• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Burning GI, Rapid Weight Loss, Usually After B12 Supplementation

I've got several health issues, but one of the most debilitating is states during which I experience 5/10 GI burning, burning throughout arms, hands, face, etc. and rapidly lose weight.

These episodes seem to come up naturally, often after periods of stress or little sleep but are guaranteed to pop up after supplementing with any form of B12.

Skipping a meal helps, but I can only do that so many times. Constipation is an issue as well, though with ample amounts of magnesium citrate I can usually keep things moving along.

The most recent episode, I went from an AM weight of 142 on day one to an AM weight of 137 on day 2, with a decrease in body fat from 6% to 4.5%. I regard the body fat only to be a relative measurement, and not necessarily accurate given it's just my cheapo home scales.

Started taking anti-histamines for the past few weeks which helped, but then they stopped. Was also diagnosed with manganese toxicity ~1yr ago, and that was considered a likely culprit.

If these states persist, I develop mouth sores. They used to only happen every couple of months but recently seem to happen every 2-3 weeks. Definitely causes difficulty in sleeping but, with the help of some melatonin, I've been able to sleep decently during these past few.

I would love to hear any thoughts of similar experiences and what might have helped/hurt.

Thanks

Lalia

I've got several health issues, but one of the most debilitating is states during which I experience 5/10 GI burning, burning throughout arms, hands, face, etc. and rapidly lose weight.

These episodes seem to come up naturally, often after periods of stress or little sleep but are guaranteed to pop up after supplementing with any form of B12.

Skipping a meal helps, but I can only do that so many times. Constipation is an issue as well, though with ample amounts of magnesium citrate I can usually keep things moving along.

The most recent episode, I went from an AM weight of 142 on day one to an AM weight of 137 on day 2, with a decrease in body fat from 6% to 4.5%. I regard the body fat only to be a relative measurement, and not necessarily accurate given it's just my cheapo home scales.

Started taking anti-histamines for the past few weeks which helped, but then they stopped. Was also diagnosed with manganese toxicity ~1yr ago, and that was considered a likely culprit.

If these states persist, I develop mouth sores. They used to only happen every couple of months but recently seem to happen every 2-3 weeks. Definitely causes difficulty in sleeping but, with the help of some melatonin, I've been able to sleep decently during these past few.

I would love to hear any thoughts of similar experiences and what might have helped/hurt.

Thanks

hi @johnymous, sorry to hear this is happening to you. I used to have similar reactions when I was mercury/ arsenic toxic. So it sounds like you’re on the right track relating it back to the manganese toxicity.
This rarely happens to me these days and I never found a way to avoid it. It used to happen frequently when I tried new supplements. It still happens if I overexert or get dehydrated. I also have mould toxicity and am still treating this. My understanding is that my body would shift into a catabolic state, whenever I added to my toxic burden. Either by adding a new supplement for my liver to process, or by adding stress in the form of heat or overexertion.
could there be some underlying toxicity that you haven’t dealt with yet? I hope this resolves for you soon.