• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A nanoelectronics-blood-based diagnostic biomarker for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)

Countrygirl

The Mail has done a better job:
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6973391/A-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-blood-test-finally-prove-condition-exists-study-says.html

A chronic fatigue syndrome blood test can finally prove people really do suffer from the mystery disorder, study says
  • Some two million Americans suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome in the US
  • But the condition causes sometimes vague and variable systems which has cause some to doubt that it is 'real'
  • Scientists at Stanford University have created a blood test for the disorder that they proved 100 percent accurate in a small sample of patients
  • The senior author of the study's own son suffers from debilitating chronic fatigue syndrome that some have dismissed as psychosomatic
By NATALIE RAHHAL DEPUTY HEALTH EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/se...Rahhal+Deputy+Health+Editor+For+Dailymail.com

........... the blood test he and his team have developed may be one of the first and most important breakthroughs for diagnosing and destigmatizing ME/CFS.

The new test that he designed in collaboration with lead study author Dr Rahim Esfandyarpour works by measuring energy output from immune cells in the blood.

The so-called 'nanoelectronic assay' measures how much the energy outputs of these cells change when they are exposed to stress, in this case, modeled by salt.

Essentially, more change in the electrical activity or behavior of the cells when they were exposed to salt, the researchers thought, should indicate the the cells are less healthy and resilient.

When they tested the blood of 40 trial participants - 20 diagnosed with ME/CFS, 20 without - the results were as clear as day.

Those with ME/CFS had very reactive blood, while healthy immune cells were much less disturbed by the salt stress.

'We don't know exactly why the cells and plasma are acting this way, or even what they're doing,' Dr Davis said.

'But there is scientific evidence that this disease is not a fabrication of a patient's mind.

'We clearly see a difference in the way healthy and chronic fatigue syndrome immune cells process stress.'

Next, he and Dr Esfandyarpour plan to recreate their experiment with a much larger sample, and to test possible drugs to treat the condition without exposing patients themselves to such experiments.

PUBLISHED: 21:00, 29 April 2019 | UPDATED: 00:08, 30 April 2019

Last edited by a moderator:

mariovitali

we know that it is copaxone, right? see here: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...s-at-stanford-discussion-thread.61590/page-18

They also found two drugs not in common use work : suramin and compound 31

Upon further inspection, i found that copaxone appears to be hepatotoxic and also is listed on LiverTox database :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4528838/

A member here in PR has tried it out -unfortunately- with a negative outcome :

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/starting-copaxone.62406/

There are no entries for suramin and SS-31 on LiverTox database.

YippeeKi YOW !!

After so much time and so many false starts, so many " .... you know there's no such thing, don't you.....?", or, " ..... it's all in your head, ME isn't a real disease .....", or " .... you're just depressed, here's a prescription for an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety/anti-whatever prescription, call me for refills, NEXT PLEASE .....", this seems too good to be true, but you never know, do you?

So, in that spirit of the triumph of hope over experience then, here's the article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...r-possible-blood-test-chronic-fatigue-n999766

YippeeKi YOW !!

@valentinelynx
I hear you. But I thought that for newer members or Google browsers desperately searching for answers or hope (as I was) it might be helpful, or at least provide some sort of hope.

And whatever many of us may think of the Stanford research, at least they're doing some, tho I wish I could shake the paranoid belief that they're really just looking for new ways to use older BigPharma products, with BigPharm footing the bill.

The unfortunate choice of opinion-givers is easily explained by the nature of the author, himself a doctor. And it's a rare doctor that will admit to the validity of anything that addresses an illness they've all already discounted as bullshite because they have neither an understanding of it, nor the open-minded willingness to gain any.

It's all very frustrating, but a grain of hope is better than another handful of nothing.

valentinelynx

tho I wish I could shake the paranoid belief that they're really just looking for new ways to use older BigPharma products, with BigPharm footing the bill.

Why would you think that Ron Davis, whose son Whitney is severely ill, would be in cahoots with Big Pharma? He and his wife, Janet DaFoe, seem to me to be among the most genuine, kind people I have ever met. Plus, to my knowledge, none of his research is focused on drug treatments.

MEPatient345

And whatever many of us may think of the Stanford research, at least they're doing some, tho I wish I could shake the paranoid belief that they're really just looking for new ways to use older BigPharma products, with BigPharm footing the bill.
I think you are looking at it the wrong way.. it is MUCH better for all of us if researchers can find a drug that is already commercialized and FDA approved to be used for ME. It would save a decade of development and cost hundreds of millions less. Also, pharma footing the bill is how drugs get developed. No one else could afford to do it.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Bravo. But so far this result doesnt mean anything !?
Agreed.
Maybe the nanoneedle reacts just as well to MS, HIV, cancer, rheumatism, flu ...
But this might even be interesting as it would say that there is some illness, and if there isn´t a known illness it might be me/cfs.

And it could be interesting once more, because one could reason that in this case the mechanism of being ill is ill.
I am not sure though why an altered behaviour of white blood cells or some more cells would behave like so when an illness taked place, but who knows?!

Countrygirl

Here is a good poster made by Joan Mcparland in response to the paper. I thought it worth sharing:

1556634138330.png

*GG*

Isn't this "rich" coming from this douche nozzle?

"Wessely also noted that doctors and patients should not be disillusioned by the study's results.

“You don’t need a blood test to prove that an illness exists, and nor does the absence of such a test mean that it is 'all in the mind'.”

Rufous McKinney

Between several differing labs, countries and research facilities they keep finding: measurable differences between the ME/CFS severe cohorts and healthy people.

We have a growing list of: these differences (see: heart rate, grey matter, non-deforming red blood cells, plasma weird, bad mix in the intestines, lactic acid pink brain, HPLA axis messed up, the immune cells, etc..) Then add the spinal/cervical/POTS-swarm. Measurable differences in this: I will call them subgroup. I think we most likely clearly have subgroups. In that regard, I believe ME is a syndrome with various versions.

And so: they report on a SINGLE test being published. Use the worn out old catch-all name Chronic Fatigue.

And every article discusses: made up, psychological. When will this stop?

So I am all powerful: maybe thru thought, I can alter my red blood cell deformability. But can I alter my grey matter?

Can I psychological alter my own grey matter?

Nobody gets a Nobel Prize for reporting here, as far as I am concerned. The stereotyping lives on.

ljimbo423

Well, I did read in a court transcript where Wessely was called as an expert witness (of what?) that he told the court that what he knew about the immune system you could write on a postage stamp.

If this is true then a quotation of that transcript might be a relevant finding for newspapers at this time?

Good thinking!:thumbsup: Since the tests Ron did with the nanoneedle were on immune cells.

Rufous McKinney

Since the tests Ron did with the nanoneedle were on immune cells

I thought this test was plasma? I still need to get the actual article and read it.

So it seems hard for me to believe that Wesseley would say that in court. Would like to see that transcript. What did he claim he was an expert in? Speculative Opinion?

ljimbo423

I thought this test was plasma? I still need to get the actual article and read it.

Results and Discussion
Initial Motivation. The cardinal feature of ME/CFS is considered
to be a worsening of symptoms postexertion known as postexertional
malaise (20). To mimic this condition on a cellular
level, we introduced a stressor into the patient’s clinical samples,
composed of isolated PBMCs incubated in their own plasma.

In this test Ron added salt to cfs cells and measured the resistance to the stress of the added salt.

I think you might be thinking of a different test Ron did that showed the plasma in CFS patients caused cellular dysfunction in healthy cells? . If I remember right and there's no guarantee for that!:lol:;)

This is a link to the full paper. Credit to @Countrygirl for first posting this link:thumbsup: https://sci-hub.se/10.1073/pnas.1901274116

Last edited: