Niagen and methylation?

vortex

Everything you read about Niagen/NMN etc. seems like it should be able to repair our mitochondria function.

But since alot of us have mthfr and niagen/nmn is a nicotinamide/niacin molecule
it will inhibit our methylation.

Is there any work around?

Is it possible to simply take extra methylfolate etc. to compensate for the inhibition effect of taking nicotinamide based niagen?

or does any appreciable amount of niacin molecules shut down methylation that it isnt practical or possible to take enough methylfolate to feasibly take to balance out the inhibition effect of NAD?

What do you think @Freddd ?

thanks!

Learner1

Administrator
I have not found Niagen (nicotinamide riboside) to be helpful at all, at any dose. We suspect I have a broken pathway to convert NR to NAD+.

I got an hour's benefit out of 20mg Enada NADH, enough to get me through a workout.

But getting straight NAD+, either IV or sublingual, about 150mg a day, has given me a more normal daily life. A word of warning - almost all products that say they are NAD are not, they are some precursor, like niacin or NR - those will not work like true NAD+..

I have huge methylation needs, taking significant doses of 5-MTHF, MB12, P5P, R5P, TMG, magnesium, potassium, methionine, B1 and molybdenum.

My doctor says all the NAD and precursor products are still niacin and will negatively impact methylation, but that we can compensate by upping the methylsting nutrients.

I have not run into an NMN product but would be interested in trying it, just to see if the conversion works for me. Do you know of one?

vortex

I have not run into an NMN product but would be interested in trying it, just to see if the conversion works for me. Do you know of one?
Well sure, there are several NMN products, were you not able to find any on amazon?
I can search on there and post them if you need to.

But please tell me more about the injections of NAD+ you are getting.

Is it a slow drip in an IV bag I assume?

I am impressed your doctor understand NAD and methylation impairment. Maybe I need to go see your doc. I just lost my doc and I have to search for a new one and it is hard to find a doc that is on the cutting edge.

Last edited:

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
[QUOTE="
My doctor says all the NAD and precursor products are still niacin and will negatively impact methylation, but that we can compensate by upping the methylsting nutrients.
[/QUOTE]

This is curious. Why would B3 negatively affect nethylation? I am planning to try NR by the way and wondered if you all had tried that cuz it was thought it would help chronic fatigue. I just read about a study in the latest Life Extension mag that says it helps Parkinsons too anong many other things like brain and heart. You are a special cas3 with a specific gene mutation other cfs's may not have. It sounds worth a try. Also, life extension has a new supplement out that kills senescent cells that is supposed to roll back a lot of health problems...mebbe worth a try...the one that made me think of trying it is that it is also supposed to help joint problems. But again , it is supposed to help with many of the health problems of aging of which fatigue is certainly one (not necesarily cfs, but still, perhaps worth a try).

So I was going to bring up this supplement as something of potential interest to cfs folks but you put it in as a topic header so surely everyone is aware of this supplement now and thought about trying it. Yes, it's expensive and sometimes good health costs more than we can afford. I wonder if there's a food source to obtain this or, as you say, sufficient niacin and ribose so one's body can take it from there. Freddd, who recovered from nerve damage, used to tout ribose among his protocol suggestions. I never understood what it was supposed to do for you...I mean it's a sugar and don't we get enough of that? I react very poorly to sugar...but maybe all put together in NR it becomes magical... one dan only hope. (Byw is NAD+ expensive?)