• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 for probably non-ME/CFS symptoms

ahmo

@whodathunkit thanks for that info re LCF. I'd been on 500mg for a year, then 750mg past month. I'll see if > makes any difference. My mental/emotional health is probably better than any time in my life. Physical endurance lags behind. But even if this is as good as it gets, I'm so grateful to not be where I was pre-Freddd's Protocol.:angel:

garyfritz

We must respond differently to LCF based on our SNPs. The LCF I tried (Doctor's Best) is 855mg. I tried that and felt nothing from it, either "too much" or "this is great."

You guys are kind of scaring me, though. I'm fighting some very annoying / sometimes nasty physical issues, but (so far at least) no emotional issues or inability-to-deal problems. I hope the fact that I started supplementing with B12 &etc fairly soon after the symptoms got bad will mean I can avoid going down that road...

whodathunkit

@garyfritz, look at the label of your Doctor's Best. That 855mg of stuff nets you 500mg of actual LCF. I can't remember how it's broken down now but that's the bottom line. I, too, use Doctor's Best.

If you'll re-read my posts, you'll see that LCF has imbued me with an ability to deal, not an inability. Not really sure what you mean there. The whole point of my post was that despite life stresses that normally would have put me in the tank emotionally, I'm dealing with them fairly well. I credit LCF with a lot of that resiliency.

I can't emphasize enough the fact that this journey we're on isn't a straight upward trajectory to health. Just have to roll with it.

garyfritz

You're right @whodathunkit, I didn't notice the 500mg payload. (855mg of L-carnitine fumarate yields 500mg of L-carnitine. Which is apparently the desired nutrient?)

I wasn't referring directly to your experience with LCF. I've seen several people say the CFS hits them in many ways, including emotional / mental / etc. I feel fortunate that (so far anyway) I only have physical issues to deal with, and hopefully I'm starting to get on top of that. With early treatment maybe I can avoid the other problems.

whodathunkit

What Freddd says, and I concur after what I've been through, is that healing with these supplements, which essentially kick-start your metabolism and help it to function more like a younger person's, takes you backwards in some respects. That is, you have to move from your state of dis-ease back through all those varying levels of health until you're actually healthy again. Which can mean traveling back up through some of the emotional B.S. you went through on your way down.

Some people who are naturally more even-keeled might not have any problems with the emotional stuff. But I am naturally fairly volatile, so I'm not surprised I've had a few episodes that replicated what things were like when I was actively on my way down.

What I *am* surprised at is the level of equanimity these supplements have imparted to me. I don't recall being this calm inside my head, ever. When I was younger I was good at covering up the volcano within so that nobody but me knew the big crazy was there. Or at least, the big crazy only escaped ever so infrequently. Now the volcano is at the lowest simmer ever. And the crazy seems in large measure to have gone away. Rather than my constant companion, it's just an occasional visitor. Much easier to hide.

Bwuhahahaha. :devil:;)

garyfritz

A bit of closure on this thread: I initially posted because I'd found I had a voracious need for B12, and I hoped to find the cause. Well after several years of searching, I finally found it.

I'm now certain my B12 hunger was driven by mercury toxicity. In late 2016 I started the "Core Four" nutrients (C, E, magnesium, zinc) recommended for the Andrew Cutler chelation regimen. The Core Four is designed to be protective against mercury oxidation and to help repair some damage. Instantly, literally overnight, my B12 needs dropped in half. Several other things happened that also suggested mercury as the cause. That gave me the incentive to launch a fairly expensive round of dental work.

In 2017 I gradually got all my amalgam fillings removed. My symptoms and my B12 needs gradually decreased as the mercury came out. By the time the last amalgam was gone, I had almost no symptoms and almost no need for B12. That continued to improve, and as of today I haven't used any supplemental B12 for about 3 months. That is a dramatic improvement from 2 years ago, when I had to take 5-7mg per day or suffer every day and night! (That's 5-7mg/day of transdermal oil, which is supposed to be 80% absorbed. I used to take 25-30mg/day of sublinguals and it didn't work as well as the oil.)

When I started the Cutler chelation process, some of my symptoms returned, and B12 didn't help much. I've just discovered that milk thistle (which supports the liver) helps a lot. Apparently the chelation stirs up the mercury stored in my body, and my liver suffers the brunt of disposing of it. The symptoms were nearly identical to some of my original B12 symptoms, so it may be that liver distress was a problem all along.

I hope this helps someone else in a similar situation...

Last edited:

Kathevans

Thank you, Gary. Your journey has helped many of us and given me, in particular, hope.

I’ll have my last quadrant of crowns, two of them almost certainly with mercury beneath them, removed next week. Then the journey will begin. I can’t say I’ve noticed any lessening of symptoms as the first three quadrants have been done over the last year. Nor did I notice any lessening with the core four...though I’ve been on magnesium and E and some C for years, so it may already be baked into what health I do have.

Amazingly (disturbingly?) high levels of the Transdermal B-12s (3-4 squirts/day) has not raised my B12 levels on the NutrEval test, which still shows a ‘high need’. Dr. Greg, of course says it’s because the B2 isn’t working. Still! And that does show as a ‘YES’ on the NutrEval. So back to raising selenium, molybdenum and iodine to see if I can get that kick-started. No doubt mercury is gobbling up those things...

Onward!

liverock

@garyfritz, so glad to hear that you finally have made a full recovery from the restless legs/B12/mercury journey which seems to have been going on for so long.
Also glad to know that my suggestion that you investigate mercury as your main problem was helpful.:thumbsup:

On the Dr Amy Yasko diagram I posted it showed lead as well as mercury at the MTR/MTRR junction. I don't know whether the Cutler protocol is good for chelating lead as well as mercury, but if your back 100% then it probably doesn't matter in your case.

3-e13234036a.jpg

garyfritz

Thanks for your kind words, Kath!

@liverock, I don't consider myself "done" yet. I saw great improvements from removing amalgams, but I'm just getting started with chelation. I'm really hoping for some additional gains from cleaning out my brain &etc.

Also, regarding lead, my hair test shows extremely high levels. Cutler chelation (primarily DMSA) removes lead, but very slowly. I probably won't see any significant improvements from that for at least a year or more.

Last edited: