• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antivirals Effective Against Coronavirus?

anne_likes_red

More on Povidone Iodine and Covid19.

In Vitro Efficacy of a Povidone-Iodine Nasal Antiseptic for Rapid Inactivation of SARS-CoV-2

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaotolaryngology/fullarticle/2770785

From the article:

Key Points
Question What is the minimum contact time of povidone-iodine (PVP-I) nasal antiseptic required for inactivation of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in vitro?

Findings In this controlled in vitro laboratory research study, test media infected with SARS-CoV-2 demonstrated complete inactivation of SARS-CoV-2 by concentrations of PVP-I nasal antiseptic as low as 0.5% after 15 seconds of contact, as measured by a log reduction value of greater than 3 log10 of the 50% cell culture infectious dose of the virus.

Meaning Intranasal PVP-I rapidly inactivates SARS-CoV-2 and may play an adjunctive role in mitigating viral transmission beyond personal protective equipment.

Hipsman

So, has anyone researched what is the current "state of the science" treatment protocols for mild and moderate COVID-19?

Medical system is currently over flooded with covid patients, so it may be better to start treatment yourself early on instead of waiting for diagnosis & prescriptions from Dr.

godlovesatrier

WHO said they were now looking at antibody based drugs (among others) as the other drugs don't work. Personally I trust the WHO more than any other body. I'm hoping some innovations can be made here which will reduce the costs of these drugs over the next 10 years so everyone can benefit. We have so few new drugs in the marketplace and in general medicinal use, we desperately need a pace of change in this area.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

So, has anyone researched what is the current "state of the science" treatment protocols for mild and moderate COVID-19?

Everyone's so busy handling severe Covid, I doubt anyone has researched treatment of milder cases.

The last I heard for severe cases, intubation was causing considerable harm and oxygen supplementation was preferable. Also, anti-coagulants were saving people.

I've been consuming Natto for it's anti-coagulant benefits and practicing breathing exercises to increase oxygenation. And sun, lots of sun and Vitamin D capsules.
Sixty seconds on....Vitamin D
There are now close to 30 or so studies demonstrating that having optimal blood levels of 25(OH)-vitamin D (75-150 nmol/L) reduces covid-19 risks: reduced risk of infection; reduced risk of severe disease; reduced risk of dying. Many researchers now regard the evidence as ‘overwhelming’.

Ohh, I've been experiencing Long Haul Covid for 7 months now. So, it's an ongoing battle.

JES

I'm still unsure if you get any COVID-19 specific treatments in most places in Europe if you enter a hospital. Anticoagulants and symptomatic treatment, sure, but I'm not aware of any disease modifying treatment. Remdesivir is approved, but availability and cost are issues. Then again you can't be surprised after following ME/CFS research over the last decade and knowing how little drugs we have against viruses that are effective. The entire field of virology seems like some niche part of medicine.

Hipsman

Everyone's so busy handling severe Covid, I doubt anyone has researched treatment of milder cases.
Treatment protocols (drugs) for severe Covid should also work for milder cases. If I remember correctly, Trump got remdesevir while he was mild to moderate, but only 1 dose instead of 5 doses that is used for severe Covid.

Also, does anyone know why Kaletra antiviral isn't used anymore to treat Covid? I can't find any info on that it showed to not be effective, everyone just forgot about it without explanation...

Last edited:

Hip

In terms of minimizing the severity of COVID, these may be effective:

Vitamin D looks like a good option if you catch coronavirus, and want to try to minimize the severity of symptoms, as some studies suggest low vitamin D levels increase the severity of COVID. Note that it takes around 7 days for vitamin D to transform into its active form, so if you are hit by COVID, it might be an idea to start taking vitamin D early.

Nicotinamide mononucleotide anecdotally might be useful: see this study: Dramatic Clinical Improvement in Nine Consecutive Acutely Ill Elderly COVID-19 Patients Treated with a Nicotinamide Mononucleotide Cocktail: A Case Series.

Blood thinners may be useful, as these appear to reduce the risk of death by up to 50% among seriously ill with COVID. Blood thinners will reduce the risk of blood clots. Supplements which have blood thinning effects include bromelain, rutin and allicin. And of course the drug aspirin is a blood thinner.

Aspirin use was associated with a 44% reduction in the risk of being put on a mechanical ventilator, a 43% decrease in the risk of ICU admission and -- most importantly -- a 47% decrease in the risk of dying in the hospital compared to those who were not taking aspirin. Ref: here.

uglevod

Liposomal Lactoferrin as Potential Preventative and Cure for COVID-19:
https://www.fulltxt.org/article/1060

A prospective observational study was performed in 75 patients with typical symptoms of COVID-19 who tested positive to IgM/IgG rapid test. Patients were isolated and treated at home using remote systems, reviewed twice a day for 10 days, and followed up to 1 month. A liposomal bovine lactoferrin (LLF) nutritional syrup food supplement (32 mg of LF/10 ml plus 12 mg of vitamin C) was administered orally in 4 to 6 doses per day for 10 days. In addition, a zinc solution was administered at the dose of 10 mg/10 ml twice or three times a day. A control group of 12 patients who took only LLF was included. All family members in contact with patients (256 persons) were also treated with half of this dose. The treatment allowed a complete and fast recovery in all patients (100%) within the first 4-5 days. Same treatment at lower dose prevented the disease in healthy persons directly related with the affected patients. Weakness (95%) followed by a dysfunction in the perception of smelling and tasting (88%), cough (83%), muscular pain (67%) were the most frequent complains. LF possess antiviral, immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory effects which might be important for the treatment of COVID-19 infection. We conclude that LLF potentially prevent and cure COVID 19 infection.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7271924/
In COVID-19 infection, Lactoferrin may have a role to play in not only sequestering iron and inflammatory molecules that are severely increased during the cytokine burst, but also possibly in assisting in occupying receptors and HSPGs to prevent virus binding. Receptor occupancy is an important characteristic of Lactoferrin, when taken as supplement. Furthermore, it may assist in preventing thrombocytopenia, and hypercoagulation, both prominent features of COVID-19 infection.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7271924/bin/fimmu-11-01221-g0006.jpg

Possible action of (1) lactoferrin by occupying binding sites of (2) SARS-CoV-2 that causes COVID-19. (3) Entry into host cells occur when SARS-CoV-2 first attaches to Heparan sulfate proteoglycans (HSPGs). This attachment initiates the first contact between the cell and the virus, concentrating the virus on the cell surface, (4) followed attaching of the virus to the host receptor (ACE2) and association and entering are then facilitated via clathrin-coated pits (5) Virus replication can then happen inside the cell. (6) One of the characteristics of Lactoferrin, is that it attaches to HSPGs. (7) Currently we do not know if ACE2 is also a receptor for lactoferrin. (8) Lactoferrin may block the entry of SARS-CoV-2 into the host cell, by occupying HPSGs, thereby preventing SARS-CoV-2 initial attachment and accumulation on the host cell membrane.

Pleiotropic effect of Lactoferrin in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 infection: in vivo, in silico and in vitro preliminary evidences
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.11.244996v1.full

YippeeKi YOW !!

@dave11

Those are stellar links, at least the ones I've read so far !!! Clear, concise, fairly easy reads, absolutely packed with practical as well as hypothetical but still practical information. Just terrific :woot::woot::woot: :thumbsup::thumbsup:
!!!

I've only read three at this point, but all three are heavy on the what, why, how much, and how long. Just excellent information !!!

I'm genuinely looking forward to working my way thru the wealth of info you've posted here, and thank you sooooo much ... you clearly have a good eye :hug::hug: !!!!