• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I don't expect ME/CFS to ever be included in that.

Space Exploration Human Spaceflight

Para-astronaut John McFall hopes to see an ISS astronaut with a disability fly by 2030 (exclusive, video)
News
By Elizabeth Howell
published 18 August 2024

"By the end of this decade, hopefully that would have happened."

https://www.space.com/iss-paraastronaut-2030-john-mcfall-esa-interview-exclusive

ESA and NASA worked on Phase 1 of the "Fly!" study in 2022, before McFall was selected, to discuss the range of physical disabilities that may be accommodated on the ISS. They looked at case studies in literature from the military, for example, detailing how members with physical injuries returned to active service.

The agencies decided to conduct a feasibility study on lower limb disabilities, determining this to be an easier first step for inclusion than addressing vision, hearing or upper limbs, McFall said. This led to the call for para-astronauts that resulted in McFall's selection. Then, McFall and other team members moved forward on the feasibility study, which was discussed publicly last month. (The study is not available for release yet, but should be by spring 2025, McFall added.)

Having what is termed "brain fog" as part of my disabling illnesses I would not push to be included as an astronaut candidate.
Nor would I push for anyone having that to be included.

While Aviators are not Astronauts, my Dad and Granddad were pilots and I have full understanding of the reasons Brain Fog would be a very bad thing to have when operating an aircraft or spacecraft.

Brain fog hit me at ground level while operating a job tool of a type I had used for over a decade, all of a sudden while right in the middle of using it I had no idea how to operate it or even what it did.
And that lasted for over a day.

Have you ever noticed that thing were people will say "it goes without saying" and then immediately say what they just said does not need to be said?
🤔
I'm gonna do that right here and right now ...

It goes without saying that you really don't want brain fog to happen when operating complex machinery at altitude or in vacuum.
😳😲🫣
Reactions: Dysfunkion

Comments

Maybe if said astronaut has others in there helping them and they aren't doing much work at all but I agree with this condition I would not even want to be flying when I'm the one paying for it. Long car rides in for me in general aren't a great experience. I can't drive myself because I can't handle all the tasks on the road at once while paying attention to it properly. I know everyone isn't this severe in the cognitive department but even so I can't imagine piloting a ship is going to be anything but even harder than a car.

People underestimate how bad brain fog can get, if I pace well and avoid enough immune triggers and stay under my PEM load my brain fog is manageable enough to hold a job but I get confused or a little lost in the middle of tasks even so occasionally. If I for example though completely expose myself to all my common triggers, exhaust myself, and throw myself into any stimulating environment with a specific task to do my brain will do things like mix up moving my left and right hand as well as coordinate those movements with connected motor tasks and forget chaining tasks together properly and communication. I'll also frequently just blank out and take too long to know what to do next. I wouldn't last too long if I didn't keep it in line.

Blog entry information

Author
southwestforests
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from southwestforests

Back