• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bhupesh Prusty: "we are on a perfect path for identifying potential transferable factors in ME/CFS blood that can cause mito dysfunction..." GoFundMe

wigglethemouse

This is a study done by Jose Montoya. Who is a big advocate of viral reactivations being behind ME/CFS.

Note that he uses elevated IgG antibody titers against HHV-6 and EBV as criteria for the study and treatment. However, in the next to the last paragraph, he says
"Viral IgG antibody titers did not differ between arms" after treatment.

To me this says the valganciclovir did not treat the viruses/high antibody titers. So it must have worked in some other way. It doesn't make sense to me that he would use high antibody titers for establishing the cause of these patients ME/CFS and criteria for treatment.
I think the antibody titer assumptions came from this small earlier 2006 paper by Montoya but I think it didn't hold up in larger numbers or in the clinic.
Use of Valganciclovir in Patients With Elevated Antibody Titers Against Human Herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6) and Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Who Were Experiencing Central Nervous System Dysfunction Including Long-Standing Fatigue
Pubmed : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17276366/
Sci-hub : https://sci-hub.se/https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1386653206700099?via=ihub

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I wonder if the problem with the dual infections is that EBV produces nagalase which if excessive will inhibit macrophages from producing antibodies. If one then gets infected by another apoptosis surpressing virus like HSV6 that virus will spread more because of the delay in producing antibodies. When tested I had a nagalase blood test that was 3x normal. I treated with sublingual Goelic GcMAF and that brought it back down to normal which resolved my chronic problem with root canals re-infecting but triggered systemic lupus erythematosis due to excessive antibody production.

Prustys next presentation will be on 19.9 at the fatigatio conferenz in Germany. Link

Dr. rer nat. Bhupesh K. Prusty, Institut für Virologie und Immunbiologie, Biozentrum der Julius-Maximilan Universität Würzburg
„Hypervigilant immune system associated with hypometabolic mitochondria are key players in ME/CFS“ (Vortrag in Simultanübersetzung)

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]There’s s gonna be a free livestream. Other speakers also look interesting.[/FONT]

Rufous McKinney

Dr. Prusty is launching major new tests!

We need: Thousands of Finger's Crossed- the Best of Luck and More-

Bhupesh K Prusty

@BhupeshPrusty

·
3h (ago)

"Good news for COVID-19 Long Haulers and CFS patients: after a long wait and extensive preparations, today we started our first set of experiments to see if COVID-19 has a direct effect on mitochondria and if HHV-6 is a potential mediator in this process. Fingers crossed."

Lisa108

I know that this thread is about Dr. Prusty, but I'll just add for anyone interested that according to the program there will be two talks in English:

15:10 - 15:55 (3:10 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.): Prof. Dr. Jonas Bergquist
"Biomolecular aspects of ME"

16:00 - 16:45 (4:00 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.): Dr. Bhupesh Prusty
"Hypervigilant immune system associated with hypometabolic mitochondria are key players in ME/CFS“

Time zone for Germany is CEST (UTC + 2)
Time zone converter: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html (you can insert Berlin, Germany as a starting point).

Last edited:

pattismith

interesting 2007 study in Parkinson Disease
"A significant reduction of prohibitin and ATP synthase was observed in the substantia nigra in PD cases.

In contrast, increased prohibitin and ATP synthase levels were found in the frontal cortex in PD, and increased prohibitin but not ATP synthase in the frontal cortex in pDLB.
Superoxide dismutase 2 (SOD2) expression levels were also increased in the frontal cortex in PD and pDLB.
No modifications in prohibitin and ATP synthase levels were found in the frontal cortex in sporadic AD.
These findings demonstrate disease-specific modifications in the expression of mitochondrial-related proteins in the frontal cortex at stages of PD in which there is no alpha-synuclein aggregation in the form of Lewy bodies and Lewy neurites in this area. "

Interestingly a vey new study on MS patients made a link between Substantia Nigra affection and MS fatigue

pattismith

Published online 2020 May 23
Testosterone enhances mitochondrial complex V function in the substantia nigra of aged male rats
Tianyun Zhang,

Abstract

Deficits in coordinated motor behavior and mitochondrial complex V activity have been observed in aged males. Testosterone supplementation can improve coordinated motor behavior in aged males.

We investigated the effects of testosterone supplementation on mitochondrial complex V function in the substantia nigra (a brain region that regulates motor activity) in aged male rats.

These rats exhibited diminished ATP levels, attenuated mitochondrial complex V activity, and reduced expression of 3 of the 17 mitochondrial complex V subunits (ATP6, ATP8 and ATP5C1) in the substantia nigra.

Testosterone supplementation increased ATP levels, mitochondrial complex V activity, and ATP6, ATP8 and ATP5C1 expression in the substantia nigra of the rats.

Conversely, orchiectomy reduced mitochondrial complex V activity, downregulated ATP6 and ATP8 expression, and upregulated ATP5C1, ATP5I and ATP5L expression in the substantia nigra.

Testosterone replacement reversed those effects.

Thus, testosterone enhanced mitochondrial complex V function in the substantia nigra of aged male rats by upregulating ATP6 and ATP8.

As potential testosterone targets, these two subunits may to some degree maintain nigrostriatal dopaminergic function in aged males.

godlovesatrier

I wonder if that's why the T boosters primarily ginseng make me feel so much better, even if I can't tolerate ginseng anymore, well maybe I could if I learnt to not push the envelope. But when T is raised a lot that can be tricky. Interesting study though.