• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any benefit from Nitrous Oxide?

ebethc

Just in the same way that any anti-inflammatory can be immunosuppressive.

Inflammation is simply activation of the immune system. If you suppress inflammation, you are effectively suppressing the immune system.

I've def had rebound pain, which is similar to what you're saying.... Anything that helps my pain just pisses it off even more, so it comes roaring back the next day, or whenever the drug wears off..

I've had better luck w natural solutions, e.g., CLO and vitamin C and Wobenzym... but I'm still wary of doing damage, regardless of whether something is OTC or Rx

EDIT: andrographis is another anti-inflammatory supplement that I've had good luck w that doesn't cause rebound pain...

not pushing OTC solutions over Rx... believe me, I would take whatever works! but my experience has been that the OTC stuff is better re no unwanted side effects... One Rx that i like is Montelukast (brand name Singlulair) which is a leukotriene inhibitor... Mild-Moderate anti-inflammatory... leukotrines are released from mast cells, which are problematic for a lot of CFS'ers... surprised that more ppl on PR don't mention it..

...Of course, I am only referring to very large doses of vitamin A or vitamin E over a long period of time. Lower doses or shorter periods of supplementation shouldn't be significantly immunosuppressive.

What do you consider "very large doses" or a "long period of time"?

this is my reference: the safe upper limit for Vitamin A is 700 mcg (and I don't ever exceed that limit).
3000 mcg is considered toxic

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK222318/#:~:text=The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA,day of preformed vitamin A.

Last edited:

Pyrrhus

What do you consider "very large doses" or a "long period of time"?

this is my reference: the safe upper limit for Vitamin A is 700 mcg (and I don't ever exceed that limit).

Oh, that sounds perfectly fine. The Linus Pauling Institute has this to say:
Linus Pauling Institute said:
Generally, signs of [vitamin A] toxicity are associated with long-term consumption of vitamin A in excess of 10 times the RDA (8,000-10,000 μg RAE/day or 25,000-33,000 IU/day). However, more research is necessary to determine if subclinical vitamin A toxicity is a concern in certain populations (89).
(from https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-A )

Swim15

Just to update, I did another hit yesterday that was some rough estimate of 50/50 nitrous and pure O2 since I’ve got the luxury of having an oxygen tank for an ozone generator.

I also added vinpocetine and ginkgo yesterday.

Not sure which thing did it but I feel better today than I’ve felt in 2 years. Going to keep it up and keep playing with stuff. Have a cracker and chargers coming along with a full tank buy set up for a couple weeks away.

Also ordered some ibudilast and resveratrol yesterday. Going to make the resveratrol into an injection with PEG400 and see if that helps with systemic blood flow.

Swim15

Had a couple interesting things I wanted to update.

I live in one of the worst cities in the country for seasonal allergies and mine have been atrocious since I’ve been living here which is a while. I typically get a bad upper respiratory infection type symptoms every fall and spring in the same 2 week window give or take.

Interestingly enough, I haven’t had one of those or really gotten sick since the CFS started.

Then, 7 days ago I started the nitrous and yesterday, 6 days since the NO2 start, I came down with the same type of upper respiratory symptoms. It has a very unique feel and progression so I’m fairly certain it’s nothing else.

Luckily I started a ton of ozone yesterday and killed my fever off in a matter of 8 hours. Still crappy today but not as bad.

The other things I noticed since starting the NO2 is significantly clearer skin that just looks ‘better’ like the glow in my face is back and my girlfriend commented on it too. My bowel movements have also improved dramatically and all of this happen within the last week.

Not sure what exactly is happening but I feel this is an incredible good path to explore so I’m going to continue doing some hard digging.

Hip

@Swim15, are the benefits of nitrous oxide still holding out for you?

I couple of days ago, I tried inhaling some nitrous oxide from a balloon filled with N2O from a whipped cream charger cylinder holding about 4 liters of N2O. I held the N2O in my lungs for at least 30 seconds, blew it out into the balloon, and repeated inhaling and holding in my lungs several times.

But unfortunately I did not notice any effects while breathing it, nor any effects over the following two days (except perhaps for some random thoughts and old memories coming into my head the next day). My mood has remained unchanged.

Swim15

I couple of days ago, I tried inhaling some nitrous oxide from a balloon filled with N2O from a whipped cream charger cylinder holding about 4 liters of N2O. I held the N2O in my lungs for at least 30 seconds, blew it out into the balloon, and repeated inhaling and holding in my lungs several times.

But unfortunately I did not notice any effects while breathing it, nor any effects over the following two days (except perhaps for some random thoughts and old memories coming into my head the next day). My mood has remained unchanged.

Unfortunately the effects waned for me - as just about every other thing I’ve tried - and doesn’t seem to be effective any longer.

Another hope, another let down sadly

Unfortunately the effects waned for me - as just about every other thing I’ve tried - and doesn’t seem to be effective any longer.

Another hope, another let down sadly

Something to consider:
Several months ago, I was powering through many medical presentation videos and I distinctly remember one doctor stating that N2O will completely wipe out vitamin B12 stores, BUT it takes about 6 weeks to happen after the use. He stated this is very important for people to know who have dental work, day surgery, anytime nitrous is used. I've watched dozens, if not hundreds of medical lectures so I don't have a link. Sorry.

Also, I completely understand the let down. I've had decades of them. But lately, I've been using all responses as clues. There is a reason it worked, and a reason it stopped. Keep notes of symptoms it helped, and didn't help. Approaching my meds and supplements this way has moved me forward faster than before. Hang in there!

Hip

N2O will completely wipe out vitamin B12 stores, BUT it takes about 6 weeks to happen after the use.

I'd like to see a reference for that; N2O leaves the body quickly (5 minute half-life), so I can't see what mechanism might cause delayed action. Perhaps the doctor meant that it takes repeated use over many weeks to deplete B12 to the point where clinical issues appear, as this is what I have read.

I'd like to see a reference for that; .
Yeah, sorry I don't even know which presentation it was. I watch so many. It stood out to me because both my daughter and I had had day surgery (and my dad was a dentist). I made a mental note. But I'm sure he didn't state "repeated use" because that wouldn't have been a concern in my situation and I remember thinking how many people would be vulnerable from a dental visit here and there and never know.
Doesn't mean he wasn't wrong, but it was his area of study.

Swim15

Yeah nitrous will deplete B12 but we’re talking HEAVY use. Like going through 10lb tanks a week.

For reference, I’ve been using my 10lb for several weeks now and fairly liberally sometimes. Luckily B12 is easy to supplement

frozenborderline

That is bizarre. You would expect at least acute effects even if it didn't have lasting effects on your me/cfs

frozenborderline

Hi all. Wondering ifnnitrous oxide would be especially bad in me/Cfs patients for any reason. I know it depletes b12 and some of us already have neuropathy. But I imagine that is quite dose dependent. I'm actually unsure. How much ofnthis can be preempted with supplements as well.

The reason I am interested now is that due to bladder issues I may have to stop using my staple pain med, ketamine, which is in same class of drugs. And xenon, which is better than nitrous for health, is insanely expensive , so I can only use it once in awhile. And I am not st s pain clinic that prescribes regular opioid medications. So nitrous Is looking like the best bet right now. What brands did those who had success try. Is there any concern about contaminant or is food grade good enough.

Hip

The reason I am interested now is that due to bladder issues I may have to stop using my staple pain med, ketamine, which is in same class of drugs.

I wonder how long nitrous oxide pain relief lasts. This paper suggests it may be useful for chronic pain.

I would think any nitrous oxide whipped cream cartridges should be fine; these will be food grade.

frozenborderline

What brands did you all use ? I'm going to keep trying xenon but I hope I can supplement with nitrous as it's cheaper. Do the b12 issues only show up at high/frequent doses