• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A role for viral infections in Parkinsons etiology

Sidny

http://www.neuronalsignaling.org/content/2/2/NS20170166

I thought this paper was fascinating and elucidates the roles HSV, Influnenza and Coxsackie B viruses may play in the disease with their affinities for nervous system tissue.

I think much of it is even applicable to ME/CFS as I believe it is somewhat of a waste basket diagnosis and upstream of many eventual neurodegenerative conditions.

Interestingly, many of my symptoms mirror those of early Parkinsons that developed following a bout of suspected meningitis/encephalitis as a result of contracting HSV and possibly Coxsackie.

DoggerFisher

I can't read the paper right now but am alarmed that I now have symptoms very similar to my mother who has Parkinsons including a hand clenching thing and cramps and bladder issues and spinal issues. Not sure what to do. If I did not have ME diagnosis I feel these would be something I"'d take to GP but I know I will not be heard. They seem to try and climb out of the window as I come in the door.