• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida & Biofilms - Theory & Protocol

Gestalt

Thank you for taking the time in explaining that Gestalt

Here: http://curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=2052975 I just found Dr Ericbakker explains that

"many people with candida have found to have pH issues with there small intestine in particular"

"Unlike caprylic acid study's have shown that undecylenic acid works best is an predominantly acid environment"

"To make sure undecylenic acid works best in the small bowel, I always recommend a small amount of digestive enzyme like betain hydrochloride. This ensures the undecylenic acid works best where you want it to, in the duodenum and the ileum"

Thorn has now produced SF742 which includes betain hydrochloride.

Wow, thanks for that info. That makes a lot of sense. I am starting to think the entire Candida issue is an alkalinity issue. This was posted before, and I am posting it again:

Alkalinity promotes Candida overgrowth

Now let's take a look at pH tracked through the entire GI tract.

intraluminal-ph-levels.jpg.gif

It's the small intestine section from the Duodenum through to right before the Cecum that pH is of the highest alkalinity. Therefore in the above graph those in the 75th to 90th percentile are at really high risk of Candida.

Candida creates an alkaline environment for itself to thrive. The small intestine is a natural place for it to take up residence as the the pancreas secretes sodium bicarbonate to neutralize the HCl coming in from the stomach.

I think the trick is therefore to increase acidity in the small intestine. Now there may be a few ways to do this.
  1. Take additional amounts of HCl as in the SF742. I question this method though because the pancreas is so good already at neutralizing HCl.
  2. Drink small amounts of apple cider vinegar to hopefully directly increase acidity in the small intestine.
  3. Take lots of "lactic acid" producing lactobacilli like acidopholous. It is the lactobacilli & steptococci that inhabit the small intestine the most.
  4. Feed the lactobacilli their favorite prebiotic foods to increase lactic acid production. We therefore want quick fermenting pre-biotics.
This will positively impact the following anti-candida strategies
  1. Saccharomyces boulardii (anti-candida yeast) works best in an acidic environment
  2. Undecylenic acid works better in an acidic environment
In the long run I think we need to permanently shift the ecology of the small intestine to one that is more acidic. I think this is best done initially with lactic acid probiotics and then sustained by appropriate prebiotics.

We want to be careful here so we don't create SIBO. However it looks like using Lactobacillus plantarum, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, lactobacillus rhamnosus are the same bacteria that can cure SIBO will also cure SIFO which is what we are after.

Questions:

I wonder if there is an acid that is not neutralized by sodium bicarbonate? I wonder by what chemical mechanism Candida makes an environment more alkaline?

I can't help but think that meals have a strong impact in terms of all of this. Should anti-candida supplements be taken away from meals, in hopes there isn't sodium bicarbonate released to neutralize their effects? Or should we be trying to counter-act/compensate for the bicarbonate released during meal digestion?

My thoughts are an empty stomach may be ideal, or right before a meal. Stomach acid is notorious for killing probiotics. Delayed release lactobacilli capsules with stomach acid guard may be a good strategy here. Also the ideal prebiotics need to be determined. Ones that increase acidity and are favored by the small intestine microbes. @Ripley any ideas from your extensive readings?

Ripley

I think the trick is therefore to increase acidity in the small intestine.

That chart is from here. People swallowed a "smart pill" that reported back the pH. And it was noted:
Alan V. Safdi MD said:
"The rise in intraluminal pH between the stomach and the small intestine is most likely the result of alkaline pancreatic secretions and mucosal bicarbonate secretion in the terminal ileum. The subsequent decrease in pH in the cecum is probably due to the generation of short-chain fatty acids as colonic bacteria ferment carbohydrates. Then, pH again rises in the distal colon as short-chain fatty acids are absorbed and metabolized by the colonic epithelium in exchange with mucosal bicarbonate secretion." [LINK]

So, there is no doubt that the small intestine is supposed to be the least acidic part of the GIT — it's not some kind of defect. But the question is whether there is benefit from it being slightly more acidic. I think it's probably ideal to be just under 7 pH. But, I wouldn't get the idea that it needs to be really acidic. I think the trick is to just make sure that it's not actually alkaline. @Gestalt , good point that some people may be susceptible to having low acid there.

Makes me wish the "smart pill" was something you could get easily on Amazon with an iPhone app to track it. :)

Gestalt

So, there is no doubt that the small intestine is supposed to be the least acidic part of the GIT — it's not some kind of defect. But the question is whether there is benefit from it being slightly more acidic. I think it's probably ideal to be just under 7 pH. But, I wouldn't get the idea that it needs to be really acidic. I think the trick is to just make sure that it's not actually alkaline. @Gestalt , good point that some people may be susceptible to having low acid there.

pH is on a logarithmic scale so a small change in value is a large change in terms of acid/alkalinity.

We may only move by 0.1 on the pH scale but it could make all the difference in terms of Candida. And moving by 0.1 may take quite a bit. But your right we don't want to get too acidic. Drinking vinegar by the gallon is not advised. ;)

Ripley

Fascinating...

I asked Dr. Grace about it, and here was her reply:

Dr. Grace BG said:
Actually the RPS [Raw Potato Starch] studies are that [RS2] rapidly ferments in the caecum, but not much elsewhere. Stool pH does not change much. RPS fails to dilute ammonia or other fecal carcinogens.

When however insoluble fiber (5% cellulose, that's quite a bit for human diets -- 20 g/day, ~4 Tbs psyllium rough equivalent), then fermentation appears to be carried out throughout the entire GIT. pH lowers significantly and in the stool. Ammonia is diluted, etc

I've read about alkalinity and SIFO but I don't have a reference. The lack of commensals in the SI is what allows the candida to overbreed there where the environment is nutrient/carb rich.

When lactobacilli and other commensals are re-established, studies show that candida is either prevented or can be reduced. However once candida is colonized and firmly established (like it likes to do, especially when mercury burdens are high), very hard to fix the SI I've seen and found.

Lp, Enterococcus (probiotic), SBOs etc are all antifungal too.

Antibiotics and parasites are the triggers candida, then subsequent autoimmune diseases/CFS/etc. I'm finding this connection everywhere. Here's the latest on both autism and celiac and early use of antibiotics. The problem is nearly every mom has had antibiotics or microbes are lost thru disease, gastroenteritis, infection or diet.

Not everyone has celiac, but the epidemic of gluten sensitivity derives from common root causes when the SI degrades and can't perform its functions.

http://physrev.physiology.org/content/physrev/90/3/859.full.pdf

Autism Very little is known about the underlying etiology of autism. Extensive antibiotic use is commonly associated with late-onset autism (18–24 mo of age), causing some to hypothesize that disruptions in the normal microbiota may allow colonization by autism-triggering microorganism( s), or promote the overgrowth of neurotoxin-producing bacteria like Clostridium tetani (24). The link between the intestinal microbiota and autism is supported by the following observations: 1) disease onset often follows antimicrobial therapy, 2) gastrointestinal abnormalities are often present at the onset of autism and frequently persist, and 3) autistic symptoms have sometimes been reduced by oral vancomycin treatment, while relapse occurs following cessation of treatment (71, 259). These observations have been supported by qPCR (279) and culture-based (71) microbiota profiling techniques, which indicate that certain clusters of Clostridium spp. are present at 10-fold higher numbers in stool samples from autistic children compared with healthy controls.

Furthermore, the authors suggest that it is not a mere coincidence that exposure to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole antibiotics is much more likely to precede diagnosis of late-onset autism than exposure to any other antibiotic regimen. Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole antibiotics are not effective against Clostridium spp., suggesting that early exposure to these drugs may promote an overgrowth of Clostridium spp. that could contribute to the etiology of autism (71). Interestingly, oral vancomycin specifically targets Gm organisms, among them Clostridium spp. Clostridia spores that remain viable after vancomycin treatment are believed to be responsible for the relapses that occur in autistic patients after discontinuation of vancomycin. One group has even suggested that Clostridia spores are the reason why high rates of autism are seen among siblings (70). Finegold et al. (71) suggested a number of mechanisms whereby the gut microbiota could be responsible for the debilitation of regressive autism including neurotoxin production by a subset of abnormal flora, autoantibody production that results in the attack on neuron-associated proteins, or microbial production of toxic metabolites that have neurological side effects (71).

Am J Epidemiol. 2014 May 22. pii: kwu101. [Epub ahead of print]
Association of Maternal Education, Early Infections, and Antibiotic Use With Celiac Disease: A Population-Based Birth Cohort Study in Northeastern Italy.
Canova C, Zabeo V, Pitter G, Romor P, Baldovin T, Zanotti R, Simonato L.
Abstract

We conducted a population-based birth cohort study of approximately 203,000 babies born in northeastern Italy (1989-2012) to investigate perinatal variables, early infections leading to hospital admission, and antibiotic use in the first 12 months of life as possible risk factors for celiac disease (CD). Incident CD cases were identified from pathology reports, hospital discharge records, and exemptions from prescription charges for clinical tests. Multivariate Poisson regression models were fitted to estimate incidence rate ratios (IRRs). A total of 1,227 children had CD; CD was histopathologically confirmed in 866 (71%). Female sex, maternal age, and high maternal educational level were found to be significantly associated with CD. Gastrointestinal infections were strongly associated with a subsequent diagnosis of CD (IRR = 2.04, 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.30, 3.22). Antibiotic use was significantly associated with CD onset (IRR = 1.24, 95% CI: 1.07, 1.43), with a dose-response relationship for number of courses (P-trend < 0.01). Cephalosporin use strongly increased the risk of CD (IRR = 1.42, 95% CI: 1.18, 1.73). Use of antibiotics (supported by the dose-response relationship) and gastrointestinal infections in the first year of life may facilitate the early onset of CD by altering intestinal microflora and the gut mucosal barrier. Perinatal factors, including cesarean section, had little influence on the risk of childhood CD.

BMC Gastroenterol. 2013 Jul 8;13:109. doi: 10.1186/1471-230X-13-109.
Antibiotic exposure and the development of coeliac disease: a nationwide case-control study.
Mårild K1, Ye W, Lebwohl B, Green PH, Blaser MJ, Card T, Ludvigsson JF.
Author information
Abstract

BACKGROUND:
The intestinal microbiota has been proposed to play a pathogenic role in coeliac disease (CD). Although antibiotics are common environmental factors with a profound impact on intestinal microbiota, data on antibiotic use as a risk factor for subsequent CD development are scarce.

METHODS:
In this population-based case-control study we linked nationwide histopathology data on 2,933 individuals with CD (Marsh stage 3; villous atrophy) to the Swedish Prescribed Drug Register to examine the association between use of systemic antibiotics and subsequent CD. We also examined the association between antibiotic use in 2,118 individuals with inflammation (Marsh 1-2) and in 620 individuals with normal mucosa (Marsh 0) but positive CD serology. All individuals undergoing biopsy were matched for age and sex with 28,262 controls from the population.

RESULTS:
Antibiotic use was associated with CD (Odds ratio [OR] = 1.40; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.27-1.53), inflammation (OR = 1.90; 95% CI = 1.72-2.10) and normal mucosa with positive CD serology (OR = 1.58; 95% CI = 1.30-1.92). ORs for prior antibiotic use in CD were similar when we excluded antibiotic use in the last year (OR = 1.30; 95% CI = 1.08-1.56) or restricted to individuals without comorbidity (OR = 1.30; 95% CI = 1.16 - 1.46).

CONCLUSIONS:
The positive association between antibiotic use and subsequent CD but also with lesions that may represent early CD suggests that intestinal dysbiosis may play a role in the pathogenesis of CD. However, non-causal explanations for this positive association cannot be excluded.

Nutr Hosp. 2013 Mar-Apr;28(2):464-73. doi: 10.3305/nh.2013.28.2.6310.
Influence of early environmental factors on lymphocyte subsets and gut microbiota in infants at risk of celiacdisease; the PROFICEL study.
Pozo-Rubio T1, de Palma G, Mujico JR, Olivares M, Marcos A, Acuña MD, Polanco I, Sanz Y, Nova E.
Author information
Abstract
in English, Spanish
INTRODUCTION:
It is known that the HLA genotype can explain about a 40% of the genetic risk of celiac disease (CD), thus, other genetic predisposing factors as well as factors that subtly modulate T cell activation and differentiation need to be studied. This includes environmental factors that are currently believed to impact on the immune system and gut microbiota development.

AIM:
To assess the associations between early environmental factors (EEF), lymphocyte subsets, and intestinal microbiota composition in infants at familial risk for CD.

STUDY DESIGN:
Prospective observational study.

SUBJECTS:
Fifty-five 4 month-old infants with at least a first-degree relative suffering CD. Infants were classified according to type of delivery, mother's antibiotic intake during pregnancy and during labor, milk-feeding practices, early infections and antibiotic intake, rotavirus vaccine administration, and allergy incidence within the first 18 months of life.

METHODS:
Lymphocyte subsets and gut microbiota composition were studied at the age of 4 months.

RESULTS:
Formula feeding and infant's infections were associated with higher CD3+, CD4+, CD4+CD38+, CD4+CD28+ and CD3+CD4+CD45RO+ counts (P0.01). Infant s infections were also associated with higher CD4+CD25+, CD4+HLA-DR+ and NK cell counts (P0.01). Cesarean delivery and rotavirus vaccine administration were associated with lower percentage of CD4+CD25+ cells. Infant's antibioticintake was associated and correlated with lower counts of Bifidobacterium longum and higher counts of Bacteroides fragilis group.

CONCLUSIONS:
Infant s infections and antibiotic intake in the first 4 months of life are the EEF more strongly and/or frequently associated to lymphocyte subpopulations and microbiota composition, respectively, in infants at risk of CD.

Gestalt

Dr. Grace BG said:
However once candida is colonized and firmly established (like it likes to do, especially when mercury burdens are high), very hard to fix the SI I've seen and found.
Tell me about it ..... :(

Ripley

Hi, I also just started Candida diet 6 weeks ago and I take Caprylic Acid. I was wondering if you have any updates on how you are feeling and what works for you. I just started a group for people who are on Candida Diet. Please join as and share your experience. I am hoping we can support each other and see what works
https://www.facebook.com/groups/685136058200401/

Welcome, innaz!

For me, I feel I have made a 90%-95% recovery from candida. The majority of my recovery took about 8 weeks.

For what it's worth, Caprylic Acid is a fairly weak anti-fungal (I think coconut oil salesmen overpromised it's potential) — it pretty much works by lowering the pH in a petri dish to inhibit candida growth. Virtually any acid would likely have similar results in vitro (and many do). Unfortunately, the body breaks down caprylic acid into ketone bodies, and candida (being eukaryotic organisms with mitochondria) can readily adapt to ketones as a primary fuel source. In other words, Caprylic Acid can make things worse in vivo once candida has had time to adapt to ketones for fuel.

And the Candida Diet™ is heavily flawed and obsolete, by not only being ketogenic, but by limiting fermentable carbohydrates — the very fibers that ferments to lower the pH in your GIT, which would in turn render candida into a benign yeast.

See: Alkalinity promotes Candida overgrowth

Most of what you need to know about successfully combating candida can be found in this very thread and this excellent post by @Gestalt. I also found the Perfect Health Diet to be extremely helpful in terms of what foods to eat to maximize intestinal fermentation while keeping candida at bay (it was originally designed as an anti-candida diet by the creator).

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Welcome, innaz!

For me, I feel I have made a 90%-95% recovery from candida.

For what it's worth, Caprylic Acid is a fairly weak anti-fungal (I think coconut oil salesmen overpromised it's potential) — it pretty much works by lowering the pH in a petri dish to inhibit candida growth. Virtually any acid would likely have similar results. Unfortunately, the body breaks down caprylic acid into ketone bodies, and candida (being eukaryotic organisms with mitochondria) can readily adapt to ketones as a primary fuel source. In other words, Caprylic Acid can make things worse in vivo once candida has had time to adapt to ketones for fuel.

And the Candida Diet™ is heavily flawed and obsolete, by not only being ketogenic, but by limiting fermentable carbohydrates — the very fibers that ferments to lower the pH in your GIT, which would in turn render candida into a benign yeast.

Most of what you need to know about successfully combating candida can be found in this very thread and this excellent post by @Gestalt. I also found the Perfect Health Diet to be extremely helpful in terms of what foods to eat to maximize intestinal fermentation while keeping candida at bay (it was originally designed as an anti-candida diet by the creator).

Good luck to you.

Thank You. I just started on Coconut Oil. I will read the thread you recommended. I appreciate the help. So far the strict diet (no sugar of any kind and no carbs) didn't produce any noticeable results. I guess I need to explore other things.

Ripley

Thank You. I just started on Coconut Oil. I will read the thread you recommended. I appreciate the help. So far the strict diet (no sugar of any kind and no carbs) didn't produce any noticeable results. I guess I need to explore other things.

Let us know if you have questions.

If/when your candida adapts to ketones as its primary fuel source (a process that can take months), the ketones your body produces from taking coconut oil — and the lack of safe starches — will only serve to fuel the candida over the long term.

The Candida Diet™ works on the starvation theory. But it's a heavily flawed theory. Candida can simply hunker down under its biofilms until it figures out how to adapt to all those ketones floating around the body. The process of ketone adaptation can take months, so it's not something people typically notice very readily. Once it happens, it can make candida even more powerful because A) ketones are an excellent fuel source for ketone-adapted candida and B) the highly alkaline pH in the intestines (from lack of bacterial fermentation) will allow candida to thrive in its pathogenic filamentous/hyphal form — rather than the benign yeast form found at more acidic conditions. It's a double-whammy.

Last edited:
I just read the post. A lot of information! My question is about Protocol (Detach Matrix, Target Microbes, Cleanup & Repopulate with good guys – using Resistant Starch). How long would you continue each step before proceeding to next? Is it enough to take Candex for phase one or should it be combined with other enzymes? Does it hurt to start on bentonite clay right away? Thanks.

Ripley

I just read the post. A lot of information! My question is about Protocol (Detach Matrix, Target Microbes, Cleanup & Repopulate with good guys – using Resistant Starch). How long would you continue each step before proceeding to next? Is it enough to take Candex for phase one or should it be combined with other enzymes? Does it hurt to start on bentonite clay right away? Thanks.

Many people find it helpful to simply start eating fermentable carbs (safe starches) again to support the immune system, glycosylation of carbohydrate compounds throughout the body — such as the all-important mucin for the gut barrier — and fermentation of SCFAs by commensal gut bugs (which are known to combat candida). For many people, simply incorporating safe starches into the diet can help tremendously. So, I would start with diet.

Keep in mind that just to get to moderate level of carbohydrates (30% as recommended by the PHD) from safe starches, you actually need to eat a ton of starches. For a person consuming 2,000 calories, that would be the equivalent of a pound of safe starches. It's way more than you think because complex carbs tend to contain a lot of water (as opposed to a refined carb which is extremely carby and tends to be quite dry and compact). Incorporating fats, acids and fibers will help minimize glycemic spikes (i.e. just eat your starches in the context of an actual meal), and your body should improve its glycemic tolerance.

You make experience some short term side effects if you have been ketogenic and avoiding carbs for awhile.

Last edited:

Gestalt

So I was supplementing with N-Acetylegulcosamine (GlcNAc) for a while as it is thought to be an excellent prebiotic and is used in the synthesis of Hyaluronan. Initially I felt a bit better taking it, but then severe fatigue began to set in. I may have been inadvertently promoting the virulence of Candida.

"GlcNAc signaling is under investigation in the human fungal pathogen Candida albicans because it is a potent inducer of hyphal growth, whereas other sugars are not (2). GlcNAc induces two sets of responses that have significance for understanding the mechanisms of pathogenesis. One pathway stimulates C. albicans to switch from budding to hyphal growth and to induce expression of virulence genes." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3190674/
NAG may also incidentally be bad for those with Lyme disease: http://digitalcommons.uri.edu/dissertations/AAI3380537/

After trying 2x Candex this morning, I had a slight case of nausea leading me to think NAG brought about a resurgence.

I'm gonna go back on the candex for a bit, and try acidifying my SI with lactobacilli.

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
I've tried NAG too, it didn't make me feel great either. Didn't know it might have anything to do with candida, though.

Christopher

So I was supplementing with N-Acetylegulcosamine (GlcNAc) for a while as it is thought to be an excellent prebiotic and is used in the synthesis of Hyaluronan. Initially I felt a bit better taking it, but then severe fatigue began to set in. I may have been inadvertently promoting the virulence of Candida.

"GlcNAc signaling is under investigation in the human fungal pathogen Candida albicans because it is a potent inducer of hyphal growth, whereas other sugars are not (2). GlcNAc induces two sets of responses that have significance for understanding the mechanisms of pathogenesis. One pathway stimulates C. albicans to switch from budding to hyphal growth and to induce expression of virulence genes." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3190674/
NAG may also incidentally be bad for those with Lyme disease: http://digitalcommons.uri.edu/dissertations/AAI3380537/

After trying 2x Candex this morning, I had a slight case of nausea leading me to think NAG brought about a resurgence.

I'm gonna go back on the candex for a bit, and try acidifying my SI with lactobacilli.

You still avoiding NAG?

end

Welcome, innaz!

For me, I feel I have made a 90%-95% recovery from candida. The majority of my recovery took about 8 weeks.

For what it's worth, Caprylic Acid is a fairly weak anti-fungal (I think coconut oil salesmen overpromised it's potential) — it pretty much works by lowering the pH in a petri dish to inhibit candida growth. Virtually any acid would likely have similar results in vitro (and many do). Unfortunately, the body breaks down caprylic acid into ketone bodies, and candida (being eukaryotic organisms with mitochondria) can readily adapt to ketones as a primary fuel source. In other words, Caprylic Acid can make things worse in vivo once candida has had time to adapt to ketones for fuel.

Good luck to you.

@Ripley would you consider lemon and/or lime juice pro or anticandida?

I have read that these two fruits are acidic in the Gut but Alkaline forming in the blood

Ripley

@Ripley would you consider lemon and/or lime juice pro or anticandida?

I have read that these two fruits are acidic in the Gut but Alkaline forming in the blood

Well, I suppose technically I would consider them to be anti-candida-growth. However, I don't subscribe to the acid/alkaline theory for the blood. See...

The Acid-Alkaline Myth: Part 1
The Acid-Alkaline Myth: Part 2

It's worth pointing out that drinking/eating acid probably only has a mild to weak effect on candida. The interesting paradox is that a lot of supposedly "alkaline" foods tend to get fermented by our gut flora into Short Chain Fatty Acids — and those acids are the real medicine. It's probably more efficient to have your gut flora make the candida-fighting acids than to eat the acids.

For most people, adding some dietary acids to your stomach tends to be helpful, but I would focus on gut fermentation for promoting the best acids in the right locations.

Last edited:

Gestalt

Gemma said:
There are antagonistic quorum sensing molecules in candida influencing its growth and the switch into fungal/ yeast form, or growth of biofilms: farnesol, or phenylethyl alcohol x tyrosol. (possibly some others, of course).

Quorum sensing in the dimorphic fungus Candida albicans is mediated by farnesol.
The inoculum size effect in the dimorphic fungus Candida albicans results from production of an extracellular quorum-sensing molecule (QSM). This molecule prevents mycelial development in both a growth morphology assay and a differentiation assay using three chemically distinct triggers for germ tube formation (GTF): L-proline, N-acetylglucosamine, and serum (either pig or fetal bovine). In all cases, the presence of QSM prevents the yeast-to-mycelium conversion, resulting in actively budding yeasts without influencing cellular growth rates.

The metabolic response of Candida albicans to farnesol under hyphae-inducing conditions.
Farnesol is a quorum-sensing molecule (QSM) produced, and sensed, by the polymorphic fungus, Candida albicans. This cell-to-cell communication molecule is known tosuppress the hyphal formation of C. albicans at high cell density.

Metabolic response of Candida albicans to phenylethyl alcohol under hyphae-inducing conditions
Phenylethyl alcohol was one of the first quorum sensing molecules(QSMs) identified in C. albicans. This extracellular signalling moleculeinhibits the hyphal formationof C. albicans at high cell density.

Tyrosol is a quorum-sensing molecule in Candida albicans
The human fungal pathogen Candida albicans shows a significant lag in growth when diluted into fresh minimal medium. This lag is abolished by the addition of conditioned medium from a high-density culture. The active component of conditioned medium is tyrosol, which is released into the medium continuously during growth. Under conditions permissive for germ-tube formation, tyrosol stimulates the formation of these filamentous protrusions. Because germ-tube formation is inhibited by farnesol, another quorum-sensing molecule, this process must be under complex positive and negative control by environmental conditions. The identification of tyrosol as an autoregulatory molecule has important implications on the dynamics of growth and morphogenesis in Candida.

Production of tyrosol by Candida albicans biofilms and its role in quorum sensing and biofilm development.
Tyrosol and farnesol are quorum-sensing molecules produced by Candida albicans which accelerate and block, respectively, the morphological transition from yeasts to hyphae.

The addition of exogenous farnesol to a wild-type strain inhibited biofilm formation by up to 33% after 48 h. Exogenous tyrosol appeared to have no effect, but scanning electron microscopy revealed that tyrosol stimulated hypha production during the early stages (1 to 6 h) of biofilm development. Experiments involving the simultaneous addition of tyrosol and farnesol at different concentrations suggested that the action of farnesol was dominant, and 48-h biofilms formed in the presence of both compounds consisted almost entirely of yeast cells.

Where do we find farnesol?

Where do we find phenethyl alcohol?

And where do we find the antagonistic tyrosol?

So trying to figure out what is the best supplement source for farnesol and phenethyl alcohol are. Ideas anyone?