• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Say what? Book title misspelled on cover?

Dear Amazon, I would like to congratulate you for successfully amusing me. :balloons::trophy:🎂

Now there's a thing I've not seen before. 🧐
Last month for "Happy Birthday to Me" I splurged on ordering 2 boxed sets of acrylic model paint of premixed skin tones for various ethnicities, and on ordering 2 recently published, 2022 and 2023, spaceflight books I'd been wanting.

Books are by a fellow who was a NASA flight controller during the moon landing era, and also tested space suits, and also was crew in an atmospheric research aircraft.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/author/B07B4G7WXF/about

They are offered by Amazon as print on demand.
I'd rather have books with their color images printed on glossy clay-coated paper, but hey, I'm, poor, these are affordable, and most importantly, it is quite likely that 'print on demand' is The Thing which makes them even available at all.

But ...

Of all the books I've gotten through the decades, some dating back to 1910 ...

That one is the first I've ever seen having its title misspelled anywhere on its cover!

Future is spelled correctly everywhere else I can remember seeing it in the book.

When coming across misspelled words in my own writing it is sometimes fun to play in Google and see if that misspelling might be an actual word. Have found some which are. Can't remember a one of them right now, but some misspellings have turned out to be actual words.

As has "Furute" there on the spine ...

https://www.nihongomaster.com/japanese/dictionary/word/25234/furute-古手-ふるて

disused article; ex-soldier; retired official

So, tell me, what's the probability of Amazon's print on demand computer having had a moment of brain fog?
🤔🤣

IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_7002.JPG

Monday, must have been printed on a Monday.
😁

Comments

And ... as of last Wednesday, July 17, 2024, day before this blog entry was posted, book with misspelling on spine needs revision on pages 60, 61, 62,
https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/nasa-ends-viper-project-continues-moon-exploration/

Following a comprehensive internal review, NASA announced Wednesday its intent to discontinue development of its VIPER (Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover) project.

NASA stated cost increases, delays to the launch date, and the risks of future cost growth as the reasons to stand down on the mission. The rover was originally planned to launch in late 2023, but in 2022, NASA requested a launch delay to late 2024 to provide more time for preflight testing of the Astrobotic lander. Since that time, additional schedule and supply chain delays pushed VIPER’s readiness date to September 2025, and independently its CLPS (Commercial Lunar Payload Services) launch aboard Astrobotic’s Griffin lander also has been delayed to a similar time. Continuation of VIPER would result in an increased cost that threatens cancellation or disruption to other CLPS missions. NASA has notified Congress of the agency’s intent.

“We are committed to studying and exploring the Moon for the benefit of humanity through the CLPS program,” said Nicola Fox, associate administrator, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters in Washington. “The agency has an array of missions planned to look for ice and other resources on the Moon over the next five years. Our path forward will make maximum use of the technology and work that went into VIPER, while preserving critical funds to support our robust lunar portfolio.”

Moving forward, NASA is planning to disassemble and reuse VIPER’s instruments and components for future Moon missions. Prior to disassembly, NASA will consider expressions of interest from U.S. industry and international partners by Thursday, Aug. 1, for use of the existing VIPER rover system at no cost to the government. Interested parties should contact HQ-CLPS-Payload@mail.nasa.gov after 10 a.m. EDT on Thursday, July 18. The project will conduct an orderly close out through spring 2025.

Blog entry information

Author
southwestforests
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from southwestforests

Back