• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV Patent application Judy A. Mikovits Francis W. Ruscetti San

ixchelkali

:eek: My head hurts :headache::confused:

LOL! Mine, too!

spinal fluid
:eek::D

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

I've suspected for a very long time that they would one day be looking in our brains.
Yeah, but still...ouch. :eek:

I see why Einstein quit his job as a patent clerk. It was easier to figure out the fabric of the universe than to understand one of these applications.

:D:D:D:Sign Good one:

Controversy, is there any controversy over the Prostate Cancer claims of linkage with XMRV. I mean, the association is in the 20-30% and is anyone claiming foul on the studies and claims afterward?

Or is it just us that have to deal with this mess? Same testing method, but much higher association.

Tina

Yeah, the jury's still out on XMRV causality there, too. The difference is that every news report doesn't say "prostate cancer, a controversial disease..."

ixchelkali

Questions

This is an antibody test, right? (from [0014])
*These methods include, without limitation, ELISA, Western Blot, radioimmunoassay, immunoprecipitation, fluorescence detection methods, such as flow cytometry/fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) assays

Based on Nos. 65-68, it sounds like it measures titer of viral load, too, right? So when they start testing antiretrovirals, theyll be able to check that its working by the viral load?

Has anybody seen this (from [0008])?
McCormick et al. recently explored the candidacy of XMRV in ALS; however, they did not find XMRV in the blood or CSF of the 25 ALS patients where reverse transcriptase (RT) was detected (McCormick, A. L., et al., Neurology 70: 278, 2008).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
I wonder if they would find it in cultured blood serum or prostate tissue? WHERE DOES THIS BUG HIDE?

The present inventors have developed and disclose herein methods of detecting antibody against the gammaretrovirus Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus (XMRV) in a subject. Furthermore, the present inventors have established that a diagnosis of a neurological disease such as a neuroimmune disease, or a lymphoma in a subject can correlate with infection with XMRV. In various aspects, a subject can be a person having, suspected of having, or at risk for developing an XMRV-related disease.
Wow.

I wonder if they have looked for XMRV in all of these diseases yet (Mantle Cell Lymphoma, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia lymphoma, Niemann-Pick Type C Disease, fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson's Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and autism)? Are they testing Parkinsons patients even as we wait for publication of an ME/CFS replication study? Gee, wouldnt it be something if this one retrovirus could be a significant clue to the pathogenesis of all these diseases?

Im surprised it doesnt mention Gulf War Syndrome.

Accordingly, in various embodiments of the present teachings, detection and/or quantification of antibodies against XMRV in a subject can be used to diagnose an XMRV-related disease, monitor progress of an XMRV-related disease, or determine efficacy of a treatment of an XMRV-related disease in a subject.
Sweet! Yes, I understand that a patent application is by nature speculative; its not a peer-reviewed controlled study. But still, music to my ears, and cause for hope.

I havent managed to read all the way through it yet, because my brain is shutting down. :sleepy: