut back on the sauce?
Ta.

godlovesatrier

Not sure where your based but I have a link to Etsy somewhere in this thread. Source is European. Seems to appear decent but you won't know till it arrives.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Here is a great article by a MCAS naturopath that recommends two types of Chinese skullcap (bacalin) extract. It is said to be relaxing (GABA agonist) and helps getting out of inflammatory 'flares' by lowering culprit inflammatory cytokines TNFa, IL-6, etc.

Here are the two forms of Chinese skullcup she prescribes in her practice to patients with excess inflammation:
I just got the Huang Qin alcohol-free liquid today and took 2 drops under my tongue sublingually. It seems to be potent and have some kind of relaxing or immune modulating effect I could feel within an hour.

Last edited:

Learner1

Here is a great article by a MCAS naturopath that recommends two types of Chinese skullcap (bacalin) extract. It is said to be relaxing (GABA agonist) and helps getting out of inflammatory 'flares' by lowering culprit inflammatory cytokines TNFa, IL-6, etc.

Here are the two forms of Chinese skullcup she prescribes in her practice to patients with excess inflammation:
I just got the Huang Qin alcohol-free liquid today and took 2 drops under my tongue sublingually. It seems to be potent and have some kind of relaxing or immune modulating effect I could feel within an hour.
I've been taking 5g daily of Huang Qin for about 3 weeks, but have noticed no change in energy. It is known for reducing TGF-beta and VEGF.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Tonight I took 8 drops of Haung Qin (Chinese Skullcap) liquid extract it it feels very soothing. Really seems to "hit the spot" and downregulate my inflammatory response. Seems like good stuff, excited to explore more!

GlassCannonLife

Only stumbled onto this thread now, very interesting read.

I've been taking Chinese skullcap powder, around 5 g every night, for over 18 months to improve my sleep.

I had read the potential liver damage info when I first looked into it but I have had tests every few weeks/months for this entire period, including during a 3 month treatment with valcyte and my liver has been fine the entire time. I do take a couple of grams of NAC daily though and have been taking milk thistle for a few months now.

Unfortunately the skullcap doesn't seem to affect my PEM in any way. I might try take some during the day in the future and see if I notice an effect then, but taking it each night hasn't done anything aside from very mildly helping with my sleep.

Last edited:

msf

Quick update: I still use skullcap, and it is still effective, but I have recently realized that most of the positive effects I ascribed to skullcap were actually from doing the keto diet. I will write a longer post explaining why I think this works when I have time to do so.

gregh286

Quick update: I still use skullcap, and it is still effective, but I have recently realized that most of the positive effects I ascribed to skullcap were actually from doing the keto diet. I will write a longer post explaining why I think this works when I have time to do so.

Hi msf
Good to know.
Makes perfect sense.
One thing for.def we are not burning sugars. If we do consume just end up more lactate in the system...worsening condition.
Keto is the business. We have somehow to keep.ketones in bloodstream to keep.eneegy homeostatis.
I have to agree with you strongly. On that.

msf

Hi msf
Good to know.
Makes perfect sense.
One thing for.def we are not burning sugars. If we do consume just end up more lactate in the system...worsening condition.
Keto is the business. We have somehow to keep.ketones in bloodstream to keep.eneegy homeostatis.
I have to agree with you strongly. On that.

Yeah exactly. Carbs just end up causing lactic acidosis like you said because of some problem with glycolysis (too much aerobic glycolysis I think).