• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. DoggerFisher

Pregnancy, birth and ME/CFS- my experience

Congratulations and well done @Bookworm84 May you and baby continue to thrive
  2. DoggerFisher

CFS and applying to university- do i mention it?

I work for a university in the UK and I say absolutely YES. There is a section on the application where students can tick a box to say if they have a condition for which they might need assistance - this then goes to student support whose job, guess what, is to support students. YES YES...
  3. DoggerFisher

First time in remission with ketogenic diet

Just a short post for @leokitten to say I had pasta last night it was bloody delicious (absence does make the heart grow fonder!) but along with it came inexplicable anxiety as it fired something up and this morning terrible aching joints and muscle pain. Yes, like a hangover, complete with...
  4. DoggerFisher

Extreme hunger during parts of a crash/relapse

If I do have anything with sugar or sweet even a carrot it will set off that kind of scenario, dissatisfaction I would say rather than hunger if I leave most carbs alone my energy, though limited, is a whole heap steadier. I go for cheese.
  5. DoggerFisher

Age 70+...How’s Your CFS?

I'm 48 going on 140. My best (only) friend is 92. I have more in common with her than people my own age . Sometimes I think one of the few things the illness has given me is a head start on old age and what a horrible shock it's going to be for the rest of them.
  6. DoggerFisher

Specific questions re heart rate monitoring

I'm adding to an old thread here (to prove I've read it!) before I ask: HRM is it worth it?! What's the cheapest device that will do what I need to do? My pulse is so weak as to be undetectable most of the time Why does my brain hurt when I read about what i need to do to work it out?! For...
  7. DoggerFisher

Thanks for sharing @leokitten so much of that chimes. Except as you say the reset but I've had it way longer 40 years but with periods of more normal life. Am still working by the skin of my teeth but it is as you describe and I think most of my colleagues think I'm antisocial and probably have...
  8. DoggerFisher

New website on severe ME

It's amazing @Naomi10 I'm in awe of what you've managed to achieve.
  9. DoggerFisher

CALL TO ACTION! NICE ARE BETRAYING US!

@Deepwater well done for resisting the bad language. Always a challenge for me. The tireder I am the more I like to curse
  10. DoggerFisher

CALL TO ACTION! NICE ARE BETRAYING US!

Um so I wrote to NICE and got a not very nice reply, a bit shirty. Since then I have asked two more questions and am still waiting for a response to either.... I think they might have got quite a few emails.....
  11. DoggerFisher

A role for viral infections in Parkinsons etiology

I can't read the paper right now but am alarmed that I now have symptoms very similar to my mother who has Parkinsons including a hand clenching thing and cramps and bladder issues and spinal issues. Not sure what to do. If I did not have ME diagnosis I feel these would be something I"'d take to...
  12. DoggerFisher

When you're too exhausted/sleepy to open your eyes...

Yay! Finally. I feel less mad now. I find them SO helpful
  13. DoggerFisher

How do you rest?

@Malea it's a life saver. my favourites are Guenther Georg 20 minute tunes. listen low volume on headphones and you don't have to do anything else. Have other favourites if you get into it we will start that other thread
  14. DoggerFisher

How do you rest?

I need to have a 20 minute lie down around 2pm mostly. And 11am as well. I lie down and put eye mask on. Doing anything like watching TV or reading for me is not a rest it's an activity that sometimes I'm too tired for. I use a marvellous free ap called insight timer. It's great! It rewards me...
  15. DoggerFisher

Homeopathy

@filfla4 best of luck to you. I hope you find a solution. Please do PM if you need to.
  16. DoggerFisher

Homeopathy

@digital dog check with your homeopath.... when I was super sick a sniff of a remedy was enough.... an aggravation is technically an overdose.... "standard" homeopathy doses though risibly small to our hyper rational friends can still be too much for sensitive person but the fact they elicit a...
  17. DoggerFisher

Homeopathy

I have no wish to get flamed am heartened you are having success. you can always make a remedy gentler by dissolving in water and taking a little of the water. makes them go further. big aggravations are not necessary. happy for you. pwme are VERY sensitive to the remedies so go steady :thumbsup:
  18. DoggerFisher

Brain Damage?

Our brains are "hot"! :thumbsup: I always new it was my best feature
  19. DoggerFisher

Time to stop work?

good luck @nettle_tea
  20. DoggerFisher

I am enjoying this thread because I too got benefit from going keto the main one being to my eyes which improved in 3 days so I could read / spend time on computer. BUT had to get electrolytes right. initially was insomnia with racing heart. read bodybuilder forums to make own electrolyte mix...
  21. DoggerFisher

Time to stop work?

anytime you want a chat let me know or we will fill up a whole thread.... :rofl:
  22. DoggerFisher

Time to stop work?

@sissypop if I wasn't mentally disturbed before I sure as hell am now! it's a constant dilemma between telling the truth and pretending everything is fine work wise. I don't know the answer. worst thing is I stopped for a holiday which has switched off all the adrenalin and whatever else is...
  23. DoggerFisher

Time to stop work?

@sissypop sorry for your troubles. I only work and walk the dog (most of the time!). Have had to give up other jobs (relationships, houses etc) because of this. worried more now as older so it might be the last one I get to give up. also alone. parents still alive but mother is ill and...
  24. DoggerFisher

Time to stop work?

This is a really tough decision @nettle_tea I know I need to stop and it seems so attractive but so difficult to cope with the admin involved!
  25. DoggerFisher

Sugar cravings

this won't be informative as I am no science brain (even when I had a brain!) but I think one of the reasons keto diet works for some is it is helpful for stabilising blood sugar. writing this from place of crash I suspect might be partly to do with deciding I would eat whatever I liked (cake)...
  26. DoggerFisher

When you're too exhausted/sleepy to open your eyes...

Binaural beats. Try Guenther Georg on free app Insight Timer. You listen at very low volume. I find them very restful for my brain and use daily. Especially when too tired for words or thinking.
  27. DoggerFisher

EXTREMELY uncomfortable muscles- like body wide restless legs syndrome

D-ribose made me very jumpy. even a tiny amount. and not in a good way.
  28. DoggerFisher

"You and yours" BBC phone in on "chronic fatigue" -26 sept

Excellent @Mrs Sowester you really are trying hard :)
  29. DoggerFisher

don't you do that already @Mrs Sowester ? :rofl:
  30. DoggerFisher

off to buy some broad beans....