• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Cycle Questions -- Need Help Deciphering Symptoms

The first COMT and the two MTHFR SNPs do slow the respective enzymes, though +/- would have a small effect.

So -- the "Methylation for Dummies" version -- Are you saying that a little choline, thiamine, and biotin would likely help in my case? (Hopefully methylation will help bring my brain back to life so I'll be able to better digest this type of info!)

OTC

alicec

Are you saying that a little choline, thiamine, and biotin would likely help in my case?

Well choline is an important dietary source of methyl groups which are useful in sustaining the methylation cycle and is a precursor to phosphatidyl choline, a critical membrane component, plus is used in forming the neurotransmitter choline. So adequate choline intake is important.

Thiamine and biotin are cofactors for enzymes used in energy pathways, so again adequate intake is important.

I wasn't the one who suggested that SNPs relating to these substances were relevant to the methylation cycle. I'm not sure what SNPs are being referred to.

So yes these substances may be helpful, but not based on anything you have said about your SNPs.

@alicec I'm a bit familiar with Thiamine, not as much with biotin and not at all with choline. Is choline usually pretty easy-going/forgiving to take, or is it one of those things that you have to be real careful with so as to not throw oneself out of the boat (as with methylfolate)? I imagine you're not a doc, and disclaimers are assumed, but what would be a typical dose of choline (and Thiamine and biotin) for folks like us? Can you give me an idea of what kind of symptoms would be indicators of a need for each? I imagine low energy for thiamine and biotin. What might tell me that I'm needing choline? ...oh, and should I consider taking phosphatidyl choline? What are the reasons for taking plain choline instead? (This is all so helpful -- thanks!)
OTC

pamojja

Can you give me an idea of what kind of symptoms would be indicators of a need for each? I imagine low energy for thiamine and biotin. What might tell me that I'm needing choline? ...oh, and should I consider taking phosphatidyl choline? What are the reasons for taking plain choline instead?

Many subclinical vitamin deficiencies aren't felt at all for many years. Most choline comes from eggs, so if one isn't eating any one is probably deficient in choline. Here a list of foods highest in choline. The form doesn't matter that much, as long as you're tolerating it well. I would always start a new supplement with the lowest possible dose (by dividing pills or caps, and start taking parts only), and increase gradually over time, and see how it goes.

Main reason for that is, that needs in nutrients are very individual. By slowly titrating one is most likely to find an individually optimal dose in time. Which might not happen if one only takes prescribed doses.

OK; thanks for the help. I have a related question, about a particular symptom, but I'll post it in a separate thread with the subject line, "achey, poor circulation." Would appreciate any thoughts...
Thanks,
OTC