• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bhupesh Prusty: "we are on a perfect path for identifying potential transferable factors in ME/CFS blood that can cause mito dysfunction..." GoFundMe

msf

Published online 2020 May 23
Testosterone enhances mitochondrial complex V function in the substantia nigra of aged male rats
Tianyun Zhang,

Abstract

Deficits in coordinated motor behavior and mitochondrial complex V activity have been observed in aged males. Testosterone supplementation can improve coordinated motor behavior in aged males.

We investigated the effects of testosterone supplementation on mitochondrial complex V function in the substantia nigra (a brain region that regulates motor activity) in aged male rats.

These rats exhibited diminished ATP levels, attenuated mitochondrial complex V activity, and reduced expression of 3 of the 17 mitochondrial complex V subunits (ATP6, ATP8 and ATP5C1) in the substantia nigra.

Testosterone supplementation increased ATP levels, mitochondrial complex V activity, and ATP6, ATP8 and ATP5C1 expression in the substantia nigra of the rats.

Conversely, orchiectomy reduced mitochondrial complex V activity, downregulated ATP6 and ATP8 expression, and upregulated ATP5C1, ATP5I and ATP5L expression in the substantia nigra.

Testosterone replacement reversed those effects.

Thus, testosterone enhanced mitochondrial complex V function in the substantia nigra of aged male rats by upregulating ATP6 and ATP8.

As potential testosterone targets, these two subunits may to some degree maintain nigrostriatal dopaminergic function in aged males.

As noted in the thread I started about taking Chinese skullcap, baicalin also restores complex V activity.

Last edited:

raghav

Did anybody watch yesterday's presentation ? I fell asleep when Berrquist was half way through his. Any salient points that Prusty talked about. They will upload the recordings but may take a few days hopefully soon.

I watched all of Prusty's talk. From what I remember, he had narrowed down the signaling factor, that causes excess mitochondrial fragmentation in serum, to 3 different molecules: autoantibodies, serum complement (C1q), and exosomes containing mRNA and viral proteins. He's especially looking at C1q, which he found to be impaired in a group of ME/CFS patients.

He said that he's doing a joint collaboration with Naviaux, and that he's also looking at Covid-19. He basically reaffirmed what he's posted on twitter. From his preliminary data, Covid-19 causes viral reactivation in the brain and possibly elsewhere. This might contribute to the symptoms found in LongCovid.

Last edited:

Pyrrhus

I watched all of Prusty's talk. From what I remember, he had narrowed down the signaling factor, that causes excess mitochondrial fragmentation in serum, to 3 different molecules: autoantibodies, serum complement (C1q), and exosomes containing mRNA and viral proteins.

Very interesting to hear viral exosomes mentioned as a possible "signalling factor".

For anyone else interested in viral exosomes, there is a thread with some basic publications:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/viral-exosomes-known-as-stealth-spheres.75937/

raghav

1600651808483.png

raghav

If only OMF will fund Prusty, he will find a solution for the problem. At least the mito fragmentation and its immediate cause can be removed thereby giving us freedom from fatigue. @sebaaa You watched the full presentation right ? You said Prusty has narrowed down the factors in the serum to 3 One is the antibody to C1q, exosomes containing mRNA and viral proteins.

I dont know why Fatigatio ev is not yet uploading the recordings to their youtube channel. They are making it available through USB stick for 5 euros. Why do so ? They are not profit minded. Then why not just clip the videos and post them.

maybe some day

If only OMF will fund Prusty, he will find a solution for the problem. At least the mito fragmentation and its immediate cause can be removed thereby giving us freedom from fatigue. @sebaaa You watched the full presentation right ? You said Prusty has narrowed down the factors in the serum to 3 One is the antibody to C1q, exosomes containing mRNA and viral proteins.

I dont know why Fatigatio ev is not yet uploading the recordings to their youtube channel. They are making it available through USB stick for 5 euros. Why do so ? They are not profit minded. Then why not just clip the videos and post them.
OMF and Prusty are collaborating now from my understanding