• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antivirals Effective Against Coronavirus?

Wayne

Yes it is, and the American Red Cross (who are involved in blood donation) also say there is no evidence it can be transmitted by blood.

So, let's see if I have this correct. They're now observing COVID-19 appears to be as much a vascular disease as it is a respiratory disease. But we're apparently being told not to worry, even though blood travels through the entire vascular system? Because "there's no evidence it can be transmitted by blood"? Good grief. o_O

I've long thought many diseases are unknowingly transmitted through blood transfusions, and I've run across testimonials of people with ME/CFS getting it after a blood transfusion. I've also read it's long been known that ozone kills pathogens in donated blood, while leaving the health of the blood unaffected.

An author (Ed McCabe) who wrote a book on oxygenation therapies has long advocated for universal ozonation of donated blood to prevent these kinds of infections. Seems during this time of the the coronavirus would be a good time to start implementing such a strategy.

andyguitar

So, let's see if I have this correct. They're now observing COVID-19 appears to be as much a vascular disease as it is a respiratory disease. But we're apparently being told not to worry, even though blood travels through the entire vascular system? Because "there's no evidence it can be transmitted by blood"? Good grief.
Yep. Out of all the stupid things in this pandemic I give "No evidence it can be transmitted by blood" 11 out of 10.

Wayne

I sent the following link to a friend yesterday:

New Coronavirus Losing Potency, Top Italian Doctor Says

ROME (Reuters) - "The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday.
“In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy,” said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy’s coronavirus contagion.
“The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago,” he told RAI TV."

This was my friend's reply:

Subject: Re: New Coronavirus Losing Potency, Top Italian Doctor Says

The Brits are saying the virus is disappearing, making it hard to test their vaccines.

andyguitar

The Brits are saying the virus is disappearing, making it hard to test their vaccines.
What they mean is that because those who have been vaccinated cannot be infected deliberatly to see if the vaccine works, the researchers rely on the sbjects being infected via community transmission. So if the level of community transmission goes down (which it is) there is much less chance of subjects being infected. I hope this explaination make sense!

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant

This article on the Washington Post has a discussion about those claims.

Zangrillo’s clinical observations are more likely a reflection of the fact that with the peak of the outbreak long past, there is less virus in circulation, and people may be less likely to be exposed to high doses of it. In addition, only severely sick people were likely to be tested early on, compared with the situation now when even those with mild symptoms are more likely to get swabbed, experts said.

Vaughn Cooper, an infectious-disease expert at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, said the new coronavirus mutates slowly compared with influenza and other microbes, and its genetic changes appear to be “mostly inconsequential.”

“I believe it’s safe to say that the differences that doctors are reporting in Italy are entirely due to changes to medical treatment and in human behavior, which limit transmission and numbers of new infections initiated by large inocula — a larger dose of virus appears to be worse — rather than changes in the virus itself,” he said.

All viruses evolve over time, and many infectious-disease experts think the novel coronavirus will eventually become less lethal to human beings, joining four other coronaviruses in causing common colds. But there is no solid evidence so far that it has changed significantly in the five months since it was first recognized among patients in Wuhan, China.

“The virus hasn’t lost function on the time scale of two months,” said Andrew Noymer, an epidemiologist at the University of California at Irvine. “Loss of function is something I expect over a time scale of years.”

YippeeKi YOW !!

Wow thats concerning!
Yes it is, and the American Red Cross (who are involved in blood donation) also say there is no evidence it can be transmitted by blood.
A disease that negatively affects and shreds blood vessels but has no transmission via blood itself is just too much fairy dust for me ....

Wayne

I sent the following link to a friend yesterday:

Just got this in a Washington Post email "Coronavirus Update":

The latest

A report from a top Italian doctor seemed to suggest that the virus was somehow “losing potency” and becoming less lethal, but health experts around the world are warning that the changes that nation is seeing don't have anything to do with the virus itself.
The observations — that patients had only very small amounts of the virus in their nasal swab tests — is likely because the virus has passed its peak in Italy, there's less of it in circulation and people aren't very likely to be exposed to high amounts. Also, people who have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all are being tested now, whereas early in the outbreak, only the severely ill were able to be tested.​

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Governments and WHO changed Covid-19 policy based on suspect data from tiny US company

"Surgisphere, whose employees appear to include a sci-fi writer and adult content model, provided database behind Lancet and New England Journal of Medicine hydroxychloroquine studies."

The World Health Organization and a number of national governments have changed their Covid-19 policies and treatments on the basis of flawed data from a little-known US healthcare analytics company, also calling into question the integrity of key studies published in some of the world’s most prestigious medical journals.

A Guardian investigation can reveal the US-based company Surgisphere, whose handful of employees appear to include a science fiction writer and an adult-content model, has provided data for multiple studies on Covid-19 co-authored by its chief executive, but has so far failed to adequately explain its data or methodology.

Data it claims to have legitimately obtained from more than a thousand hospitals worldwide formed the basis of scientific articles that have led to changes in Covid-19 treatment policies in Latin American countries. It was also behind a decision by the WHO and research institutes around the world to halt trials of the controversial drug hydroxychloroquine.

Two of the world’s leading medical journals – the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine – published studies based on Surgisphere data. The studies were co-authored by the firm’s chief executive, Sapan Desai.

Late on Tuesday, after being approached by the Guardian, the Lancet released an “expression of concern” about its published study. The New England Journal of Medicine has also issued a similar notice.

An independent audit of the provenance and validity of the data has now been commissioned by the authors not affiliated with Surgisphere because of “concerns that have been raised about the reliability of the database”.

Dr James Todaro, who runs MedicineUncensored, a website that publishes the results of hydroxychloroquine studies, said: “Surgisphere came out of nowhere to conduct perhaps the most influential global study in this pandemic in the matter of a few weeks.

“It doesn’t make sense,” he said. “It would require many more researchers than it claims to have for this expedient and [size] of multinational study to be possible.”

Peter Ellis, the chief data scientist of Nous Group, an international management consultancy that does data integration projects for government departments, expressed concern that Surgisphere database was “almost certainly a scam”.

andyguitar

Coronavirus May Be a Blood Vessel Disease, Which Explains Everything
The authors of the research this story comes from seem genuine. If anyone looks at the link to the research published in the Lancet mind you dont puke. It's gross. But it does provide a fairly compelling explaination as to what covid 19 probably is. BUT WHERE DID IT COME FROM?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I have Astragalus, Reishi and Cordyceps extracts all on hand but don't want to use them for fear of increasing IL-6 or TNF-a. I don't know if Yin Chiao increases these cytokines but it might be worth looking into before anyone takes it or any supplement.

I know this is an older post but wondered if someone pointed you to self-hacked on this. If he knows his stuff then you were correct about Astragalus and Reishi increasing IL-6: https://selfhack.com/blog/interleukin-6/
though his web page on this topic is a bit confusing on its organization. He puts Ways to inhibit it, then Ways to increase it, followed again by more info on How to inhibit it.

If you've done 23andme you can also go to the raw data and look to see if you fit a genotype (is that the correct word?) like I do on one SNP of possibly being an overproducer of IL-6. I talk about that in this post: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...cmafplus-com-in-hong-kong.79370/#post-2275989

Edit: Argghh. He actually has Astragalus on both the Inhibit and Increases lists. o_O

Last edited:

Gemini

In China at the moment they are testing to see whether the HIV drugs Kaletra, Prezcobix and remdesivir might have some effect against the Wuhan coronavirus. Ref: 1
@Hip Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC is developing COVID-19 treatment guidelines for clinicians, a document continuously under revision as new evidence comes in according to the presenter, Dr. Aberg.

Guidelines as of July 8, 2020. [See 52:42 on NIH Video https://videocast.nih.gov/watch=38095]

COVID-19 Potential Treatments Mt. Sinai Hospital NYC  July 8 2020.JPG

@Janet Dafoe

anne_likes_red

Zinc lozenges might be a good alternative, as they have also been shown to strongly reduce the duration of cold, especially if used in the form of zinc acetate in a slow-releasing lozenge. The reason why zinc acetate is superior compared other zinc compounds is that it releases ionic zinc. More about this can be read here.

I ordered zinc acetate lozenges in March and due to COVID related extra demand, as well as shipping options to NZ being limited, they only arrived late June! It's mid winter here and although COVID isn't active in the community, other cold viruses are now we're no longer in lockdown.
On our first weekend back into activities with no social restrictions my whole family caught a cold and I used zinc as soon as I felt a tickle in my throat. The teenagers suffered mildly - elevated temperature and nasal symptoms but only lasting 2 - 3 days. My husband was sick for a week and it went to his chest. I got off even more lighly than the teenagers. I'm not one of the PWME who never get colds and I often get extended chesty symptoms. I developed pneumonia in 2010 and since then I think my response to cold viruses has been more severe. It's unlikely I had exisiting immunity, at least from any recent exposure because I was pretty much locked away between March and June.
Anyway, I'm just posting this because experience suggests to me zinc acetate is effective. It might be useful to other PWME next winter..if not before. :)
Thanks to whoever suggested it here first. The initial global shortage was frustrating but production and supply seem back on track now.

pattismith

This is an ongoing study, no real result yet...

Repurposing of chlorpromazine in COVID-19 treatment: the reCoVery study
[Article in French]
M Plaze 1, D Attali 2, A-C Petit 3, M Blatzer 4, E Simon-Loriere 5, F Vinckier 6, A Cachia 7, F Chrétien 8, R Gaillard 9
Affiliations expand

Free PMC article
Abstract
in En , French

Objectives:

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic comprises a total of more than 2,350,000 cases and 160,000 deaths. The interest in anti-coronavirus drug development has been limited so far and effective methods to prevent or treat coronavirus infections in humans are still lacking. Urgent action is needed to fight this fatal coronavirus infection by reducing the number of infected people along with the infection contagiousness and severity.

Since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak several weeks ago, we observe in GHU PARIS Psychiatrie & Neurosciences (Sainte-Anne hospital, Paris, France) a lower prevalence of symptomatic and severe forms of COVID-19 infections in psychiatric patients (∼4%) compared to health care professionals (∼14%).

Similar observations have been noted in other psychiatric units in France and abroad.

Our hypothesis is that psychiatric patients could be protected from severe forms of COVID-19 by their psychotropic treatments.

Chlorpromazine (CPZ) is a phenothiazine derivative widely used in clinical routine in the treatment of acute and chronic psychoses.

This first antipsychotic medication has been discovered in 1952 by Jean Delay and Pierre Deniker at Sainte-Anne hospital.

In addition, to its antipsychotic effects, several in vitro studies have also demonstrated a CPZ antiviral activity via the inhibition of clathrin-mediated endocytosis.

Recently, independent studies revealed that CPZ is an anti-MERS-CoV and an anti-SARS-CoV-1 drug.

In comparison to other antiviral drugs, the main advantages of CPZ lie in its biodistribution: (i) preclinical and clinical studies have reported a high CPZ concentration in the lungs (20-200 times higher than in plasma), which is critical because of the respiratory tropism of SARS-CoV-2; (ii) CPZ is highly concentrated in saliva (30-100 times higher than in plasma) and could therefore reduce the contagiousness of COVID-19; (iii) CPZ can cross the blood-brain barrier and could therefore prevent the neurological forms of COVID-19.

Methods:

Our hypothesis is that CPZ could decrease the unfavorable evolution of COVID-19 infection in oxygen-requiring patients without the need for intensive care, but also reduce the contagiousness of SARS-CoV-2.

At this end, we designed a pilot, phase III, multicenter, single blind, randomized controlled clinical trial.

Efficacy of CPZ will be assessed according to clinical, biological and radiological criteria. The main objective is to demonstrate a shorter time to response (TTR) to treatment in the CPZ+standard-of-care (CPZ+SOC) group, compared to the SOC group. Response to treatment is defined by a reduction of at least one level of severity on the WHO-Ordinal Scale for Clinical Improvement (WHO-OSCI).

The secondary objectives are to demonstrate in the CPZ+SOC group, compared to the SOC group: (A) superior clinical improvement; (B) a greater decrease in the biological markers of viral attack by SARS-CoV-2 (PCR, viral load); (C) a greater decrease in inflammatory markers (e.g. CRP and lymphopenia); (D) a greater decrease in parenchymal involvement (chest CT) on the seventh day post-randomization; (E) to define the optimal dosage of CPZ and its tolerance; (F) to evaluate the biological parameters of response to treatment, in particular the involvement of inflammatory cytokines.
Patient recruitment along with the main and secondary objectives are in line with WHO 2020 COVID-19 guidelines.

Conclusion:

This repositioning of CPZ as an anti-SARS-CoV-2 drug offers an alternative and rapid strategy to alleviate the virus propagation and the infection severity and lethality.
This CPZ repositioning strategy also avoids numerous developmental and experimental steps and can save precious time to rapidly establish an anti-COVID-19 therapy with well-known, limited and easy to manage side effects. Indeed, CPZ is an FDA-approved drug with an excellent tolerance profile, prescribed for around 70 years in psychiatry but also in clinical routine in nausea and vomiting of pregnancy, in advanced cancer and also to treat headaches in various neurological conditions.
The broad spectrum of CPZ treatment - including antipsychotic, anxiolytic, antiemetic, antiviral, immunomodulatory effects along with inhibition of clathrin-mediated endocytosis and modulation of blood-brain barrier - is in line with the historical French commercial name for CPZ, i.e. LARGACTIL, chosen as a reference to its "LARGe ACTion" properties.
The discovery of those CPZ properties, as for many other molecules in psychiatry, is both the result of serendipity and careful clinical observations. Using this approach, the field of mental illness could provide innovative therapeutic approaches to fight SARS-CoV-2.

Wayne

Budesonide

I did a quick search on Phoenix Rising, and discovered some pwME/CFS have had improvements using this drug.

Texas doctor claims he discovered effective and inexpensive solution for COVID-19 [Budesonide]

... Budesonide is typically inhaled via a nebulizer, a non-invasive medical device that transforms medication into vapor so it can be breathed in by the patient through a handheld nozzle or simple face mask. The drug is commonly used to treat asthma.​
Because it helps alleviate inflammation in the body, doctors also use budesonide for other reasons, including managing symptoms of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. But, according to Texas ER physician Dr. Richard Bartlett, budesonide is helping his COVID patients recover extremely quickly and without the side effects commonly seen with other heavier-duty steroid medications.​
In a July 2 interview on the news show American Can We Talk, Dr. Bartlett explains:​
“My silver bullet is inhaled [generic] budesonide. It’s super cheap … with insurance, many of my patients are not even having to pay for it.”​
Dr. Bartlett has had a 100% success rate with this promising COVID treatment, and notes that many of his patients have reported feeling significantly better after just one five minute nebulizer treatment. In his clinical practice setting, he’s been treating very ill patients since March.​
See for yourself by watching this wonderful interview with Dr. Bartlett – below: -- Video is 30 min.]​

pattismith

"Trials on nicotinamide for COVID-19

University of Copenhagen has sponsored a randomised double blind, case control , phase 2 trial on nicotinamide in elderly covid -19 patients ( >70yr) This, randomized double blinded case-control trial, the investigators will treat elderly (>70 year old) COVID19 patients with 1 g of nicotinamide riboside or placebo for 2 weeks and investigate if this affects the clinical course of the disease."

be careful, high dose nicotinamide riboside can have hepatic toxicity and need to be taken under supervision