International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Niagen and methylation?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by vortex, Sep 13, 2018.

1. vortex

vortex Senior Member

Everything you read about Niagen/NMN etc. seems like it should be able to repair our mitochondria function.

But since alot of us have mthfr and niagen/nmn is a nicotinamide/niacin molecule
    it will inhibit our methylation.

Is there any work around?

Is it possible to simply take extra methylfolate etc. to compensate for the inhibition effect of taking nicotinamide based niagen?

or does any appreciable amount of niacin molecules shut down methylation that it isnt practical or possible to take enough methylfolate to feasibly take to balance out the inhibition effect of NAD?

What do you think @Freddd ?

thanks!

2. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    I have not found Niagen (nicotinamide riboside) to be helpful at all, at any dose. We suspect I have a broken pathway to convert NR to NAD+.

I got an hour's benefit out of 20mg Enada NADH, enough to get me through a workout.

But getting straight NAD+, either IV or sublingual, about 150mg a day, has given me a more normal daily life. A word of warning - almost all products that say they are NAD are not, they are some precursor, like niacin or NR - those will not work like true NAD+..

I have huge methylation needs, taking significant doses of 5-MTHF, MB12, P5P, R5P, TMG, magnesium, potassium, methionine, B1 and molybdenum.

My doctor says all the NAD and precursor products are still niacin and will negatively impact methylation, but that we can compensate by upping the methylsting nutrients.

I have not run into an NMN product but would be interested in trying it, just to see if the conversion works for me. Do you know of one?

S-VV and vortex like this.
  3. vortex

vortex Senior Member

Well sure, there are several NMN products, were you not able to find any on amazon?
    I can search on there and post them if you need to.

But please tell me more about the injections of NAD+ you are getting.

Is it a slow drip in an IV bag I assume?

I am impressed your doctor understand NAD and methylation impairment. Maybe I need to go see your doc. I just lost my doc and I have to search for a new one and it is hard to find a doc that is on the cutting edge.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

See more popular forum discussions.