• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. O

Do supportive supplements increase methyation need?

I started with a minimalist approach (MB12 and Mfolate) but have begun to supplement some things like B1/B complex and potassium/electrolytes. Those things have been of benefit, but they've caused other issues, most notably depression and/or anxiety/nervousness. I removed niacin from the...
  2. O

Need good info on Vasoconstriction, NADH, B3

I'm still experiencing a lot of achiness as I try to ramp up slowly on MB12 and MFolate. I don't *think* it's a methyltrap or overmethylation symptom, and the addition of B1/Thiamin hasn't seemed to meet the need. I'm thinking, per @Critterina 's advice, I may be needing NADH or B3. I'm...
  3. O

Achey, poor circulation

Good thoughts. I will keep tracking on the B1/Thiamin. The refeeding thing makes sense, too. Also, I've just ordered an electrolyte powder with 1000 mg potassium citrate per serving. Non-GMO, no sugar, and I like that it's just electrolytes, nothing else to cloud the picture. It's this one...
  4. O

Achey, poor circulation

@Mary OK, Mary, I've just posted above and would love your input there, too, but I've just read the link you posted on Thiamin deficiency ( http://www.stewartnutrition.co.uk/nutritional_emergencies/acute_thiamine_deficiency.html ) and would like to mention some other things... I'm thinking...
  5. O

Achey, poor circulation

Thank you, Mary. I really appreciate your helpfulness. ...and patience with questions about things you've already posted. I will dig in to those links. Meanwhile... I've been having good progress as I've been tinkering, although I'm still not sure what's doing what. These are the things...
  6. O

Achey, poor circulation

Thanks so much, Mary. Yes, I do have a practitioner -- a functional medicine MD who actually specializes in epigenetics/MTHFR, etc. (You'd think I'd be further along than I am, but I was so bad off and so sensitive, it's been a long journey. ...and things would seem to not be working, so I'd...
  7. O

Achey, poor circulation

@Mary ; good tip about potassium gluconate. One other question about potassium. I have had symptoms before that I discerned were from low potassium -- heart palpitations/racing heart, and the classic cramping etc. But I'm not having those particular symptoms right now. Is it possible for...
  8. O

Achey, poor circulation

OK; this is very interesting. I've known that the FDA limits potassium pills to 99 mg, and I'd thought that was because of the dangers of overdose at levels much higher than that. So I've scratched my head at the notion that the RDA is so much higher. So, I did a search. Wouldn't you know my...
  9. O

Achey, poor circulation

Will check it out -- thanks! I am being mindful of potassium. I am taking 99 mg/day...which I realize may be a pittance relative to the general wisdom here...but I'm nervous about taking too much, as I understand too much can be very dangerous as well, yes? Any wisdom on how to manage...
  10. O

Achey, poor circulation

No, I haven't been supplementing other Bs. Maybe I should try adding Thiamine, as it keeps getting mentioned. I will say I tried some methionine last night, and was much less achey this morning. The B12/Folate angle is helping me in major ways, so I think I'm on the right track...but getting...
  11. O

Achey, poor circulation

So, I'm going along trying to get B12 and Folate going, and I'm having symptoms I'm trying to decipher. The latest is that I wake up quite achey, especially in my lower legs, and I seem to have poor circulation, almost feeling numb in some areas. Does that strike y'all as being from too...
  12. O

Methylation Cycle Questions -- Need Help Deciphering Symptoms

OK; thanks for the help. I have a related question, about a particular symptom, but I'll post it in a separate thread with the subject line, "achey, poor circulation." Would appreciate any thoughts... Thanks, OTC
  13. O

@alicec I'm a bit familiar with Thiamine, not as much with biotin and not at all with choline. Is choline usually pretty easy-going/forgiving to take, or is it one of those things that you have to be real careful with so as to not throw oneself out of the boat (as with methylfolate)? I imagine...
  14. O

So -- the "Methylation for Dummies" version -- Are you saying that a little choline, thiamine, and biotin would likely help in my case? (Hopefully methylation will help bring my brain back to life so I'll be able to better digest this type of info!) OTC
  15. O

@robinhood12345 Is it usually such that it makes a person need *more* choline, thiamine, and/or biotin? ...or more along the lines of meaning a person can't tolerate those? Here are my SNPs -- any thoughts? COMT 158+62+ Taq+ MAO 297+ MTHFR 677+ 1298+ MTRR 66+ 664+ BHMT 8+ AHCY 1+ 19+ CBS...
  16. O

Odd Skin issue from B12 (?)

I'm having good success -- finally -- with very gradually stepping my toe into getting my methylation cycle going, but a kink has appeared that is threatening to derail my progress. Here's the scoop... I'm taking 500 mcg of methylB12 morning and night and have *just* begun to add in about 100...
  17. O

Thank you all for the very helpful feedback. I'm digging in on these things. OTC
  18. O

@alicec Thank you for the heads-up for avoiding misinformation. I get a little lost in the technical talk. Could you help me get my brain around the main take-away from this? I'm gathering that perhaps the need to hyper-analyze one's SNPs and add in this and that to juggle their supposed...
  19. O

Oh, Wow -- I just have to say thank you for sending this -- this post looks amazing.
  20. O

First of all, thanks for the responses. Secondly, I know some forums request that you not send "Thank You" responses, so as to not clutter up the forum. Is that the preference here, or are thank-yous appreciated? OneTough
  21. O

Hello, Is there a post somewhere that gives a handy outline of what symptoms indicate a need for what in relation to the methylation cycle? I'm having some success with tackling my health issues from that angle -- getting my methylation cycle going, which had evidently all but died -- but it's...